HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Caroline has passed on

It is with great sadness that I learned today that our Caroline has passed on.

She was a passionate, incredibly informed, strong, brave and tenacious person who sought to increase her knowledge and understanding and to share it with all who would listen. I so admired her. We've emailed and spent hours on the phone (from Britsh Columbia to Boca Florida).

A true lady, a wonderful, caring, devoted wife and mother, sister and friend.

I am told by her youngest sister that she was surrounded by her family and slipped away in her sleep. She never gave up and we spoke intimately of her struggle.

My love goes with her to her new home. I hope to meet her one day and give her the biggest longest hug, transmitting my feelings directly to her.

She valued her Sisters on line and found great comfort and support among us. She offered hers readily in return, always.

The link to her obiturary is below and you can leave condolences to her family there, wish I will definitely know. She had many friends but I want Wolfgang and her children to know how much she meant to us. Surely they know how truly special she was. I know she was cherished by husband, her three children and her three surviving sisters.

It was a privilege to know her and be a part of her journey. She touched my life and my heart deeply.

http://www.myalternatives.ca/trail/o...line-charlotte
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
carlatte7

Re: Caroline has passed on

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for her family.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Carol Ann

Oh I am so sorry. Caroline was such a sweet and kind person, and always so encouraging to everyone. I will miss her.

We have lost so many recently. I hate this disease.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
StephN

Dear Andi,
Thanks for coming here with the sad news - always hard to make the tough announcements.

I could not get the link to work - got a 404 error message.

Indeed, Caroline was a smart cookie and did her best against this difficult disease. My prayers for peace and quiet hearts to her family and friends.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 07-05-2015 at 10:15 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
PinkGirl

just ignore the error message, tap on obituaries/condolences at the top left .. Scroll down the list of names to Caroline Koban.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
suzan w

Sucks...cancer sucks. Caroline, thank you for your presence...Andi, thank you for letting us know.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Yes, thanks Pink.

Koban, Caroline Charlotte

obituaries upper left

Funny when I first clicked it I didn't have an issue, but now I am.

Life keeps zigging and zagging.

I try to think of cancer as a bodily malfunction. Not an evil monster. YES. I DO NOT WANT IT. And I am always saddened to hear of its power over those I love.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
KDR

Caroline was a great woman. I will miss speaking with her.

Thanks, Andi, for letting us know.

Love Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Carol Ann

Yes, Andi, thanks.

I know your friendship with Caroline must have meant alot to her.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Kkmom

It is so sad to hear about Caroline, prayers and comfort to her family.
Herceptin, Carboplatin, Taxotere Started 6 rounds on 02/06/2013 Herceptin
Finished chemo - May 22, 2013
Radiation Therapy 06/12/2013 - 36X External
TM Marker - 13 October, 2013
TM Marker - 15 November, 2013
Annual Mammagram - 3D - Both Breast - CLEAR!!!
Colonscopy - 1st-Clear - November 18, 2013
CT Scan-Results-Clear - November 27, 2013
BC Diagnosis-1 Year - December 14, 2013
TM - holding steady at 15 - December 24, 2014
TM - 24.2 - January 12
Herceptin Treatment - Last One-February 4, 2014!!!
TM - 3.7 - February 4, 2014
MRI & CT - February 21, 2014 - All Clear
NED - and my doctor said - "well, it looks like you are NED - your MRI and CT are clear - Febuary 25, 2014
TM - 18.2 - February 21, 2014
Port Removed - Scheduled for Wed, March 19, 2014
Port Removed - Yeah!!! I feel lighter already!!!
TM - 15.3 - March 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Rt Breast - All Clear!!! - Tuesday, May 13, 2014
TM-15.5 - June 25, 2014
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram - Nov. 2014 All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammogram-Rt Only-May,2015-All Clear!!!
Diagnostic 3D Mammo-Annual-Nov 2015-Right Clear!!! - Left Breast-found 5 mm CYST. Aspirated - all clear!!
TM - Nov 2015 - 18.2
NED-December, 2015 - 3 Years NED!!!
TM-Feb 2016 - 13.7
TM-June 2016 - 13.3
TM-Oct 2016-10.0
Annual 3D Mammo-Nov, 2016-All Clear!!!

Annual Mammogram - November 2017 - ALL CLEAR. i AM 5 (YES) YEARS OUT!!!

NED - 10 Years Out!! - December, 2022
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Mtngrl

I'm especially sad for her and her family, and for those who were close to her.

Thank you, Andi, for letting us know. And you, especially, have my condolences.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
tricia keegan

So sad to log in here today and read this, thanks for letting us know Andi and my heart goes out to her family at this sad time, RIP Caroline.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
norkdo

so sorry. Many condolences. Cancer takes no prisoners.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Andrea Barnett Budin

Your kind words touch me and I thank you with a hug, albeit virtual it is real.

I have told Helen, Caroline's youngest sister, of your appreciation for our HER2 Sister. This deeply pleased her, as it seems Caroline expressed the bond she felt for all of us on line. Our words meant the world to her. I know you each understand this.

Love,
Andi

Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
Carol Ann

That is so nice to hear, Andi. YOU mean the world to all of us, too.

Carol Ann

Old 10-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
norkdo

I was rereading CarolineC's diagnosis information tonight and many of her kind messages to people and her support and positive energy. She had to drive three and a half hours for treatments. I was noticing how tragic was the too-soon departure of this certainly lovely lovely woman and I just feel terrible that there is no predicting by what stage you are in upon diagnosis when your end will come or how rough you will have it. I feel like we just have to do something about HER2. This is not acceptable. A good and kind person was she.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Andrea Barnett Budin

I appreciate your comments, Nora. Glad you have a blog, or SCREAM button, to vent. We all need one. I was moved by your search for answers, as I have done the same with each loved one from this site over too many years. I played detective to try to figure out what I could, to better understand.

Caroline and I have been together on this site for many years. She posted when I posted, though she read more than shared. I think she didn't like to complain and had such complex issues it was difficult to enumerate. We emailed for years as that seemed a good place to send long lists of what was happening. I did my best to help.

Then Karen said Caroline wanted to talk to me. I suppose she'd emailed me her phone # at times, but I am the worst phone buddy ever. Karen got me to move and for that I will always be grateful. Caroline and I had hour long talks often over the last many months. I loved hearing her voice and really got to know her and her family and her medical woes.

In 2014 she developed shingles. That's a signal your immune system is down. I had shingles after one month on Taxotere (when I recurred throughout my liver). My supplements hadn't built up enough to hold it at bay. And when you have shingles you not only have horrific debilitating pain but you cannot receive chemo, which you know you really need to kill off the cancer. Sigh.

When Caroline's doc gave her an injection for the pain management, she punctured her lung and that's when everything went to hell for Caroline. She began losing a lot of weight and it was alarming. She realized in retrospect that she had become severely dehydrated because she could not eat or drink. Her stomach was always upset. She realized she had an adrenyl problem a very sensitive system that reacted to the CT contrast and meds she was being given for various reasons. Her onc was on sabbatical (maternity leave) and her access to care was not good. That really upset me.

She had to cut out most foods. She couldn't process protein very well, nor dairy, nor soy. Her whole digestive system was affected and she was genuinely working to regain the weight. She was down to 87 lbs. Finally a doc began giving her digestive enzymes which seemed to help the belly pain at any rate. At first, tThe onc had thought her pancreas was involved and bounced her back to her gp who knew nothing about digestive enzymes. They wanted to insert a feeding tube. After carefully questioning the doc and nurse she discovered that it would involve receiving something that had dairy and soy in it. A nightmare as you can see. She was very proactive and refused the feeding tube. Worked with a dietician to create a plan.

Her upper stomach was burning so she did a castor oil pack for 20 min which seemed to help. She'd lost 30 lbs since the puncture. She saw a different onc in town that ordered a test and the pancreas was fine. She wished someone had done that 3 agonizing mnths sooner. She joked -- oh well, it's only my quality of life. Such a sweet tenacious lady!

She became so weak, she was so stressed by all the invasive procedures docs were suggesting, she stopped, trying to focus to getting better. She hoped she was making the right decision.

She mentioned that after she began taking B12 she noticed she could finally lay down in bed to sleep. For 6 mnths she would play musical beds trying to find something comfortable. I recall that with the pain of shingles. No place gave me relief. I guess that's what she was experiencing. Horrid.

The contrast dye threw her body so off it affected her heart function. Her ejection fraction was too low they said for her to have treatment. The EF was right after her MUGA which is invasive and she believes caused the issue. Shortly after she went for an ECHO and her EF was up to 65%. So she was able to get a reloading dose and she felt great. Her TMs had dropped. She started noticing the TMs rising and a pulling feeling on her left side.

She stopped drinking the contract by January, but still had the IV contrast. I must say I do not drink but 2 teaspoons of the contrast for many yrs. They told me I had to drink it or the scan wouldn't work. I kept cutting back and getting readings. I was finally down to 2 teaspoons. Poured the rest down the drain.

Caroline said the IV contrast caused dull headaches and pain down her right arm. Again she had an MUGA and a lowered EF and was denied treatment. Next time she asked for an ECHO instead and her EF was back up. She tried to tell her onc what she thought was happening, she told me, but he wouldn't listen. THAT INFURIATES ME.

After that the onc that was on sabbatical returned and told her THEY DON'T DELAY HERCEPTIN TREATMENTS BASED ON FLUCTUATING ECHOCARDIOGRAMS UNLESS THEY GO BELOW NORMAL -- and hers did not!!! AGAIN, THIS INFURIATED ME.

She was delayed twice in 4 mnths and she's sure the shingles started bewing after the first delay and blew up after the second delay.

Far more than a comedy of errors as you can see. After March 31 the MRI showed the adrenal "whatever" she called it, had stopped growing and was stable in the kidney. She believes this is because she stopping drinking the dye!!

At that point they were telling her that the calcification was scar tissue, not cancer. The chest CT in April of 2014 showed stable in the sternum where the cancer started.

In 2013 she was walking some 5k and 10k walks, eating better -- eating! and feeling not so bad. She had a bad reaction to a bone-building IV therapy called Pamidronate and discovered she was also feeling on a med she was on for 7 yrs and was only supposed to take for a short period of time. She finally figured things out on her own. It surely does not sound like she was getting proper care. She discontinued things she realized were causes her problems.

She thinks the Tamoxifen caused her to recur, which is what one of my docs told me when I recurred. I told me to flush the Tamoxifen down the toilet! That it could have caused the recurrance! She remembered my writing that. She discovered that she has a major problem metabolizing things and detoxifying.

She wrote me that she is from a small but beautiful area and there were many wellness people that have helped her. She knows a woman in her neighborhood who takes Immunocal ??? and a lot of supplements. And she is 7 yrs out and doing well. Caroline was informing herself, reading the information on the HER2 site and the internet.

So Caroline's story is obviously and long and complicated one. If it helps anyone get a little more insight or perspective, that is why I have spent the time to write all this to you, my Sisters, to share.

And, if you don't know me cause you're new and I've been a sabbatical for the last year -- NO, I AM NOT PREGNANT, LOL, not at age 71...!!! -- please read some of my threads. Andrea Barnett Budin. And most especially, please read my threads on WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS.

Off of Herceptin since '08. Alive and well. Some annoying mysterious things they needed to check out in the last few yrs, but all were/are BENIGN!!! Much stress and worry till the results are in, till the surgeries were scheduled and actually took place, but all good! I call myself a 20 yr survivor, having been dx at age 50 in 1995. That was before I or anyone had benefit of Herceptin, as it was in clinical trials. Luckily for me when I recurred throughout my liver in Aug of '98, in Sept of '98 the FDA fast-tracked Herceptin out of clinical trials and made it available to all metastatic bcers. Yrs later -- it was/is available to first liners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and Light...

As always, sorry so long, but I thought you should all know what I know. Informed is armed!

Andi

Old 10-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #18
suzan w

Thank you, Andi! As always you are a breath of fresh air in this stinking cancer storm.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
Andrea Barnett Budin

https://www.facebook.com/14376031531...334154/?type=3

Old 10-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #20
Juls

Hi Andi
Thank you for this insightful post.
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote