HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Joan M

Why am I not surprised?

How some pharmaceutical companies can benefit under the guise of advocacy.

Some how I feel like Shannon’s experiences below could have appeared in Metropolitan Diary, which runs in The New York Times every Monday. The column is basically quips that readers submit about what they overheard on a bus, for example. The quote below was copied from an email I received on a ListServ for cancer advocates.

There are many bc patient advocates on this board, but it's good to know where to draw the line with pharma and other companies that blend pushing their agendas and patient advocacy, such that advocacy really becomes a dog-and-pony show and not actually advocacy at all.

As you may or may not know, Myriad Genetics holds the patents for the BRCA1/2 genetic mutations for breast cancer, as well as the very expensive testing kit. The patents have been challenged in court, and the Supreme Court has decided to take up this case. Their decision will be monumental for us. Think about it: The tests are very expensive. if a woman tests positive for one or both the genes, she has nowhere to go to retest that result. In turn, she could decide on a double mastectomy. The Supreme Court will interpret a specific part of patent law.

(I removed some text from the second paragraph, because it specifically named a pharmaceutical company)

Joan

"Well, I've had two very eye-opening experiences this week that I must share. I was having frozen yogurt with my daughter's 5th grade class, chatting with a mom. She told me she was a cancer research advocate. Imagine my surprise and excitement...I asked her what she was working on and she told me she is employed by a company here in Seattle that is hired by Pharma to seek out patients using their drugs, have the patients tell their stories in video or for printed work. In addition, she often lines up travel, hotels for them to attend conferences so they can tell how a particular drug played into their treatment. I had several moments of keeping my emotional brain in check, weighing the pros and cons of speaking my mind, and decided to walk away knowing we will see each other often this year......Her title is Patient Advocate on her business card.

"And, the second, not so much about research advocacy but about how much work there is to be done...I was invited to attend a smaller health system's breast cancer tumor board. 5 cases to present. As we did introductions around the table, I was introduced to somebody who assisted high risk patients with genetic testing. I assumed a nurse or genetic counselor. She was consulted several times during the meeting about genetic testing. Following the meeting, I chatted with her. I asked for her card. She was an employee of Myriad, who sells the testing kits for BRCA1/2. Imagine having a representative from [a pharmaceutical company] at a Breast Tumor Board with five doctors present and the doctors are deciding what treatment to give a patient - sometimes engaging in discussion with that representative.....I have read about these things but to see it personally was so shocking. I spoke to the breast doctor leading the tumor board and we are scheduled for a follow up next week."

Man, do we have a long ways to go......

Shannon
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 01-25-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Joanne S

Re: Why am I not surprised?

Pharma priorities---$$$$$---greed!
Terribly while patients --- casualities!
Sad, sad, sad! Pathetic!
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Jackie07

I'd had my genetic testing done by Myriad through my doctor/hospital/health insurance. At first my doctor was reluctant to order the testing because I did not fit the ethnic profile and he did not think the Jews in Kaifeng, China could have had anything to do with a Chinese immgrated from Taiwan.

But it was approved (probably because of the recurrence) and I got some blood drawn in the hospital (?) and a month (2?) later received the result. I did have a tiny bit of BRCA variant gene feature that was deemed 'a variant of uncertain significance' (BRCA1-VUS). Later, after another family member was diagnosed with an HNPCC related cancer, I requested and was approved to have a prophylactic hysterectomy/oophorectomy.

The surgeon told us afterwards that there's hyperplasia in the lining of the uterus already. I was glad to have been on this board to learn all sorts of BC-related informaton. (One of the members had told me about the history of the Jewish diaspora in China...)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-26-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Jackie07

'lizabdgh had posted a thread on the Myriad case:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=BRCA+genes

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
'lizbeth

Yes, I did post about this company. I want them to make a profit. But the current situation is detrimental to BRCA+ cancer patients.

My friend is in a Stanford study for a PARP inhibitor. We suspect the treatment is the difference between beating cancer and progression. However, it was iffy about her being in the trial. Due to the small population the treatment will not likely be profitable.

I don't know the particulars. I only know the current system of cancer research does not favor the patient. I see person after person who loses their life to cancer because a treatment in a clinical trial is not available to them. I see others who participate and still do not receive the new drugs. Their death is an acceptable loss to ensure the integrity of the data.

I'm in a clinical trial, I also could be an acceptable loss. However, I could be one of the lucky ones who is gaining quantity and quality of life.

I don't agree with the system. But we must participate by joining clinical trials. We must push for treatments that increase quality of life and quantity. To have the industry let go of treatments that would not longer serve in our best interest.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 01-27-2013 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: typo
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
KDR

Hi, Jackie
Were you referring to the Jewish ghettos of Shanghai? Many of them were Ashkenazi, I believe. Do you have lineage to this...as BRCA is very common in this population. Interested to know that part. And miss your father's image.
Warmly
Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Joan M

Jackie,

Thanks for the link to 'lizbeth's thread. It was a very concise explanation of the Myriad Genetics case. I can understand how there could be a link with a BRCA1/2 mutation (with a slight twist). Last year, a friend of a friend who has never had breast cancer had a genetic profile done through 23andMe. She's mostly Norwegian American, but 13% of her genes are of Asian origin. Genes get passed on, and sometimes geography is not a boundary. It was good that you followed through on being tested.

'lizbeth thanks for posting the thread and participating in a clinical trial. I would agree about women not being able to obtain a new drug because they don't fit the criteria precisely. It's very frightening. I can tell that you are aware of the politics that are often involved in cancer research and clinical trials. As an advocate, I often become frustrated when dealing with pharmaceutical companies. They frequently want us to connect them to potential enrollees, but then they're not responsive if we want to get involved with clinical trial design.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
Jackie07

Marcia (Soccermom) was the one 'alerted' me about the 'Jews of Kaifen'. http://www.sino-judaic.org/index.php...g_jews_history The ancient Capital located in Henan Province is not very far from my late Father's hometown in Yunnan. My grandfathers on both sides were merchants - and it was through that connection my parents met each other and were married after the War was over.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-30-2013 at 02:43 AM..