HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Faith in Him

How do you feel during the holidays?

Most of the time I feel very thankful to be celebrating the holidays. Sometimes I feel guilty for still being here since I had such a bad prognosis to begin with. Other times I am sad for even having bc.

How do you feel? Or how do you cope?
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Laurel

Wink Re: How do you feel during the holidays?

What an interesting question. I feel thankful to feel better this year than last. I appreciate life.

The hustle and bustle gets a bit stressful and overwhelming. I am trying to time manage, and fit fun in among the work.

I do not think you should feel guilty for surviving. Hasn't it been difficult? Haven't you fought for your survival? Rejoice and be thankful. You have much to give to this world.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
sassy

Re: How do you feel during the holidays?

I enjoy the holidays more, because I don't stress nearly as much. My husband and I decided two years ago to swear off gifts lists. We won't ask for one from anyone and we won't give one either, much to our family's consternation. We'd much rather give and receive "gifts" than exchange "what to buy me" lists! Now I enjoy shopping and giving a true gift! Before BC, I don't think I would have done this.

Please don't feel guilty for surviving---it's our goal---so achievement is victory.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Mary Jo

Hi Tonya....What an interesting post. One I think we can all relate to.... to some degree or another.

I just lost a dear friend to cancer a few weeks ago. I remember visiting with her for the last time while she was dying. I remember feeling "guilty" or maybe a better way to state that is to say that I wondered why. Why some survive and why some do not. My conclusion..........we are all terminal. Some just don't know of "what" yet. None of us are getting out of this life alive. We will all "pass away" and it's just a matter of when. For the time being.....we are here to love and be loved. We do what we must to be healthy and "live" while we are here. So, no reason to feel guilty. You are here because you are suppose to be here. You have a purpose. We all do. So keep up the "fight" girlfriend...until your Lord calls you away.

I think I enjoy the holiday's more now than I use too because I now focus on the tree meaning and try to let the rest go......no always so perfect families........the hustle and bustle.....money etc. I focus on loving...sharing.....and being all God wants me to be. That brings me peace and helps me stay in a joyful place way more often than before breast cancer.

Love and blessings Tonya...

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
SoCalGal

I am always glad to be here still, happy that this year all the kids came home, including my nieces, so my family table will be full and that's so wonderful....BUT....but...there is always a small part of me that wonders if this will be the "last", will this be the one that my kids all remember as the last?
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
ElaineM

I am very happy to be here for another holiday season. I started a little shopping. I will be cooking with my neighbor on Thanksgiving. I always put up a Christmas tree and do a little decorating. I exchange gifts. I am planning to have lunch with two friends over the holidays. Then I will attend a party and do church on Christmas. I haven't decided about New Years yet.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Sherryg683

I love holidays and being aroud family and friends and the parties. But I was diagnosed on December 1, 4 years ago and that was the hardest Christmas ever. I had my lumpectomy on Dec. 22 of that year, the flu on Christmas morning and then started Chemo on Jan 3. I don't feel guilty about still being here, I just always feel sadened wondering if I will still be feeling well and cancer free next year. I've had so many people close to me die in the last 5 years that is perplexing to me also as to "why" some do not make it. I guess you can say holidays are a happy, sad time for me...sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
ElaineM

We can remember the people who are no longer with us in some way over the holidays--------perhaps a donation to a charity in their memory, a few prayers during meaningful times, an ornament on the Christmas tree or in other ways. That way we can carry them in our hearts and remember the good times we had with them, so they can be part of the holiday celebrations.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
StephN

December 20th, 1999 was my first chemo. My stepson came home from working on his Masters and took me. I did not know how I would feel, but that first Adria did not hit me yet, so I did enjoy that Christmas.

My family treated me sort of with "kid gloves" like I might break or something. But, we all got used to the cancer thing and this Energizer Bunny is shopping and mailing and starting on Christmas cards already.

I echo Mary Jo and Sassy on being a bit less into the more commercial aspect and do as I feel is coming from my heart and sitting back to enjoy the time. Feel the spirit, smell the tree, and reduce the stress. Honey, I'll take that hot toddy now, please!

P.S. Elaine, I DO have an ornament made by one of our dear departed sisters, that has a place of honor on my tree each year.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
MJo

I feel fat .... And happy to be here

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
suzan w

Great question!!! And I LOVE your answer MJO!!! I always had trouble around the holidays...bad childhood memories etc. Then when my kids were growing up it was great because it sort of gave me a chance to "do it over the right way!" Then the kids and I lived on opposite coasts for a few years and holidays turned into stress...airports...snowstorms...$$$. Then...breast cancer!!! And I am alive!!! And suddenly I find myself living more"for myself". What a concept!!! I will be working this year on Thanksgiving and Christmas...at Taos Ski Valley. My dear partner, Bette, will also be working with me. We are going to have a small turkey and all the other good stuff. We celebrate together the fact that we are both healthy and strong...we can travel whenever and wherever we want in our groovy Roadtrek camper with all our pets...and visit the kids and grandkids...and our myriad of friends all across this wonderful US of A. Having survived cancer has brought us both to a new awareness of life, love, spirituality that I would not trade for anything!!! Happy Thanksgiving All!!! XO Suzan
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
margiermc

this is how i feel during the holidays - thank you, I am Alive!

I do not feel guilty at all for surviving. Being a bc survivor is an inspiration - not, something to feel bad about, if you do go outside look at a beautiful tree, sky, bird, nature - it's calming, good for the soul.

Last year I was on chemo for every holiday. Started 11/01/08 and ended 01/23/09.

I look at my family and say, I need to be here for them.

This holiday will be the same as the other's, I worked, I'm a teacher, today (Wed) I am volunteering at the local soup kitchen with feeding the homeless. We have families with children homeless, living in the woods, our community did an outreach program to feed the homeless, I'm blessed with a home, and want to help other's who don't have one, after all living in the woods, with a couple of kids is not something I'm familiar with, but must be a tough life.

The next day, Thanksgiving, I am cooking dinner and eating with my two kids, husband, mother, sister, and brother inlaw.

On tv, I will have on Fox News 4pm ESt, Kaliedoscope will be on with Olivia Newton John, Dorothy Hammil, Scott Hamilton, Peggy Flemming, and other cancer survivors, skating, singing and them celebrating Life as a cancer survivor.

On Friday, we will go to a tree lighting ceremony in downtown Tampa, beautiful victorian village, carolers, horse and buggy, hot chocolate, everyone singing, and the tree lighting. And, we get to bring our dog - they dress the dogs up to the like they are having a night out of the town. Then we drive around the Tampa bay, the scenery of mansions on the water is absolutely georgeous.

We always go to this tree lighting with our son's girlfriend's family, yes all 6 of them 5 of us pile up in a the car's, and enjoy our annual night out after thanksgiving. It is our tradition for over 6 years.
And, my best friend (my son's girlfriend's mom) mom is Muslim, so I went to her feast in October, so she shares my tradition with my family- we are very close, and different religion, Im' catholic, she is muslim, but always there for one another and share holidays together.

I will not think about bc - I'm taking a bc daycation and celebrating life with my 89 year old mother, 18 yr daughter, 19 yr son and husband.

Don't be stressing over your blessings, Count them, they are all there.

At my husband's job - a secretary dropped down, dead at age 61.
They were in shock, this happened two weeks ago. She was healthy, walker/jogger, eating healthy, in shape, worked full time, very active, no diseases, she felt tired after walking with a friend, went home, laid down, never woke up.

We are here ladies, chatting on this computer - stand up, smile, get some positive energy, if there is any and say, thank you for this day.

Happy Holidays to all,
margie from sunny florida (raining today)
margiermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Patb

I also feel very happy to be alive but I am more
selfish with my time and have learned to say no
to so many useless things I used to do. If it inspires
me, I do it, if it tires me, I don't. No apologies, and
sometime people take this the wrong way but its
just being true to me.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
chrisy

I feel grateful - appreciative, yes. thankful, yes. I do not take life for granted any more.

I also feel sadness and fear - and like Flori I wonder if this will be "the last". (I honestly thought last year would be "the last"). So I guess that makes me want to make it "the best". I'm actually more mellow than I've been in the past - maybe I'm finally learning to appreciate what is important. nah, I'm probably just tired.

Like Mary Jo, I do not feel guilty about being alive - but I do wonder why I am still alive when so many other people who loved life just as much and fought even harder are not. I've learned to just wonder about out it and trust that God has his purpose.

The next few weeks, I expect to feel stressed...because of all the time commitments I have compared to the amount of time available. Having said that, maybe I can work on stepping back and focusing on what is most important.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Faith in Him

I enjoyed reading all of your posts. It is interesting how each of us deals with the holidays.

I am reminded today that I am very blessed. I am still learning how to balance things out in my new life. It's been almost three years but I guess I'm a slow learner.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
Becky

Dear Tonya

You are not a slow learner because if you are, I am outright disabled. I think it all depends on how you think about Holidays in general and your role in them. I am the one who does Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I also do Easter (because everyone else but us travels), so for me, its hard. I even said that for Easter next time - we are going out. Also, I have always found Christmas as a hard time no matter what.

I did chemo during all the holidays 5 yrs ago (including my birthday) as I had chemo Oct 25 - Jan 31. That about covers it. Even though I got relieved of Thanksgiving that year, I resumed for Christmas as Taxol was not as hard on me as AC. So I am also reminded of chemo during this time too.

Holidays are not thrilling for everyone so for some on this board, they're great and others, not so great and I guarantee you that they had some of these feelings way before cancer came.

The only sage advice I have is to enjoy them now as your children are young. That really made the holidays for me. After they are older (my youngest is 18), it is not as exciting. I loved that Santa excitement!

Most of all, holiday or not, I am grateful and thankful to be alive and doing well for one more year.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 11-25-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
tricia keegan

I definatly enjoy holidays more since I had bc, just knowing I'm still here and healthy and enjoy my family and the simple things all the more.
I do relate to the guilty feeling a little too, I've lost a few friends I was diagnosed with and wish they were here still also.
I don't think it's guilt so much as sadness and maybe frustration that some are taken too soon and we just don't know why.
I always think of these special friends at holiday also
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
Soccermom

Struggling with depression and so many life changing events this past 5 years..I am not working at the moment and will appreciate NOT working Black Friday in retail at 4 AM this year!
With appreciation for you all!
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
Chelee

I loved, enjoyed and looked forward to the holidays when I was young. But as I got older...even long before bc I found the holidays very difficult and just wanted to get them behind me for lots of reasons.

The holidays are even worse now since my bc dx. I was dx 12-05. And I found the lump mself in November of that year which put a major damper on my holidays. It turned into biopsy, mastectomy, labs, chemo, endless appts, etc. You all know the drill. Felt bad for my family having to deal with this because of me. It about killed my Mother watching me go through this. Then I get through my first year of trt and my Mother got dx with advanced lung cancer and I rallied around her to help her through it. (We were so close and here we were dealing with cancer nightmares together.) I watched her go from a bit strong woman to nothing in a years time & pass away...oh how I miss her.

And here it is the holidays again and I was told of my recurrence in Sept. and all I've done it see doctors and sit and try to make the best decisions and pray they are the right ones? I'm back to feeling like I don't know if this will be my last year and I hate it. I know my cancer is on the move but yet have to wait for this hip to heal...it's so frustrating. So in saying all that the holidays aren't very exciting for me. I'm just sitting here alone today. It was great when I was young and we have BIG family get togethers. I have alot of emotional baggage I guess you could say around this time of year...again...it started long before the bc. (Although that didn't help any.) But I'm thankful to still be here and I just continue to pray I'll be here next year too...along with everyone else on this board.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 11-26-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
Jackie07

I was home alone - one of the very rare occassions. I had turned down my Chinese Church Thanksgiving Dinner invitation because we were going to my Father-in-law's. I did not go with hubby last weekend because I wasn't feeling well. I turned down again yesterday to ride with his niece who's attending school in our town because I still wasn't feeling well.

I woke up just past noon today and felt terribly 'lousy'. Voice was coarse (had had speech therapy after the 1990 brain surgery)and my body was aching all over. After I had contacted my friend telling her that I did not go out of town and was feeling terrible, she told me she's coming right over.

20 minutes later she showed up at my door and brought me the turkey/ham dinner and trimmings in two 'to-go' boxes. Since she had not finished her lunch yet, we did not chat much except the 'Thank you' and 'Don't mention it'. She told me while she's walking out of the door that she's going to bring me some fresh 'Daikon' (a 'white' radish resembling a huge carrot - supposedly having cancer-curing power, especially its leaves which is usually trimmed off when sold in the grocery store) from her yard another day.

Thought about the late Father Robert Ronald's lectures on how to cope with disabilities. 'Peace' is to accept who you are with/without your disability; 'peace' is to accept help when you need it; 'peace' is to appreciate life and the relationships in it. 'Peace' is knowing that you've done your best and not to regret...

I wish everyone here a 'peaceful' weekend. Happy Thanksgiving.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-26-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote