HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Joan M
Senior Member
 
Joan M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,851
Needing to vent

My recovery isn't going too well and it's depressing.

Since July 11 I've been home recuperating from the thoracotomy to remove a fungus which grew in the cavity created last summer by the radiofrequency ablation I had to treat a recurrence of a lung tumor removed a year earlier by video-assisted thorasic surgery (VATS). And now I know why VATS, or minimally invasive thorasic surgery, is preferable to a thoractomy. The recovery from VATS was so much easier. I was back to work in four weeks.

I'm still having "tightness," or an elastic-band feeling, just below my left breast and lateral, and sometimes just below my left rib cage. Sometimes there's tightness in my left breast.

I sent an e-mail to the surgeon asking whether there's any way to determine specifically what is causing the problem? I think he and his nurses might be sick of hearing from me about the discomfort.

I'm very concerned about ending up with chronic post-thoracotomy pain (which I've read about online), because I have to go back to work.

It's worse when leaning back. In general, it gets so bad sometimes that I have to stand up (even when I'm tryng to watch a movie) or sit at a table hunched forward with my forearms resting on the table, in order to relieve the pain. Lying on either side helps and alking helps too. But when I stop, it's back again.

The Percoset does not seem to help (that is, there's discomfort regardless of taking it). I have been taking 2 1/2 tablets a day, and this morning I took only 500mg of Tylenol. No Percoset. Also I dislike taking the drug. But since it's now past noon I'll probably have to take one soon.

I did not have this feeling of discomfort when I first came home from the hospital (I remember sitting and reading novels and magazines all day without this discomfort). It started July 25. Earlier that day I gardened and then went to a luncheon. (I had seen the doctor on July 22, and he said to go about my normal activites.)Nevertheless, I was taking it easy while gardening for about 45 minutes). I was using some light-weight loppers to deadhead some flowers and trim a few plants. But, later in the evening, while sitting still, it felt like something "moved" in the area under the left breast (and I thought, "What was that?"). Later, the discomfort started and it hasn't really stopped since.

I'm wondering whether something shifted? Most patients are off Percoset in about five weeks.

Of courese I'm grateful that the path report showed no cancer, only the fungus, but I'm very frustrated because I'm due to go back to work Sept. 1 and I'm wondering whether I'll make it. Also, I'm not getting paid because I used up my paid time off last October when I had the craniotomy, and 12 months did not pass before the thoracotomy, which would have set the clock back to zero. I've been at my job just under three years and was only entitled to four weeks of full pay in a 12-moth span and that's it (two weeks for every year).

Thanks for listening.

Joan
__________________
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 08-17-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
tricia keegan
Senior Member
 
tricia keegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,463
Re: Needing to vent

Joan,

You've been through so much and I'm sorry I don't have any experience or advice to offer you but I really hope you feel lots better soon
__________________
Tricia
Dx July '05 IDC 1.9cm Triple positive 3/9 nodes positive
A/C X 4 ..Taxol/Herceptin x 12 wks then herceptin 1 yr
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
StephN
Senior Member
 
StephN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Misty woods of WA State
Posts: 4,128
Question Re: Needing to vent

Dear Joan -
You have been having a bout with this last procedure! I hear you!
From personal experience I know that secondary effects after procedures can be almost worse than the disease itself!

I know you have researched extensively about that procedure, but is there a chance you can get some massage or physical therapy from a pain specialist?? There should be someone in the New York area who could help you.

Getting back to work seems also causing you some stress with the worry, and this may add to the whole pain picture as your body is not really relaxed for optimal healing.

One other thought. WATER EXERCISES in a warm pool. Some of the gals here have reported this type of therapy has done them a lot of good after various procedures.
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." H.D. Thoreau
Live in the moment.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Sheila
Senior Member
 
Sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 3,507
Re: Needing to vent

Joan
I am wondering if you have a slight muscle tear, or just inflammation to a muscle in the area....it seems that something you did while gardening may have caused this, as you said it wasnt noticeable before....maybe a rib xray or an MRI of the area might show whats going on. Is it left or right sided? Please keep searching for the answer....you dont want to have to take the pain pills to get through the day. Sending a gentle hug and know that you are in my prayers and thoughts that this will resolve.
__________________
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet
is fighting some kind of battle."



Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Faith in Him
Senior Member
 
Faith in Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 764
Re: Needing to vent

Joan,

I, too, know how frustrating the after-effects of treatment can be. I hope that you are able to find some relief soon. Pain is very depressing especially when it limits what you are used to doing. I hope that this gets all resloved before you return to work.

Keepin you in my prayers,
Tonya
__________________
DX 02/01/07
2.5 cm, Er/Pr-, Her2+++
18/20 Nodes
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Laurel
Senior Member
 
Laurel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hershey, PA. Live The Sweet Life!
Posts: 2,005
Re: Needing to vent

Joan,

You did not say whether you called your surgeon or not. You felt a shifting, you say. Hmmm. Wondering if you did not collapse something in there? I really feel compelled to urge you to call your doc. since the pain began post exerting yourself with gardening. A portion of a lung can collapse causing great deal of discomfort, so can a clot sometimes.

I do not wish to alarm you, but I think further discussion with your surgeon is a must. If he tries to blow you off go to your E.R.

Please let us know.
__________________

Smile On!
Laurel


Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
vickie h
Senior Member
 
vickie h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san luis obispo, ca
Posts: 1,150
Re: Needing to vent

Dearest Joan,
I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you've been experiencing, no wonder you're feeling depressed...that's a lot for anyone's plate. Can you go see a pain specialist, or have you already done that? I don't know if they can be of help but hopefully they can uncover or help whatever is going on and you will be able to return to work.
I'm praying for you, Joan, all the way. There is nothing more daunting than pain and it is no way to live.
You've always held a special place in my heart and I've followed your posts....so inspirational and supportive for others who are struggling. Thank you for being the sweet sister we all need. Now we're all praying for this pain to cease and for you to feel good again. Please let us know how you are doing.
Sending you love and healing energy and my hand to hold,
Vickie
__________________
Love and Hugs, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.


Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #8
Pam P
Senior Member
 
Pam P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 731
Re: Needing to vent

Joan - I'm so sorry to hear of what's going on with the continuing pain. I agree with others that I hope you pursue an answer as it seemed to have started as a result of activity - some injury to tender tissues -rather than post surgery pain. MRI, PT, massage therapy... all worth pursuing. I really feel for you on the work worries - time off w/o pay, stress about having to return in Sept. It's enough to deal with the physical stress adding the financial/career worries is soo much. Can you pursue temporary disability? or return to work at reduced hours for awhile? My thoughts and prayers are with you.
__________________
Pam
6/01 IBC er+ her2+stage IIIb; mastecomy
7/01 AC, taxol; radiation
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Karen Wheel
Senior Member
 
Karen Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sardegna, Italy
Posts: 362
Re: Needing to vent

Hang in there - I am lucky as I don't know "how" you feel as I have not walked in your shoes - but I vote with the note from Laurel!

I know that I feel (lots of the time) that my doctors here in Italy, that they think I am completely madd - however, I keep asking more questions and pushing when I feel I need help.

I think you should insist that your doc SEES YOU! Or, like Laurel says - go to ER! If you have something serious - you need to know sooner, not later.

Sending you healing energy! Hope this helps! Karen


__________________
Karen Wheelhouse Age: 46
Facebook id: Karen Wheel
2-09 – Age 44 -Biopsy-Cancer
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!


7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
suzan w
Senior Member
 
suzan w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 1,747
Re: Needing to vent

Hi Joan, I would certainly have that 'shifting feeling' checked out! You are sure carrying around a heavy plate! As for your nurse and doc...tired of hearing from you? Well, I know when I feel like that sometimes I need a great big hug and for someone to tell me that everything is going to be OK. If I am ever a nurse, that is what I would do!!! So here is a great big gentle hug from me to you!!! XO Suzan
__________________
Suzan W.
age 54 at diagnosis
5/05 suspicious mammogram-left breast
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Patb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville KY Naples FL
Posts: 665
Images: 2
Re: Needing to vent

A agree to get it checked out since you felt something
move. I wish you the best and hope you get some
answers and feel better soon. Take care
patb
__________________
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Jackie07
Senior Member
 
Jackie07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: "Love never fails."
Posts: 5,809
Re: Needing to vent

Joan,

Sorry for all the stuff that had happend to you. Come to the Board whenever you feel like to 'vent'. As 'Dr. Frazer Crane' states in the show 'Frazer': "... I'm [We're] listening..."
__________________
Jackie07
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/06/doctors-letter-patient-newly-diagnosed-cancer.html
http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/MultiMedi...=114&trackID=2

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Believe51
Senior Member
 
Believe51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Posts: 3,000
Re: Needing to vent

Joan, I am so sorry to hear of the issues in your healing, I cannot even begin to imagine how that feels. I have been saying healing prayers for you but I will vamp them up some. Hang in there Tiger, you will get some relief and answers soon. Please keep us posted Lovey and vent whenever you need to. Love to you tonight.>>Believe51
__________________
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Joan M
Senior Member
 
Joan M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,851
Re: Needing to vent

I sent the surgeon an e-mail and one of his nurses called after discussing the message with him. He does not think that anything in particular happened to the ribs or muscles and said that the elastic-band feeling is normal for this type of surgery.

They were concerned that I haven't been taking enough painkiller.

Even though most patients are off the painkillers in five weeks (I've been taking them since July 11), it can take longer for some.

Admittedly, I've been skimping on the Percoset due to the constipation and indigestion it causes. The prescription calls for 1-2 tablets every four hours, which is a maximum of 12 tablets per day. I started with only four tablets per day for the first few days and then cut it down to three, and then down to two. Also, since I had minimally invasive thorasic surgery and the radiofrequency ablation previously, the thoracotomy was more extensive and the recovery can take longer.

I'm also concerned about getting addicted to the painkiller, although the nurse said I can't get addicted because I'm using it for pain. I've heard this argument before, and truthfully I don't understand it. The drug is a narcotic, and the fear is that more and more will be needed to get the same effect, or pain relief.

Even though I'm trying to get off the painkiller, I went back to three a day, and I'm supposed to take 600mg of ibuprofen in between. It seems to have helped.

I've been walking every day. The nurse told me to stop gardening and housecleaning. I was using only my small vacuum cleaner, which is like an electric broom, but she said it puts too much pressure on the torso muscles. I have a cat and I'm always cleaning up cat hair. I'm now using only the dustmop.

I like the idea of physical therapy. Walking is good and range of motion exercises (and I like the idea of a pool, too), but not using the vacuum cleaner (even though the surgeon said at my July 22 office visit that I should go back to my normal activity and not lift anything over 30 pounds in my left hand. But, of course, I haven't lifted anything nearly that heavy. And I'm left-handed.). I do laundry, but don't carry heavy loads. Friends and cousins take me grocery shopping, also to doctor's appointments, etc. (my immediate family lives 90 minutes away). I can't drive while on painkillers (and I don't think I could right now anyway).

My follow-up will now be with the pulmonologist, and I'm scheduled for a CT scan in three months. I saw him last week, and he'll also be checking in with the infectious disease docs. I'm still on the antifungal agent, but I'll be finished in a few days. He also wants me to use a mask when gardening.

I'm anxious about getting back to work but trying to just go with the flow. If I can't make it back September 1, then I'll have to live with that. Normally, I work from home one day per week, and I've thought about trying to extend that. But I'd need a doctor's note saying that it's okay to work from home, and I don't want to get myself in a bind if it takes longer to recuperate (or I have long-term problems from the surgery). Right now I wouldn't be able to sit up all day.

I've checked out my disability options. This is something I started to do a few months ago when Pam posted about retiring and disability, but I followed up last week and finally got the lowdown on how short-term disability, long-term disability, Social Security disability and Medicare all work together. I have a few more questions for the free legal agency I called, and then I'll post the information on the board for anybody whose interested.

I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I was becoming discouraged, and you've been a great in helping me keep positive.

Love you,

Joan
__________________
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2023 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 08-19-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Mary Jo
Senior Member
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 2,582
Re: Needing to vent

Hi Joan,

I just returned from a mini vacation with my hubby and haven't been here for a few days. I have nothing to offer but only wanted to give you a ............................gentle hug.

Love,

Mary Jo
__________________
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
jones7676
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
Posts: 606
Re: Needing to vent

So sorry to hear about your challenges. All I can do for you is tell you I care and I hope you are well soon and the frustration is over.
__________________
Barb

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter