HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Angela

Question Help

I ended up in the ER in really bad pain. They determined that my lung mets are growing. The also did additional scans and now I have mets in my 9th right rib and my right hip. They have put me on Navelbin and Tykerb. I got the Navelbin on aThursday, took the 1st of tykerb on Friday, took tykerb on Saturday and had a reation. It felt like someone was sticking 1000s of needles in my mouth and throat. We stopped everything until I got better. Last week we did 1/2 dose of Navelbin and I did fine on it. So this past Tuesday we increased to 3/4 of a dose and on Wednesday I started back on Tykerb but I only took 1 pill (we are going to try and built up to the full dose slowly). I took another tykerb pill today and I have started having tingling in my mouth and throat. Has anyone ever had tingling in their mouth or throat with either of these drugs?

What happens if I can't take Tykerb? That is the drug to take the place of Herceptin which the dr thinks is no longer working.

Dx May 2003 at age 39
Lt mastectomy, no nodes
DCIS, PR- ER- Her+++
4 rounds AC
Recurrence Dec 2006 Rt lung
2/07 - 3 Brain mets - Radiation
3/07 -
Carboplatin and Herceptin
8/07- mets stable. Finished Carboplatin-remain on Herceptin
12/07 - Herceptin only
5/08 - Lung mets grew - tykerb and Navilbene. Reaction to Tykerb -9/08 Herceptin again
12/08 - Lung mets growing - xeloda.
8/09 - Given Zometa for precaution
10/09 - Lung mets back plus new ones. - Put back on Xeloda.
1/10 – Began short-term disability

2/10 –Lung mets growing - Gemzar
9/2010 – Scan show tumors in lungs growing. Put on Ixempra (every 3 weeks). MRI of the brain showed a brain bleed but it had stopped bleeding.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
CindyE

Angela,
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not Tykerb so I don't know about the reactions. I want you to know that I am thinking good thoughts for you and sending prayers up for your treatment to go well. Take care,

Cindy

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!

I am calling this my pink journey
Follow my journey into the pink at my blog here

CindyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
hutchibk

Hi Angela - I have been on Tykerb with Xeloda for a year. I have had little to no side effect. I wonder if it isn't a reaction to the Navalbine/Tykerb combo. Is there a particular reason that your onc is not doing Tykerb w/ Xeloda first, as that is the initial combo that has been approved for treating mets when you switch to Tykerb... Also, have you talked with him about Zometa to strengthen your bones. Last week from the ASCO Conference, we got great reassurance of the potential of Zometa to help protect and possibly treat bone mets. Let us know how you are doing.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
doh2pa
Deceased

Hi Angela,

I took Tykerb for 8 months and did not have the specific mouth issues you have but did have lots of GI issues the last 4 months I was on it. Don't despair, please. I know it seems like herceptin stopped working for you, but it may work better in combo with the Navilbene. I've had an "on again, off again" relationship with Herceptin the last few years. It seems like alone it doesn't hold my disease at bay, but I did take it along with Navilbene and got a very good response. So if you can't tolerate Tykerb there are other options and combos to try.
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Unregistered

Sounds like an allergic reaction. My son has food allergies, same symptoms, and in general your allergic reactions will only become worse.

So I think either they can give you steroids to cope with the allergic reaction or try to find another combo. Can they do H with navelbine?

Good luck, Bev
Old 06-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I had quite a few "oral" issues with Tykerb (although not the type you have described). Perhaps it does not agree with you. But there are many approaches they can use (benedryl etc.) if they really feel it is the right choice. I recently switched back to Herceptin - as they are not sure if the Tykerb quit working, if the Herceptin ever did quit working for sure etc. We are often exposed to "cutting edge drugs" and they just do not seem to have all the answers. I wish I had a definite one for you....perhaps your doc could consult with some physcians from other areas to see if they ran into this. Also, I do want to say that Tykerb was harder on me the 1st two months and then my body seemed to adjust to it for quite a while. I never won the frequent bouts with loose stools though. That is why I opted to switch back to Herceptin.

I wish you luck and I hope they get answers for you soon!

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote