HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
fauxgypsy

Red face Spider bite

Hi y'all. I have been lurking lately. I have been busy in the garden and everytime I planted a flower I thought of Michelle. I am trying to find a "real job" with benefits so I have been getting my resume together and also getting my art website up. I have also had problems with phlebitis in my right arm that seems to be connected with, first tamoxifen, and then arimidex. Will be starting coumadin so that I can try to take arimidex again. The phlebitis gets in the ways of me typing.

Then Friday night a brown recluse bit me on my right shoulder. I killed the spider and then found the bite. I spent several hours Sat. at the emergency room because I had a systemic reaction. I developed a rash all over and my face was beet red and swelling. I had no idea how bad it could hurt. I am still taking bendryl and medrol, and it helps some. I am just hoping that it doesn't make the lymphedema worse. My shoulder feels like someone hit me with sledge hammer. I am also hoping that I avoid the flesh destroying aspects of this. The nurse came into the room right before I went home and told me my wrinkles in my forehead were coming back. Then she said that in this case it was a good thing. It helps to see the humor.

I am still NED as of my last test and so very thankful for it. When things start getting to me I remind myself of how much worse things are for so many of you and how y'all get through it all with lots of love and humor and strength and it helps me past the dark side of all of this. Thanks.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
michka

Hi Leslie,
you seem to be having a hard time with lymphoedema. You really did not need this bite. I have a different type of problem with my arm so I cannot help. Ladies, did you ever have such a terrible reaction?

I hope to see your art website soon!
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
nitewind

Oh my gosh, Leslie, that's terrible. One more thing that you didn't need. I don't know about you but I'm scared to death of spiders, don't know how you mustered the courage to kill it. I'll bet this is the one and only time you were glad to see those wringles (lol). I'll keep you in my prayers.
Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
MJo

Thank you. It's a reminder to all of us who have our hands in the flower and vegetable beds.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
fauxgypsy

The spider bite is better. Now the area on my arm that they kept saying was phlebitis may be MRSA (methycillin resistant staph), of course nobody agrees on anything so I am taking Bactrim and waiting to see if it goes away. They couldn't culture it, because it is not on the outside. I usually have a lot of pain when it appears but not this time. Maybe the prednisone is keeping the swelling down. By the way, I was in bed when I was bitten. The lymphedema is usually confined to two fingers and part of my hand but occasionally my arm starts swelling. But I am better. Thanks, everyone.
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
BethC

Yikes, I hope you get better soon. Wishing you well,
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
NanaKaren

MRSA can be nasty. Stay on top of it. Hope they make up their minds soon and you get the proper treatment. Nana Karen
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Joan M

Hi Lesli,

You've had a lot to deal with lately between MRSA and the spider bite. A few years ago, one of my brothers was bitten in the leg by a brown recluse spider (or as his son would say: but not reclusive enough). He did have skin necrosis and needed a port in his arm and antibiotics. It finally cleared up and he is fine now. He had no other reaction.

I'm glad though that you're still NED!

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
fauxgypsy

If they are right, and if you know my story, you have reason to know that I am not all that trusting of doctors, it makes sense. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 extra days because of a low grade fever they never explained and I have had fever and chills off and on since my mastectomy. I also had a lot of pain in my hips that they couldn't explain. I have had this outbreak on my arm several times now. I am not through with this. From what I read there is a blood test they can do and I am going to request it. In the meantime I will take my Bactrim and wait for it to get better. what got me is the doctor trying to say this was probably a community associated infection rather one I contracted in the hospital. I have been in and out of hospitals and doctors offices for a year and a half now. And good old medicaid has decided that I have no more doctors visits until July. I am so frustrated with the system.

Leslie
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 AM   #10
Bill

Oh, sweetie, you have had so much to deal with, and now, the spider bite. As you know, the Brown Recluse bite is no joke. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
fauxgypsy

I feel ashamed complaining (whining) when so many of you are sicker than I am. I told my doctor once that I knew I wasn't his sickest patient but that I was going to do everything I could not to become that patient. It just seems that some of the problems I am having now are more the results of them not listening or not paying attetion or just being wrong. Of course the spider bite does not fall into that category. Thanks for listening.

Leslie
Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Jackie07

I was bitten by some tiny bugs during chemotherapy last fall. The redness crept all the way to my elbow in 3 days. Luckily we went to the doctor on the 4th day and I was put on IV with antibiotic right away. It took another 10 days worth (or 2 weeks?) of oral antibiotic to clear the infection. And that's when I started the lymphedema treatment - wrapped up in gauze - now wearing compression glove and sleeve.

Hope you feel better soon. It does require patience.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
MJo

I was working in the garden yesterday and felt a sting. I now have a swollen right eye. Talk about taking my own advice!! I'm sure I'll be fine but it's a comfort to know that I have a checkup with my family doctor on Thursday. Some little bug was angry at me for pulling up its weed home.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
fauxgypsy

When they wrapped my arm my blood pressure started climbing so that pretty much eliminates the sleeve. So far, it is better. I believe the swelling and pain in my arm may have been something else. I am taking coumadin now and that may help. I really had made my mind up to stop the arimidex and my oncologist talked me out of it for now.

MJo, The garden is worth the bugs, isn't it. My bite is getting better. I hope yours is. We are gardening on a shoestring this year but I had a lot of plants that I had rooted and some to divide so we made a new bed anyway. We put up a Martin house last year but a Great Crested Flycatcher moved in instead. Shes back this year with friends. And we have lots of tiny tomatoes. I LOVE our garden. A garden teaches delayed gratification so well. The world would be a better place if everyone gardened.

Leslie
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Mary Anne in TX

You know what, Leslie, that is a great thought about "if everyone gardened! I think you may just be right on! Glad that you are better. Thanks for making time to share with us. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
Vi Schorpp

Oh Leslie

you are so strong! I probably would have had a heart attack if I found a brown recluse on me -- especially in bed. I don't even do well with potato bugs...I'm glad to read that you are getting better. I'm happy you, and others, get so much out of gardening. Where I live we are overrun with deer, coyotes, and the occasional fox, so gardens arent' done as easily. Take care and I hope you find the position and benefits you're looking for.
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote