Managing Cancer-Related Fatigue

http://www.cancercenter.com/newslett...newsletter.cfm
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Soccermom

Dear Joanne,
Your posting is so timely! I was just commenting to a friend that i really need an exercise fitness evaluation or something to that effect. I am 3 years out (1 1/2 from last Chemo) and still feel fatigued. (I am still not finished w my recon so that is a factor.)
CTA seems to have a comprehensive plan to evaluate patients and design a program just for them. I am impressed.The regional cancer center here has no such capabilities as far as I know...wish it did!
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

I feel the same as Marcia. I wish all these modalities were available to me at my (wonderful) Cancer Center. I have an oncological nutritionist (= Naturopathic provider) who is phenomenal, but way up north (with me in Fla). And I do SUPPLEMENT like crazy -- to keep my energy up, my immune system boosted, neutralizing free radicals and keeping them at bay, keeping my heart healthy, my stomach calm et al...

Mind-body medicine techniques like deep breathing, guided imagery and relaxation techniques, cognitive behavior therapy, stress management, humor therapy, massage, Reiki therapy, acupuncture, etc. (mentioned in the article) all have utterly intrigue me from the getgo! But a Yoga class here or there hasn't been tempting enough to me. Having access to all these techniques and therapies -- within my Cancer Center -- is a dream!

Great article, Joanne. Thanks so much for sharing.

BTW, my chronic fatigue issue has become a *given*, virtually ignored by my oncs who are focused on tx and success, which is of course fabulous, but... To just read that --talking on the telephone, shopping for groceries, or walking across a room can seem like too much, makes me feel sane! Such *tasks* seem foolish to fret over (to me and most pp). Yet, these are things I struggle with daily. I am blessed to have a DH who more than pitches in and leaves me free to work (on my book, keeping up w/my Great Group of outstanding women, maintain a life of joy and serenity, healing and wellness). I love that man!

I prefer *emailing* to talking on the phone, and can't ever offer a good reason. Reading this trait listed among the little things that can prove to be challenging validates this peculiar feeling I have and explains it somewhat. Wish an onc would have said that to me. I do push to keep going to the other side of my 3000 sq ft house often throughout the day. Sounds pretty wimpy I know, but I swear I'm doing the best I can. The article made me feel less guilty for being such a sloth (LOL)... I always marvel at those of you who care for children and go to work midst tx. Then I think
-- I guess we do what we have to. God, and/or the Universe support us in this. God will provide, I always tell myself. (I often seek to draw more energy from the infinite source within the Universe, meditating on achieving just that!)

I'm pretty much in uncharted waters here, in my 10th yr of Herceptin. Who knows what my *chemo induced* anemia is from. Lasting effects of Taxotere et al? H? It is what it is. And I deal as best I can...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Catherine

Fatigue

Glad we are talking about this. I work part time from home and manage family buiness items from home. Go to bed by 9pm, get up at 730am. Start working about 930am. and am pooped by 630pm. I do have a lot of energy during the day and I take a 30-60 minute brisk walk every day. I am adjusting to this feeling of fatigue. I have hopes that a year out from Herceptin, I will have more energy.

Hugs to all the other tired mammas like me.
Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Bill

Hello, Ladies, I'm not sure if this will help, but there is some useful information in "The Cancer Survival Cookbook" written by Donna L. Weihofen, RD, MS and Christina Marino, MD, MPH. Some tips for nausea as well. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
goops

I had terrible fatigue with chemo and it seemed like the minute my chemo was done people expected the fatigue to be gone. I finished chemo the end of November and I still get to tired if I try to exercise as much as I used to, at times my legs feel like they have 30 pound weights attached to each.

At work it is now the busiest time of the year and I am going through radiation. I hope I will be able to make it through without missing any time due to fatigue.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Mary Anne in TX

I'd love to comment on this wonderful article and my own fatique, but I'm too tired to write anymore!!!!! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Paris

That is a very good article and I think doctors need to be aware of it. That said, don't ignore the possibility of heart damage being part of the cause for your fatigue. There is a good article in the latest issue of HEAL that talks about heart and lung damage from chemo and radiation. It's not just the anthracyclines that cause the damage. Almost all chemo has the potential, although small, to cause heart damage. My onc. refused to believe my fatigue and heart issues were caused by chemo and or herceptin. It took my going to three cardiologists to find one that said my heart muscle damage was due to chemo and herceptin and he gave me 30 pages of clinical studies on the effects of various cancer drugs on the heart. A MUGA scan does not show any and all damage that can occur to the heart. As well, heart damage can show up years after finishing chemo.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem. Fatigue is real. It's getting to the root cause that is hard.

luv you
jamie
SNB Node Negative
Chemo Taxotere, Cytoxan 2/07-4/07
Herceptin Started 5/07
Exchange surgery 6/15/07
Herceptin stopped after 12 rounds due to herceptin induced cardiomyopathy
On heart meds 'til?
Age 40 at diagnosis
Cancer may have been a defining moment but it does not define me!
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote