HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Lani

A Chance To Act To Keep Cancer Patients Insurance Coverage

After reading Chelee's post on the $9 million award to bc patient whose insurance dropped her I would like to suggest that we try to contact our state representatives (insurance in the US is regulated at the state and not the federal level for some inexplicable reason --makes it easier for the insurance company to get away with abhorrent behavior!) to suggest a limited law (to be expanded later) which I think even the lobbyists would be embarassed to be found out fighting against:

To make it illegal for an insurance company to stop covering any insured who has cancer (except squamous and basal cell cancer of the skin) until and if that patient qualifies for Medicare coverage (usually two years after a positive decision is made for Medicare disability).

As most everyone knows a friend or family member with cancer and as a substantial number of people are likely to develop cancer in their lifetime, I think it will be difficult to for a state representative to vote against such a
policy (hopefully it will get extended for diabetes, MS, ALS, etc in the future and eventually to every disease)

Cynthia? Is this up your alley?

More difficult, as it will take economists to figure out the costs/cost shifting:
They should also be limited to charging the amount of the coverage plus a cost of living increase, utiilizing increases in the cost of the policy of noncancer patients with the policy as cancer patients who may or may not be working will likely not be able to shoulder the 25% or MORE premium cost increases occuring yearly with many insurances OR the government should provide help paying the premium increases. Eventually the government may act as a reinsurer (insuring the insurer against unexpectedly large costs) for those with catastrophic diseases.

Getting the federal government to shorten the period for Medicare qualification will be more difficult. There are programs for the NEWLY diagnosed to get them Medicaid coverage more quickly...but not for those who are not newly diagnosed ie, those who have had insurance coverage, but then get dumped.

Food not just for thought, but hopefully also for ACTION!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Jackie07

I posted a reply just now, but it did not go through - just vanished. I am retyping it here, probably in three installment - just in case.

Are we ready to elect either Hillary or Obama for universal health insurance? (Let's not go there - I am not trying to start any political fight here.)

Just wanto to share with y'al some of my horror stories dealing with the insurance company.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Jackie07

Horror story I - a bill of $26,500

We received a bill of $26,500 from the insurance company of my previous employer in mid January. After I called both insurance companies and look at my current insurance card, my heart sank. There is a gap between the two during October, 2007. We are gonna have to pay the money back in installment.

While I was waiting for my husband to come home and was fuming over the whole thing - he had told me that he had taken care of the insurance situation, but now was telling me that we'd just them little by little the rest of our life if we indeed wasn't covered - I happened to find his old insurance card in the drawer (full of old receits, cards, all kinds of 'useless' junk). We had received replacement cards after we had chosen our primary physicians. The card in my purse had the starting date of 10-26-2007, but the card in the drawer had the starting date of 10-01-2007. I had cut my old one (as instructed) when I put the new one in my purse. Of course, they just made a mistake because of the new date.

Jack got on the phone and talk very, very politely to the insurance staff of the hospital. About a week later, we received the new bill. It was $703.00 for the copayment. That we can handle. But what a scare! I was just about ready to get a divorce - ("how could he do this to me? He had assured me that he had taken care of...")

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote