HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Lani

HOT NEWS--Genentech gets FDA approval for avastin for breast cancer!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/...s/22drugFW.php
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
hutchibk

I had a feeling in San Antonio, when hearing a couple of the good docs there speak about the 5-4 "NO" vote by the advisory panel (which happened just before SABCS) that the FDA would wisely look deeper and listen closer to the clinical practioners who were using it... and so they did. This is good news for those who are depending on Avastin.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
madubois63

Another article was posted on AOL this morning. I couldn't open your article, but will keep trying. Thanks for posting.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...00010000000001

Avastin OK'd to Treat Breast Cancer

By MATTHEW PERRONE,
AP
Posted: 2008-02-22 20:39:11
WASHINGTON (Feb. 22) - A drug made by Genentech received federal approval on Friday to treat breast cancer, a decision that could represent a major shift in standards for assessing the effectiveness of cancer medicines.

Going against the recommendation of its advisory panel, the Food and Drug Administration cleared Genentech's Avastin, which is already approved for treating lung and colon cancer, based on findings that it slowed tumor growth.

Advocates for breast cancer patients applauded the ruling. Genentech said FDA granted the drug preliminary approval and the company will have to submit additional data.

FDA approval for late-stage cancer treatments is usually contingent upon data showing a drug extended, or improved the quality of, patients' lives. Avastin showed neither in a study, according to Genentech's application. Instead Genentech showed that the drug slowed tumor growth, without actually increasing life expectancy. Cancer experts have long debated whether that measure is as significant as survival rates for measuring a drug's effectiveness. Wall Street analysts believe FDA's Avastin decision opens the door for other cancer drugs to be approved for their tumor-shrinking capabilities - a trend that worries some health experts. "If FDA sets a precedent of approving a drug based on progression free survival, people are afraid they may stop looking at survival as the most important endpoint," said Dr. Kay Dickersin, director of the Center for Clinical Trials at Johns Hopkins University.

The questions surrounding Avastin's effectiveness have caused debate among cancer experts, doctors and patients. In December, a panel of outside FDA advisers voted 5 to 4 against Genentech's application, indicating the drug's benefits did not outweigh toxic side effects. Despite the panel's narrow recommendation against the drug, many U.S. doctors continued prescribing it "off-label," or without a federal endorsement, for breast cancer. Genentech has previously estimated that more than 9,000 breast cancer patients receive the drug this way. Some insurers have been reluctant to pay for the injectable drug, which can cost $100,000 for a year's supply. Dr. Joseph Sparano said he prescribes Avastin because it has shown better results at slowing breast cancer growth than any other drug on the market. The Y-Me National Breast Cancer Organization called Avastin an important new option for patients.
"The benefits we're looking at with Avastin matter because they give patients hope," said Margaret C. Kirk, the group's president. "Without disease progression they may survive to see a discovery that can help them in the future."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2008-02-22 18:18:38

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- Values broadcast by this module: --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.who: Genentech Avastin breast cancer treatment FDA --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.what: Genentech Avastin breast cancer treatment FDA --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.when: Genentech Avastin breast cancer treatment FDA --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.where: Genentech Avastin breast cancer treatment FDA --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.id: 20080222181809990001 --><!-- broadcast data - A.articles.repositoryId: 709 --><!-- Concatenated WWWW values for the whole page: -->

<!-- MOD: mod_trricomment - 260808 --><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/checkStatus.psp"></script><script language="JavaScript"> <!-- var sitedomain = "channel.aol.com"; var authLev = "1"; var _sns_bg_color_ = "CFD9E3"; var _sns_x_offset_ = 0; var _sns_y_offset_ = 0; var _sns_showSignInOutLinks_ = 0; var _sns_showByDef_ = 1; var _sns_set_var_ = 1; var _sns_var_ = ""; var siteState = encodeURIComponent("OrigUrl="+encodeURIComponent(w indow.location)); -->*</script>My comments to this post:

The following quote is the WORST words ever written:
"If FDA sets a precedent of approving a drug based on progression free survival, people are afraid they may stop looking at survival as the most important endpoint," said Dr. Kay Dickersin, director of the Center for Clinical Trials at Johns Hopkins University."

As a THREE time survivor of breast cancer and a ONE time survivor of Acute Myeloid Leukemia, believe me...survival IS the most important endpoint especially if it is progression free!! I will NEVER forget that, and I doubt very highly that anyone facing cancer would. There is NO cure for cancer YET. Every morning I wake up, I REMEMBER to survive this day until the day that a cure is found.

Humans are not that good at keeping secrets! If there was a cure, it would be on the market by now - AT A VERY EXPENSIVE PRICE! angelmjanine: I am sure you heard the oncologist right, but just remember Elvis keeps getting spotted all around America...People say things for notoriety and far less reasons.

According to the medical profession, after my successful bone marrow transplant, I am considered cured. Then why do I keep getting checked every 2 months??? Because doctors can't cure ANYTHING - only luck, chance, God, Buddha, Ra...who ever you believe in or pray too can...Oh, and the bone marrow transplant that "cured the leukemia didn't cure the breast cancer...it's back. I am not taking Avistan at this time, but I am comforted to know another drug is in my arsenal should I need it. I would have taken it off label anyway!!

AS AN EXTRA NOTE AFTER READING OTHER POSTS: the leukemia was caused by chemo for the breast cancer...but I would do it over again knowing what I know because I am still here. If I needed to get leukemia to survive the breast cancer then
so be it...

Love and kisses - Maryann
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Jackie07

Good for you, Maryann. Let's not forget that those numbers are just statistics. I would think some of the patients benefit tremendously from Avastin, while some might not have. So, by not depriving patients right to get something that could be beneficial, FDA made a good decision. It's gonna be up to the patient and the doctor to decide whether or not to use the medicine.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Lolly

There are definitely two sides to this story; saftey and extending options for those of us for whom "progression-free" survival is not an abstract concept, but a reality. I'm currently on Avastin for skin metastisis, and Avastin + chemo has shrunk many lesions on my chest and stabilized others. I was holding my breath on this anticipated announcement, as my insurance would have definitely cut me off if the FDA ruled against approval. Yes, hopefully there are a few more options out there for me, Ixempra for one, but to me it is worth all the rare side effects to keep this particulary nasty type of metastisis under control.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

I surely do want the option to say yes or no... not have the FDA make the decision for me. Give me all the horrible hard facts and let me decide along with my onc. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote