HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
kari

Question Is this a Hoax?

I received this as a forwarded e-mail from my S-I-L. One of the people I passed it on to said he thought it was a hoax, and referred me to the snopes.com site. I didn't think it was a hoax, but I also don't want to be forwarding it on if it is. How sad to think of people playing on the sympathies of others, if it is a hoax. Anyone else know about this? Thanks for your input.
Karen

Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle).

This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know. http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"The Good Lord gave us mountains, so we could learn how to climb!"
kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Cannon

I've seen this many times, it is not a hoax. This info is from their site.

About The Breast Cancer Site

www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
The Breast Cancer Site was founded to help offer free mammograms to women in need — women for whom early detection would not otherwise be possible. Since its launch in October 2000, the site has established itself as a leader in online activism and in the fight to prevent breast cancer deaths.
The issue of breast cancer is painfully close to many people's hearts. Each year, 211,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and 43,300 die. Almost everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by a breast cancer diagnosis or that of a loved one. The Breast Cancer Site provides a feel-good way to help promote awareness and prevent breast cancer deaths every day — through easy online activities.
With a simple, daily click of the pink button at The Breast Cancer Site, visitors help provide mammograms to those in need. Visitors pay nothing. Mammograms are paid for by the site's sponsors and distributed by the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
Access to mammography is a critical issue. Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among women ages 40 - 55. Early detection is the key to survival and better treatment options, and mammography is among the best-known methods of early detection. Yet, 13 million women in the U.S. over 40 have never had a mammogram.
In addition to clicking the pink "Click Here to Give - it's FREE" button, visitors can make early detection and survival of breast cancer possible by shopping in The Breast Cancer Site store. With each item purchased, shoppers generate funds for free mammograms for women in need. The store offers a wide array of items to show your support, including pink ribbon jewelry and apparel.
About GreaterGood.org

GreaterGood.org is an independent charitable organization devoted to addressing the health and well-being of people (particularly women and children), animals, and the planet. GreaterGood.org distributes funds generated through the GreaterGood Network of websites to the many charitable organizations responsible for implementing programs named on these sites. 100% of the funds generated through the GreaterGood Network pass through GreaterGood.org to our partner charities. GreaterGood.org has ultimate authority and discretion with regard to the distribution of its funds. All expenditures made are consistent with the exempt purposes of GreaterGood.org.
About the Owners of The Breast Cancer Site

Long-time environmental activists Tim Kunin and Greg Hesterberg met at the University of Michigan while working on the Michigan Bottle Bill ballot campaign in 1976. As enthusiastic supporters of The Hunger Site, they realized the power of providing busy Internet users with a fast, free and easy way to make a difference and launched EcologyFund.com to give people the means to support wilderness preservation efforts worldwide. They are particularly excited about The Breast Cancer Site, as both are sons of breast cancer survivors.
Tim Kunin is a life-long lover of wilderness who has canoed and hiked for thousands of miles in the United States, Canada, and Patagonia. He started working for environmental causes at the University of Michigan, where he walked 200 miles across the state to publicize the need for recycling.
Greg Hesterberg was chairman of two statewide consumer and environmental organizations (MaryPIRG and PIRGIM) while in college. After 20 years running a successful publishing firm, Greg delights in finding innovative ways to make the world a better place.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
BonnieR

It is real. I have checked it out on Snopes before. It takes 45.000 hits to result in one mammogram. So about one a day gets donated. But it happens apparently.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #4
tousled1

This is not hoax. The breast cancer site offers free mammograms to those who can not afford them. All they ask is that you go to their site once a day and click. I try to remember to do it but somehow my "chemo brain" kicks in and I forget.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote