HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Christine MH-UK

Yippee! Grid project to squeeze decades of cancer research into 2 years

Hi everyone,

I had been feeling down lately, but then I found out that the World Community Grid is running a project called 'Help Conquer Cancer' which will use the spare computer capacity of volunteers from around the world to conduct research in two years that would take 162 years on a normal computer. Although I know the payoffs from this research will be far in the future, I am determined that cancer will not be an issue when my little boy grows up.

The best part is that those of us who have our own computers can help make this happen. The downloadable program runs quietly in the background, so even I think about what I want to type, my computer is helping conquer cancer. The idea is that most people have computers that have alot more capacity than they use. For example, your computer is running as you read this, but it is not doing very much all.

I have been running the World Community Grid program for nearly three years now with no problems. The last time the WCG ran an anti-cancer project I was gutted that I couldn't participate because my computer wasn't advanced enough, but my four-year old computer has no problems with the new program.

Anyway, here is a blurb on the project:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-iwc110607.php
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote