HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
trixkit

Question Nervious about brain met treatment decisions

I'm a long time viewer and infrequent poster to this group, but am now at my wits end regarding my wifes treatment options for brain mets. This past weekend severe headaches led to the discovery of brain mets. The head CT scan shows 4 mets with the largest being 1.5cm, two showed signs of bleeding. A follow up MRI showed an additional 6 very small mets. This is to go along with liver and lung mets that are currently being held in check and a breast tumor that is quite large.

She was originally diagnosed in dec-06, breast surgery was post poned to treat the other sites, the liver and lung. The surgery(right side mastectomy) was scheduled for 11/27, but the discovery of brain mets may alter that date if we go with the recomendations of the ONC and radiation folks. I'm not sure if that is the correct decision.

The recommendation is WBR(whole brain radiation), we are told that this is the best approach due to the number of mets and it may also target mets that are seeding themselves and don't show up on the MRI. Taking this approach would mean postponing the mastectomy and being off chemo for at least 4 weeks or longer if the surgury is squeezed in. I'm not sure this is a good choice as we have already waited almost 1 year for breast surgery.

I would like to explore gamma knife type of treatment on the 4 larger brain mets and keep the breast surgery on schedule. The breast tumor is huge and has to go. My wife is frantic to start some sort of treatment immediately, but she has blind faith in her Dr's who suggest WBR. I think going with WBR and putting everything else on hold for 4-6 is a decision that we shouldn't take lightly. We have an appt for a second opinion on thursday at NEMC in boston, a facility that offers the gamma knife.

How does one make such a decision, it almosts seems like a coin toss.

If we wanted to go the gamma knife route how do you convince your Dr's? I've seem others on this site with more mets than my wife that went the gamma knife route with great sucess.

In my mind we have two options.

(A).
WBR for 3 weeks.
No chemo for breast liver and lung for 4-5 weeks. Her ONC says possibly forever as she was very pessimistic after the discovery of brain mets. When my wife pressed her for a date, she gave her 3-6 months.
No surgery to remove large breast mass. This will have to be postponed during WBR.
If surgery is rescheduled after WBR this will further delay chemo to treat other areas.

(B)
Target 4 large brain mets with gamma knife type technology.
Keep breast surgery on schedule. That tumor has to go, it didn't seem to respond to taxol while liver and lung did.
Get back on chemo quicker. Her next drug was going to be xeloda, i've seen stories that this may cross the brain barrier.
Monitor brain mets, leave WBR on the table as a future option.

Her Dr's plan is option A, option B is my plan, but don't even know if it's really an option. I don't know how to convince her Dr's that this is an option, they should know better than I. My wife has blind faith in her Dr's, she doesn't go online at all, I wish she did.

Any opinions?
Thanks
John Cummings
trixkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

John,

I agree with you. Use WBR only as a last resort as its side effects are debilitating. I might also suggest talking with either Dr. Nancy Lin or Dr. Eric Winer, both at Dana Farber. They have extensive experience with CNS tumors are are currently doing research with Tykerb, a drug that also crosses the BBB in combination with Gamma Knife.

I am hoping that PattyZ will also answer your post as she has a long history of treating brain mets with Gamma Knife and various chemos.

WBR is a serious decision and I applaud you for doing the research before making your decision.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
tousled1

John,

I would have to hold off on WBR if I were you. To me that would be a last resort. I would discuss the possibility of either CyberKnife or GammaKnife for the brain mets first. You may also wish to talk with BHutch who has been on T/X for brain mets.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
trixkit

Thanks for the input.

I've been searching the board day and night, have read most of pattyz's posts and others. Her case looked similar as she had many mets.

My wife is a mess, she just wants to follow the Dr's marching orders.

The radiologist left the impression that we have to take action now, I'd like to pursue other options, but don't want to wait if that will make the situation worse.

I'll try contacting those folks at Dana Faber.

Tykerb is currently not an option as her LFEV went down to 35 in June while on Herceptin, we are holding out hope that this will rebound

Thanks
John
Old 11-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Esther

John, you and your wife can make the treatment decision based on your options and what you feel is right for your case. You don't have to convince the DR's of it. Just make your choice and go with it.

So if after careful consideration, you decide that gamma knife is the choice you want, choose a facility and Dr's you trust and have it done there.

In Jan 06 I had a single lesion found in my cerebellum, I went to a local facility and they pressured me to go with WBR before SRS, saying that we couldn't know if there was seeding to other locations present. I went for 2 other opinions, and ultimately declined WBR, did SRS, and that was the right decision for me.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
trixkit

Thanks Esther,

This board is fantasic.

I've convinced my wife to hold off with the WBR that was scheduled for today until we meet with the Gamma Knife folks and NEMC in Boston.

My wife is currently taking decadron to keep the symtoms at bay, so we have time to evaluate a second opinion.

My gut is telling me not to go with the WBR as the small and possible seeded mets aren't causing any issues at the moment and the large ones can be treated directly, hopefully. I'd prefer to keep the mastecomy on schedule. Then closely monitor the brain mets with regular testing.

Thanks again,
John Cummings
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
hutchibk

I hope Patty Z reads this too... I know that she has had tremendous and somewhat lengthy success with a brain cancer drug called Temodar (in combo with Xeloda). Not often used (yet) with breast cancer mets to the brain, but many have used it in this setting with some great results.

My options were similar to your wife's... and the docs leaned towards WBR. I leaned toward what I like to call the wack-a-mole method (hitting each tumor individually with rads as they showed themselves). But, with the access to Tykerb/Xeloda, we decided that we could start the drugs, watch my symptoms and MRIs like a HAWK, and avoid radiation to give the drugs time to work and see what that might gain us. Now, my mets were differently located, no swelling around them, and 9mm was the biggest of the three. With different parameters, I don't know that our "experiment" would have been an option. Tykerb/Xeloda worked for us for now with a surprising and seemingly complete response (will know for absolute certainty after MRI today), but I still have the "whack-a-mole" method on the back burner for the moment that we might see any other brain mets activity. And WBR is still in our tool box should we need a last resort option.

Here's link to PattyZs answers to me, but you may have already seen them:
http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=27940

Best of luck!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 11-07-2007 at 11:33 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
trixkit

Thanks Brenda,

I followed yours and Pattyz's story and have reviewed hundreds of your posting, it's great to be able to bounce this off of experienced veterans.

I like the wack a mole theory as well. I think we've decided that is going to be our approach. Her ONC didn't offer much hope of long term survival if we went the WBR route. We totally reject this timelime, but it's our own fault for pressing the Dr for it.

With her liver and lung currently in check and breast tumor scheduled for removal I see no reason to give up hope. And we believe our best option is the wack a mole therory as that allows us to get back on the chemo quickly.

We are being told that chemo must be stopped during radiation, does this sound right? Are there drugs options that can be used along with radiation?

Thanks,
John

John
Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Emmay

Dear John,

I think you should follow your instincts on this and seek a second opinion- your Plan B sounds more appropriate to me. The largest brain met at 1.5cm is still well within the size range for effective radiosurgery, and more than one met can be targeted at a time. My sister has had a number of cyberknife radiosurgery treatments at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston over the last 3 years as small mets have appeared, and that treatment has been very effective at arresting the brain mets. The treatment was easy and painless; the only difficult side effect came when she was prescribed the steroid decadron to control swelling -- this can have strong effects on appetite, mood, coordination and ability to sleep, but if the dose is minimized and of short duration, it's not too bad.

When my sister was first diagnosed with 3 brain mets, they were too large for radiation treatment, and she had a craniotomy, followed by WBR. The side effects from WBR took a few weeks to appear -- it caused extreme extreme fatique that took several months to abate, in addition to the steroid side effects (which are dependent on dose and length of use). It's impossible to know now if/how many "seeded" mets were stopped by WBR -- but it's important to note that she has still had twelve or so additional mets appear, 2-3 at a time, since the WBR treatment. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that your doctors would be concerned about the breast tumor's ability to "seed" mets to other locations - why not remove the original source first.

We were not as well informed about WBR as I wished we had been when it was recommended for my sister. That said, I want you to know that, in spite of extensive and numerous treatments (lumpectomy, mastectomy, AC/T chemo, Herceptin, craniotomies, WBR, numerous Cyberknife treaments, etc) my sister(age 50) has recovered from each treatment, and while not as energetic as she once was, she is still very much herself, and we thank God and her medical team at BIDMC for that. Her doctors are in contact with and attend conferences with doctors from Dana Farber -- I know you will be in good hands seeking opinions from Eric Winer et al, as Joe recommends.

Best regards,
Emmay
Emmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
pattyz

John,
I'm so very glad to see (however late I might be) that you've had these great replies. And, glad that you went directly to the PM to reach me...

Other than what I've said already, the fact that your wife has two lesions that appear to be bleeding really worries me as to what will be recommended...

A combination of surgical and focalized radiation may be an option, if the problematic lesions are accessible. I've not had nor seen any one else with this particular problem before.

As you may have gleaned, WBR does not have that great of a 'duratation' if indeed successful in the first place. That was one (two) of my reasons for rejecting it, no matter what scare was put to me.

I went in with as much knowledge as I could, listened carefully, stated my wishes, then said: "I'd rather wait and see" for the WBR. I did have a hard time getting what I wanted and was not treated well because of it...

I much preferred the CyberKnife over the other focalized, simply because it saved me from that damned screwed on headframe. Three times of that was way enough. Once I could have lived with!

As for chemos, as I told you, my success with Xeloda/Temodar has been very good. And the Xeloda might address your wife's remaining breast tumor, too. Who knows in advance? No one.

I believe after a time her heart should recover and the Tykerb could be looked at then.

we're all pulling for you,
patty
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
I was also encouraged to have WBR - I declined. I had one surgically removed (easily accessible) followed by gamma knife to base as insurance. I had a second one removed utilizing stereotactic surgery and it has not come back. A third one has reared it's ugly head, but is much smaller and slower growing than the other two. I just met with the brain surgeon and he agreed with me that stereotactic or gamma knife was the way to go....so I am awaiting a call from the radiologist to schedule my procedure. I say avoid WBR if you can. However, my tumors have shown up one at a time. Good luck to both of you while you make these hard decisions.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Vanessa

I agree with the rest of the group to go with your gut and explore all of your options. I recently did wbr and it did make me very fatigued and forgetful. When I enquired about gamma knife, they told me that my tumours were too small, so I went ahead with wbr. I could not drive for 2 weeks and that was real hard on my family. After reading all of these posts, I am wondering if I did the right thing.

Anyway, I am hoping and praying that your wife gets connected with the right treatment for her. I am also sending healing thoughts to both of you.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote