HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Vic

Alcohol increases breast cancer risk by 10% and 40%

How do some of you feel about Brian Williams news story from last month that included Robert Bazell's piece on alcohol and its connection with breast cancer as shown here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21083325/

I enjoy a glass of champagne with dinner, but now it has me scared, since it says one glass of any alcohol (wine, beer or hard liquor) can increase breast cancer risk by 10% and as much as 40% with three or more glasses.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, especially those of you who have continued to drink alcoholic beverages.

Vicki
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
StillHere

Hi Vic, I am going for quality of life vs quantity. Cheers!
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
fauxgypsy

Up until last month I hadn't had a beer since I started chemo. I like to have a beer occasionally. Then I see this research. I think "d@#&*t. Then I remind myself of the following story. Years ago I was on a beach in N.C. It was cold and I had the beach to myself. A guy came over after a while and we started talking. He said he was a priest and we talked for a little while. Then he offered me an illegal substance (many long years ago). I was shocked, not by the substance but by the priest having it. When I questioned him, he said that he was an Episcopalian priest, that they believed in all things in moderation. So when I start to obsess about something like my occasional beer, I remember the priest on the beach. Quality of life is good!

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
PinkGirl

Talking alcohol

Love that beach story Faux - everything in moderation, even for the priests.

I have never been much of a drinker. On Christmas morning I sometimes put some Bailey's in my coffee. I have met so many women who have none of the risk factors for BC but get it anyway. That research would not stop me from having an occasional drink if I wanted one. I'll still be throwing the Bailey's in my coffee this Christmas.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Jeanette

I enjoy having my wine and cheese in the evenings. There are people out there that have never smoked or drank and are riddled with cancer. I am not saying go out and drink for drinking sake, but like the last few posters , every thing in moderation. I had an aunt that maybe had a drink twice a year and died of breast cancer. So it is an individual choice, for myself I will continue to have my wine in the evenings, Blessing s to all, Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Debra

Well from what I understand, it is the excess estrogen secreted from alcohol use that increases the risk.
I have had a hysterectomy and I am on an AI, so you know what-----I don't have any estrogen!! So, I will enjoy my glass of wine!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
hutchibk

You know, I'm not much of a drinker either. (see nickname: 'half beer brenda') But I do have about 3 beers a month and at least one margarita a month. I can't imagine that that small amount would be very harmful. Now I will probably reconsider and not have any at all if I ever start to show up with Liver mets....

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 AM   #8
R.B.

This is an interesting informative yet understandable article on alcohol and BC, and should be considered in the light of the later articles on alcohol and BC status. As usual it appears to be complex.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...2e128dc81feffc

ABSTRACT

"Recommendations

The potential risks vs benefits of alcohol consumption should be considered in individual decision making.215 Clearly, alcohol abuse and excessive drinking (>=3 drinks per day) should be discouraged, in light of the numerous deleterious health consequences accompanying such behavior.216 Also, women abstaining for personal, ethical, or religious reasons should not be encouraged to drink to reap a perceived health benefit. For those considered sporadic or occasional social drinkers (<1 drink per day), alcohol consumption is unlikely to significantly affect breast cancer risk. Regular consumption of alcohol as low as 1 to 2 drinks per day may contribute to a modest increase in risk. However, when considering low-to-moderate levels of consumption, recommendations based on a woman's overall risk profile for chronic disease seem prudent.20, 217-218 Thus, recommendations about alcohol consumption remain valid1, 219 (ie, women who do not drink should not start, and those who do drink should do so in moderation, which is generally recognized to be about 1 drink per day).

Alcohol intake is one of the few modifiable breast cancer risk factors yet identified.220 To better understand the etiologic nature of the effect of alcohol on breast carcinogenesis, more research is needed. In particular, studies should focus on interactions between alcohol and other risk factors221 and on additional insights into the multiple biological mechanisms involved."

This is an interesting review

This and the two other items below all seem to suggest alcohol impacts aromatase and oestrogen related products.

It suggests risk may be BC type related.

RB

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/con...ull/12/10/1061

"Reviews and meta-analyses of observational studies evaluating alcohol use and breast cancer risk have consistently shown that alcohol use is a moderate risk factor for breast cancer (1, 2, 3, 4) . Specifically, a recent pooled analysis of 53 epidemiological studies reported that breast cancer risk increases 7.1% with each additional 10 g/day of alcohol consumed (1) ."

The Relationship between Alcohol Use and Risk of Breast Cancer by Histology and Hormone Receptor Status among Women 65–79 Years of Age1
Christopher I. Li2, Kathleen E. Malone, Peggy L. Porter, Noel S. Weiss, Mei-Tzu C. Tang and Janet R. Daling

"Alcohol consumption is associated with a moderate increase in breast cancer risk, possibly because alcohol increases estrogen levels in blood. Certain types of breast carcinomas are more hormonally responsive than others, including those that have a lobular histology or are hormone receptor positive, but few studies evaluating alcohol use and breast cancer risk have stratified results by histology or estrogen receptor (ER)/progesterone receptor (PR) status. We conducted a population-based case-control study of women 65–79 years of age in western Washington State. Women (975) diagnosed with invasive breast cancer during 1997–1999 were compared with 1007 controls. Ever-use of alcohol over the past 20 years was associated with a 1.3-fold [95% confidence interval (CI), 1.0–1.5] increased risk of breast cancer, although this increase was primarily limited to women who consumed >=30.0 g/day of alcohol [odds ratio (OR), 1.7; 95% CI, 1.1–2.6]. Differences in risk by histology were observed: ever-use of alcohol was associated with a 1.8-fold (95% CI, 1.3–2.5) increased risk of lobular cancer but only a 1.2-fold (95% CI, 0.9–1.4) increased risk of ductal cancer. Ever-users of alcohol had an increase in risk of ER+/PR+ tumors (OR, 1.3; 95% CI, 1.1–1.7), but no change in their risks of ER+/PR- or ER-/PR- tumors. Alcohol use appears to be more strongly associated with risk of lobular carcinomas and hormone receptor-positive tumors than it is with other types of breast cancer. These results are consistent with there being an underlying hormonal basis for the known association between alcohol use and breast cancer incidence....."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
R.B.

Here is a trial in the lab again suggesting differences in effect for different BC status.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

"Treatment of ER+ human breast cancer cells (MCF-7 and ZR75.1) with ethanol at concentrations between 10 and 100 mM was associated with increased cell numbers compared to controls. The ERalpha content and the amount of intracellular cAMP also increased in ER+ cells exposed to ethanol, compared to controls. On the other hand, ethanol treatment did not increase cell proliferation or cAMP levels in the ER- (BT-20 and MDA-MB-231) human breast cancer cells. Therefore, ethanol added at physiologically relevant concentrations to ER+ human breast cancer cell cultures can enhance cell proliferation and increase the content of ERalpha."
Old 10-13-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
R.B.

And in the lab alcohol pushes up aromatase expression.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...RVAbstractPlus

Ethanol stimulates proliferation, ERalpha and aromatase expression in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells.
Etique N, Chardard D, Chesnel A, Merlin JL, Flament S, Grillier-Vuissoz I.

ABSTRACT

"At the same stage, RT-PCR studies demonstrate a 2.4-fold increase in aromatase mRNA level which is confirmed at the protein level by western blots performed after immuno-precipitation of the enzyme. Taken together, these results are in agreement with the involvement of ER signalling in ethanol-induced stimulation of breast cancer cell proliferation and could help to understand why alcohol consumption is associated with breast cancer risk."
Old 10-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
Mary Jo

Thumbs up

I stand with "Stillhere"

Cheers back at ya,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
Becky

Hey Vicki

I owe you a letter but thought I'd reply to this. Remember when we were in Atlanta together and met that oncologist from Meridian, Mississippi? I think we had just come back from a presentation on bc and alcohol (or maybe we were just thinking of consuming some alcohol!!??) Anyway, he told us to make sure we consumed 1000mg of folic acid if we were going to have more than 2 alcoholic drinks and that he did.

There are studies on this. I really don't think alcohol is a big deal unless you really go for it every day (3+ per day). Most weekdays, I don't drink because I get too tired to run, cook,clean up etc - even one glass of wine will do it. But on Friday - Sunday, my mood and metabolism are running high and Pete and I will split a bottle of wine. If we go out to dinner, we will have a cocktail AND split a bottle of wine. I will also have 2 glasses of wine on a Friday and Sunday night too. I figure, I eat right, exercise, take my supplements - I went through 2 years of treatment to live - and I'm not supposed to enjoy whatever time God has decided I am supposed to be here for? If I did everything bad, I might be more concerned but if I did everything bad, I wouldn't care either (nor would you). You take super care of yourself and are vigiliant as I am and most of us on the board. Have your drinks when you want to. Just eat your greens too (rich in folate!!)

Love you Vicki. I will privately write soon.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
Mary Anne in TX

Talking

Gee'z! I've spent the last 30 years having had NO alcohol at all and very little before then. I was just in the process of planning a most inviting introduction into "wine tasting" for the purpose of relaxation and some fun finding those I would enjoy! I love research!!!
Still sounds like a good plan though! I've been in denial mode far too long!!!
What do you think? Continue the tee-totler (is that spelled right?) life or give life a whirl?
You know, maybe Tip could give us some advice on this one! I noticed that he really does appear to be an inquisitive sort of guy. And I'll bet with his spirit of adventure, he might have picked something up on his travels within the medical environment! Worth a try, you know!
mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Marlys

Well, I guess statistically I am doomed. I did everything to excess (and quite frankly I enjoyed most of it immensely). However, without that I would have never found the life I have today. And for that I am grateful. I drank until I could drink no more and I smoked until I decided I wasn't going to pay that much for them anymore. However, I am not going to give up eating anytime soon.
Sometimes reports of scientific studies get to be too much.
For those of you who drink so little (which I cannot understand) keep it up. Don't give up on the quality of life that you have.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
KRISS

You know before all this started I was a pretty hard core drinker. Around 3 drinks a day, every day for years. I have no family history of BC and often wonder if I did this to myself. But since chemo and all I can hardly drink at all. For one the taste is not the same. I used to love red wine and now find it hard to go down. Every now and then I crave a glass of white and go for it but all other alcohol does not appeal to me( ok a margharita at our mexican place, but a small one not the big honker I used to knock back). Maybe this is Gods way of saving me from some other illness or problem. But moderation is the key.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
KRISS

Marlys, you crack me up! I love your spirit and zest for life!
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #17
Hopeful

Wine is my hobby and a very big part of my life. I enjoy wine three to four times a week with wine friends. We pour a lot, but pour out a lot, too - we taste rather than drink, but the tastes add up. I would say it comes to to two three glasses on those occassions.

All of the doctors involved in my treatment are aware of this, and not one of them has suggested to me to cut down or cut out the wine. I have no intention of changing my consumption habits. I have added a folic acid supplement to my diet since dx.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
Vic

You Women are the Greatest!

Hi Wonderful Wise Women,

Wow, I am blown away by the great response to me posting and that's why I love each and every one of you! It's nice to know we can count on each other for sage advice and support and it's fun to see everyone's special personality shine through.

Thanks, Becky, for the pleasant reminder of our great time together and, yes, I do recall Mr. Onc. from Mississippi telling us about the 1,000 mg. of folic acid. So, I will continue to eat my greens and go to the health food store and buy some folic acid when I imbibe. I also take milk thistle on occasion after I've had some drinks, too, as I hear it's good for liver cleansing. This sounds like I live in a "bottle," and I really don't; I just want to watch what I'm doing internally while I'm enjoying life. (Becky, I look forward to talking with you online!).

So, here's a toast to each of you for keeping everything in perspective. Thanks again.

Love and hugs from Calif. and have a great weekend,

Vicki
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #19
Sheila

Funny. my Mom has never drank in her life...she has breast cancer, and me, I like an occasional martini, margarita, bloody mary, glass of wine, and oh don't forget the Miller Lite...or the new Miller Freeze!....but all in moderation.... and I have breast cancer... I live life each day! Last night I tasted a Bacardi Mohito for the first time....didn't like it at all...taste like cough medicine!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Grace

I love wine but stopped drinking in 2001 when my husband stopped because he had been diagnosed with diabetes. The day I was diagnosed with BC in 2006 I stopped at the local wine shop and purchased a bottle of champagne. Herceptin altered my taste buds so I didn't drink much in the last year, but now that I'm off herceptin I have my wine and enjoy it immensely. I don't enjoy the folic acid supplements as much, but I take those as well.