HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
PinkGirl

Question Boob vs. Boobette

Hi everyone
I am wondering if any of you who wear a prosthetic have any advice on what to do when the real boob gets bigger than the fake boob. I have gained a lot of weight and I refuse to purchase a larger fake boob.......I still have plans to lose some weight!! Do any of you have any ideas ( like hints from Héloise !!! ) about how to make a fake boob look bigger ? It is quite noticeable above the fake boob - it looks flat compared to the other side. Just wondering..Thanks

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Sheila

Pink Girl
You could possibly pad the bra...heh, just like old days with the kleenex...I would check with the insurance about getting fitted for the larger size...most insurance company allow replacement every 1-2 years...then keep the smaller one for when the weight comes off....LUCKY YOU...I wish my weight gain was in my chest! Its getting closer with my double chin!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Jeanette

Talking Pink Girl

I have just the oppisite problem. My one boob is just getting saggier. You can get another one, or just stuff it. I too have weight gain that is hard to come off, Hugs , jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Sandy in Silicon Valley

need for an inflatable, deflatable prosthetic

Hi,

Yeah, gaining & losing weight over the last 15 years since my mastectomy has been an issue for me as well.

Here are some (I hope helpful) hints:

Most insurance companies will cover a new prosthetic every 2 years. So when the time comes, get one size larger. Keep the old one in case of future need...

Place an "expander" (like a shoulder pad removed from an old garment, a piece of foam/ fiberfill fabric cut to fit, or a bra "liner" (many retail bras have removable padding these days) behind your too-small prosthetic, either inside the special bra "pocket", or next to your chest, and adjust it until it fills your bra cup equally with your real breast. Make sure the fabric and prosthetic have some friction between them, or the extra padding will slip around uncomfortably and embarrassingly. You can even use double-sided fabric tape to hold them together.

Or, buy a fabric "shell" or pillowcase-type cover, from a breast prosthetic specialty business, by the manufacturer of your prosthetic, sized to fit either the one you have, or one size up. Then tuck the expander fabric inside the covering, at the back.

If it's any consolation, friends of mine who've had reconstruction years ago have the same problem!

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
dhealey

I don't have that problem anymore since I have had bilateral mastectomies. But I have not had reconstruction and am not going to. My insurance won't pay for prosthesis, so I found these bra inserts at walmart that give normal women the pushed up look. I bought these for 5.00 each and I just slip them inside my bra. This might work for you also.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
PinkGirl

Talking Thanks

Thanks everyone. I guess I will "build" something to put inside my bra.
I was given a soft, small prosthetic right after my surgery ( I call it the powder puff ). I have stuffed that into my bra a few times, but it slides up and out the top. I think I'll make something and use the fabric tape. I can get a new prosthetic covered by insurance, but I'm being stubborn about it. I think it will mean I've given up on trying to lose some weight. I never thought of getting a bigger one and then switching back if I lose the weight... dah.......
Thanks for the advice.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 09-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Acting like a boob... but seriously, ladies!

Hi Pinkie, You always make me laugh. I'm no Heloise, but... My little bobbette, interestingly, I too had a similar problem after my tram flap reconstruction (done @ the same time as my mastec). They make the new boob bigger because when the time comes to match it up, you can deflate it w/in office lipo or you must go in for another surgery to inflate it -- all done after healing and done w/chemo. Obviously no one wants another surgery. So my new boob was bigger than my real boobette, which is a D cup. Consequently I had to stuff the real side as per the above post by Sandy.

Now, a tram flap includes a tummy tuck, so I was quite curvaceous, beyond my usual. A friend I adore asked, Why do look even larger breasted than before. I mean after a mastec? She was confused. And she noticed. Judy is a wonderful honest and open person, and I love that in a person. I explained. It is befuddling. I am now more even, yet perkier in my 12 yr old boobette and my 63 yr old boobie. I do not look like the cartoon characters w/ boobies just above the waist, but I ain't no youngster. So, in a bra, I am now pretty well balanced looking. (Though we all know I am totally well balanced emotionally and spiritually... Tehehe, as Marie would say.)

PS Pinkie, do you like the name HELOISE for our HAMSTER (see thread by Pink Girl). A Girl w/a sweet idea for bonding as Sisters. Leave it to Pinkie!

I can't remember -- is it in the Did you Know thread? All about Chinese Hampster Ovaries.
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
PinkGirl

Smile Heloise

Yes Andi, I like Heloise for the hamster's name. I also like your idea of Braveheart. I've checked the other thread - Herceptin....did you know, but I haven't seen any other name suggestions. How about Boobette?

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Name That Hamster

My Pink one... Looked up Chinese girls' names. Must be a slow day. I just feel so sapped of energy (low RBC) that my brain is too foggy to work on my book. So this is how I am occupying my time. I am successfully amusing myself. These are what I found for our Chinese Hampster -- names and meanings:

BO -- PRECIOUS
NUWA -- MOTHER GODDESS
CHANGCHANG -- FLOURISHING
JINGHUA -- SITUATION SPLENDID
HALO -- ANGELIC

HAPPY THOUGHTS...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
mts

Pink Girl

Victorias Secret has a great "T-Shirt" bra that has a smooth liner in it that provides pretty good shaping and smoothing that does not "pucker or cave in". After my 2 lumpectomies, I had a very noticeable smaller breast compared to the normal one. This bra felt great and gave the appearance of a fuller breast. Since then, I have had surgery to downsize the normal breast and I still wear the same bra.

Maria (MTS)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
sassy

Pinkgirl,

After having a staph infection, I ended up with a "caved in" chest on the mast side. My prostesis was the right size standing up, but when I sat down in fell "into the hole" and my left side look considerably smaller. I used the "fluffy" that I got (same as the one you mentioned) and stuffed it inside the pouch behind my prothesis. It works like a charm. My insurance would pay for another prosthesis, but I'm not sure that would solve my problem.

Good Luck!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote