HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
madubois63

madubois63 update

Well obviously, I am posting again. I have had a very rough 3 months. I don't remember when I last posted and what I wrote, so I'll give a little summary. Early June, I was doing great. Recovering very well from the bone marrow transplant, just going along. Then I got a high fever. Back to the hospital for two days. I go directly passed go - straight to the bone marrow isolation ward. After hydration and some medications, they sent me home. Five days later, I started to turn yellow and my liver functions were going up (wrong direction). Back to my room on the 19th floor. More meds, lots of test and biopsies and a week later, I am told the tests are inconclusive but I most likely have Host verses Graft Disease. This is very common with a bone marrow transplant and a little of the disease is good. It means my body is working to absorb the donor. I was released from the hospital with plans of going to the cancer center for follow-up 3 days later. I refused appointments on my sons graduation, but realized that day that I looked like something out of a horror movie - no lie. My skin had turned green and my eyes were glowing yellow. The next morning I packed a bag, canceled the cancer center and walked in to the transplant ward. They started me on a treatment of ATG (horse serum). Six treatments, given every other day. The last three doses were doubled because it wasn't working. This was my best shot at recovery. If this stuff didn't work, I'd be dead before the year was out. I am not a candidate for liver transplant because of my medical history - nice to know. My bilirubin (liver function) was up to 12. Normal is less than 1. I had to have my catheter removed because of hospital infections, they stuck a line in my neck in the hospital and then sent me home with a pick-line in my arm. They sent me home to wait and see what happens. I had to go back to the cancer center 3 times a week for IV medication and lab work, but that was better than hospital food and isolation. I came home and eat all the right things. I slowly started to turn pink again and the bilirubin decreased every time I took labs. As of this week, my bilirubin is less than 1 (yeah), My hemoglobin is over 10 (that hasn't happened in years), I am walking 2 miles a day, eating the best I ever have and feeling like I am a real healthy live person again (before cancer). I am slowly being weaned off the medications (including steroids and insulin). Some of the drugs raised my sugar so high, I had to be put on 2 kinds of insulin to control it. I have once again amazed the doctors. They just don't know what to think of me. I just refuse to let this get me. I got my son off to college and now I have 2 more years before my daughter graduates. I will not let my daughter live with her father, so that's just it! I have to be here. He is such a deadbeat and probably wouldn't fight for her anyway, but if it meant keeping child support, who knows. So except for the pick-line, I do not look or act like a patient...I am now down to visiting the cancer center once per week and have taken on new hobbies. I am thinking I may take a class or two next semester. I am more than half way towards my BA and would love to finish. If you want to read my whole story... http://journals.aol.com/madubois63/A...weeklycalendar/

I guess I should put all my blogs together - another project to do.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
sarah

Bravo Marianne,
Great to hear an update from you.
You are brave and a wonderful writer.
nice to see a phot of you - so young and pretty.
Stay well, be happy.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Unbelievable! Totally, wonderfully, unbelievable!
Cheers to you! And thanks a million for the update!
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
mom22girlz

wonderful news!

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling the best you have in a long time. You are so amazing! Keep it up! Thanks for the update.
mom22girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
lilyecuadorian

great ..

Is soo good to know that you (one) of the role models are doing great ...keep doing please and thanks for the upgrade ...
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
doh2pa
Deceased

Marianne you are awesome! And such an inspiration to all of us here. Although my fight has been much easier than yours, I too am getting a son off to college tomorrow (that was my first goal...to stay alive to see that through) and I, too, have another child who will be going off to college in two more years. So let's have that goal together! WE WILL BE HERE IN 2 YEARS to get our kids off to college!!!
Sounds like you are off to an excellent start!
Mastectomy 4/04 - 4 rounds AC
9/05 - mets to liver treated with carbo/ixabipelone/herceptin
3/06 - complete remission
9/06 - new liver mets, starting Taxotere/Herceptin
1/07 -Liver mets stable, staying on Herceptin
5/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting T/X
12/07 - Liver, lung progression - starting weekly Navilbene/Herceptin
4/08 - Liver progression - started Abraxane, Carbo, Tykerb and Herceptin
7/08 - Liver Progression - started Gemzar, Avastin and Tykerb
10/08 - Liver progression - starting Doxil
doh2pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Julie2

Very glad to hear from you. Keep it up and keep on going.

Thanks,
Julie
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
chrisy

MA,
I've been wondering about you and was so glad to see you posted yesterday. Great new picture.

You just keep on going, leaving your doctors scratchin' their heads and thinking "I want some of what SHE's got"!

Amazing, amazon woman!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation You Rock!

Okay Maryann, You're a bona fide living, breathing miracle. More power to you. You have the life expectancy of a cat with nine lives. You are strong, brave, and one of the most determined people I've come across. The energy you emit just exudes positivity, no matter what, and I mean that literally!! Your story is amazing, and your Spirit truly is luminescent. I can see it shining from your words. You are proof that the power of our thoughts and the force of our sacred Souls is mighty. So glad to read all about you and FEEL your loving energy. I'll see your feisty Spirit and send you back some more!! Stay well and healthy. Insist upon it, as you obviously have been for a long time. You've been through the wars and come back to us with a joy that bounces off the walls. Thanks for sharing it all with us. Stay close... Andi

YOU ROCK, MARYANN!

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Mgarr

All I can say is you just continue to AMAZE me and I am sure you will finish you BA!

Mary

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
sherri

You are my hero Maryanne, I love to see you one day in person and hug you. Your children are blessed to have a mother like you.
LiveStrong my dear.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Joy

Thank you, thank you, thank you

for updating us! Not only do I celebrate for you, but for all of us. You are amazing, inspirational and kind and I am so very, very happy about your turnaround and that you are feeling good!!!!!!!
Thank you so much it means a lot.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
StephN

Smile Wow, what a TRIP

Great to hear that you should be "over the hump" with the transplant difficulties. It has been a long tunnel to crawl through. but you have showed us the shinning light that is YOU out the other end and lighting the way for others.

Thanks for the update and some details of how you are doing otherwise.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
sassy

Maryanne,

Its so good to hear from you--and not surprisingly--find you are doing well once again. You continue to be an inspiration to us all!

All my best,
________
Live sex

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:29 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
moonkid

I appologise if i am not doing this right. I am trying to find out what calcium in the brain stem.I cant find out where to go. Can any one help me?
Thanks in advance and sorry if i am doing this wrong.
moonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
Shell

hurray!

Maryanne-

We all look forward to hearing how you are doin, and I am delighted with the poitive turn of events. keep it up!!

Kind regards,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
fullofbeans

What a story! Well done for being so up beat, inspiring..

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
tousled1

MaryAnne,

You are truly an inspiration! I enjoy reading your updates, especially since you seem to overcome all obstacles that are thrown in your path. You are awesome!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
tricia keegan

Smile Superwoman!!

Maryann you amaze me too and I love your pic! You must be as tough as a horse to get through all you have and still keep going. You are definatly an inspiration to all of us, maybe you should be turning that blog into a book!!
You go girl
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote