HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
hutchibk

Took a chance and it's working!! Good News...

Got results from my second MRI today since I was diagnosed with brain mets and started Tykerb/Xeloda. As most of you know, I lobbied my med onc and rads onc to scan me regularly and keep me on watchful waiting to see what kind of response we would get from the T/X crossing the BBB. I wasn't ready for WBR or targeted rads just yet. It was a coordinated decision among the three of us, and a calculated risk that we all agreed would be OK, as long as I stayed well scanned, TMs looked good, had no brain mets symptoms. The minute one of those things indicated otherwise, I was ready to consider targeted rads. Well, TMs (CA15.3) have dropped from 45 to 9 since the middle of May and have stabilized at 9, and the MRI showed today that the five punctate spots are no longer visible and the three bigger spots have shrunk between 1/3 and 1/2 in size in the last six weeks...

My onc is very excited. Says I am a poster child for Tykerb/Xeloda. I wonder if they need one? I could use some mailbox money... LOL.

Just wanted to share! No rads necessary, at least not yet. T/X is still working its magic.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Alice

Thumbs up

How wonderful!!! congratulations.
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
chrisy

Woo Hoo! Great News!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Julie2

very good news. This is the first time I am hearing about such a good response to Tekerib+xeloda. I am happy for you.

Thanks,
Julie
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Jean

Brenda,
Loved hearing your great news....so very glad your getting strong
results from treatment...keep it going all the way!

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Thumbs up Great News!!!

Brenda,

That is awesome news!!!! I am so very happy for you. Seems like you made a very excellent choice in your decision to hold off on rads.

I wish they would add Tykerb or Temador to my Xeloda but because I was on Tykerb, Taxol and Herceptin as my first treatment in a clinical trial and progressed after 15 months they wont do it. My Onc. is reluctant to let me try the Temador which also crosses over the BBB because there has been no study done of Xeloda and Temador together.

I then failed on Navelbine/Herceptin and then failed on Gemzar/Herceptin. I am not quite sure how they figure out which drug stopped working for me out of the three in the clincal trial, perhaps they all did. They have taken me off of the Herceptin recently too, it was part of the stipulation of my insurance company authorizing the use of Xeloda. My Onc. had already said that I could come off of the Herceptin before I started the Xeloda because she thought that it had stopped working for me also, which it probably did because my liver mets had grown in size but I had decided to stay on it because I wasn't totally convinced that it wasn't doing something for me, I just felt that it needed something else added to it such as the Xeloda. I didn't like the idea of not being on something until I could get the Xeloda either. Thank goodness though that the insurance company finally did authorize the Xeloda because they denied me twice before approving it. They probably would stop paying for it if I was able to add Tykerb back in which I can't afford without the Ins. It can all be so frustrating.

I will keep you in my prayers that the T/X keeps shrinking those mets down and puts you in NED in no time.

Oh, yeah, I can't wait to try the Tea, thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us.

Sending you lots of love, hugs. well wishes and prayers.

Nicola

March 18, 2004, Age 36
Diagnosed: High Grade DCIS, Microcalcifications, Solid and Comedo type, Nuclear grade 3 with 1mm margins, ER+, PR+, Stage "0"
3-8-04 Left breast lumpectomy.
4-1-04 thru 6-24-04 Adjuvant XRT.
11-29-05 Gallbladder attack.
12-01-05 Surgery to have gallbladder removed, discovered cancer spread throughout liver in both lobes, HER2+ amplified by FISH and interestingly enough negative for ER and PR.
12-9-05 Clinical trial consisting of Tykerb, Taxol and Herceptin along with Zometa once a month. On clinical trial for 15 months before liver mets started progressing. Started on Navelbine 3-9-07. Navelbine failed, switched to Gemzar July 07. MRI of the brain on July 7, 07. Results revealed multiple brain tumors. Taken off of Gemzar immediately and began 15 rounds of WBR which I completed on July 26, 07. CT scan on 7-26-07 significant progression in the liver mets. I am now getting ready to start on Xeloda along with Herceptin and Zometa once a month.
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
hutchibk

I think Patty Z is our resident Temodar 'expert' - maybe shoot her a message and see what she has combined it with so far. It has worked very well for her for a couple of years... in conjunction with some targeted rads too, I believe.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
VaMoonRise
Deceased

Thanks Brenda

I will be sure to make a post to Patty Z asking about the Temador. So happy to hear that it has been working for her and pray that it continues to for many, many years to come.

March 18, 2004, Age 36
Diagnosed: High Grade DCIS, Microcalcifications, Solid and Comedo type, Nuclear grade 3 with 1mm margins, ER+, PR+, Stage "0"
3-8-04 Left breast lumpectomy.
4-1-04 thru 6-24-04 Adjuvant XRT.
11-29-05 Gallbladder attack.
12-01-05 Surgery to have gallbladder removed, discovered cancer spread throughout liver in both lobes, HER2+ amplified by FISH and interestingly enough negative for ER and PR.
12-9-05 Clinical trial consisting of Tykerb, Taxol and Herceptin along with Zometa once a month. On clinical trial for 15 months before liver mets started progressing. Started on Navelbine 3-9-07. Navelbine failed, switched to Gemzar July 07. MRI of the brain on July 7, 07. Results revealed multiple brain tumors. Taken off of Gemzar immediately and began 15 rounds of WBR which I completed on July 26, 07. CT scan on 7-26-07 significant progression in the liver mets. I am now getting ready to start on Xeloda along with Herceptin and Zometa once a month.
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Mary Anne in TX

Thumbs up

Way to go, Brenda!
I love that you made the decision and then ran with it!
Best of all it is working for you!
Hey, the poster child thing would be a kick!
Would love to see your face everywhere!!!!
Great news! Thanks for sharing it with us!
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
Mary Jo

Brenda,

Yours is the first post I read this morning and IT MADE MY DAY! Sending HUGE HUGS and prayers for continued healing.

Love you "sister"

Mary Jo
"Romans 8:28"
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
lilyecuadorian

Thumbs up

thanks, FOR THE GOOD NEWS, your news is my too....thanks for give us hope ......
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
pattyz

Brenda!

This is just awesome news! Am so very happy for you... really wonderful results!

My next Mri is on Fri. Appt with onc the following Thurs for report and will again bring up, and this time pursue, the Tykerb to add to the Xeloda.

It has been two yrs today for me on Xeloda with and without Temodar...

More happy scans in your future, lady!

hugs,
patty
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
lexigirl

Great news Brenda! It sounds like you have a terrific team of docs working with you. That's awesome!

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
Gerri

YAHOO! I love good news like this!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking You Really Know How To Make My Day!!

Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey, it is so important to be updated with so many of our friends suffering with brain mets. My husband reads the posts I pull and follows everyone's progress, he knows who I am talking about just by remembering their path to NED!! He has asked me about you and if you did get the results yet, I thought that was so cute (would I marry someone who wasn't??)

I cannot wait until he wakes up and reads this news, between his stomach and not starting chemo on the 13th he is a tad under the weather and I am so unused to seeing him like that. He is a laid back Italian man who rarely gets upset with anything (attitude: "Ah, what 'ya gonna do!!=told you he was cute!! LOL!!). Always he has made me feel secure with life, this week I pushed away those doubts.

Thank you for letting us rejoice in your good news, in fact when I get back home for the evening I am going to drown myself in Tumeric Tea, a Pomergranate Henri Bendel candle and warm thoughts of how I have wished this for you for so long. Oh, know you bought the fixings but did you try the tea yet??

Continue prayers on this journey, big cyber hugs, and always positive thoughts with you in them!! And Brenda although we are off to a late start.....WE WILL MEET YOU IN NED, PLEASE SAVE US A SEAT!!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
hutchibk

Oh yeah! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tea! I made it with the turmeric, almond oil (yummy) and vanilla enriched rice milk and a touch of maple syrup to sweeten. It's soooo good.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #17
Grace

Brenda,

Wonderful news. So happy for you.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
tousled1

Brenda,

That's absolutely the best news I've heard for a while. You certainly did make the right decision. Praying that the T/X continues to work its magic for you. Way to go!
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
Mary Anne in TX

It makes so much sense to me cause then you'll know what worked for you! Takes courage though and you have it! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Becky

This is excellent, excellent news. Its great the treatment is working its magic for you. Its good to get news like this on the board and that Tykerb is working on those brains mets for you!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote