HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Peggy

Question Question about reconstruction

Hi guys,

My oncologist, plastic surgeon, and breast surgeon wanted to wait at least two years before I consider reconstruction. Well, I'm almost there and have an appointment to see the plastic surgeon to consider options. Originally, they told me that since I would have radiation, an implant was probably unlikely. What type of reconstruction have you had after radiation? How much time off work will I need? Are you pleased? Any information you have will be appreciated. I've read the different options but haven't spoken to anyone who did reconstruction after radiation....Thanks for helping

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
harrie

reconstruction

Peggy,

I recently had a double mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction at the same time. I have also had a history of radiation on both sides. I am soon to go in for the finalization of my DIEP reconstruction and I will probably have small implants put in.

Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Lauriesh

I had a mast, followed by rads on that side. About 10 months after finishing rads, I had a diep flap on that side. That was 8 months ago and I am extremly happy with it. the radiated area is a little red compared to the rest of the breast, but no other problems.

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Ruth

Hi Peggy:

I am a little unusual as I had reconstruction with expander and implants after radiation. It worked for me so far and I am very pleased with the results. It is a roll of the dice since it has a 70% failure rate...so many PC's won't attempt it. They take into account your skin and muscle health after the radiation. Mine didn't show any signs of elasticity, scarring or muscle tone problems so we went for it. They also wanted to be sure that I never smoked...not sure why that was a factor. To be honest the expander fills were pretty bad in the pain category even though he did them very slowly 30cc's at a time. You feel like you have a rock attached to your chest. It is weird feeling. You can't go too big either..I am a size big B or small C cup which works great for me personally. The silicone is very natural and pretty!

Hope this helps!
Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
kimber

Hi. I had a double mastectomy in June '05. Then AC/T (H). Then left side chest wall radiation. In July '06 had latissimus flap on left side with expanders in both. After full expansion had replaced with silicon implants. Then had nipple reconstruction. As a matter of fact I just had the final step - the tatooing done this morning!!!!!!

LOVE the results!!!!!!! My surgeon does not do expansion only in rad's patients. Period. I would not consider that option. If you are going to do it, you really should do it all the way. I have had no complications.

They both look identical. Can't tell which side was radiated. I feel very lucky. I am glad that I was patient and followed my plastic surgeons advice. Not a quick fix, however, I am in this body for the long run!

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. If you have any questions, you can email me direct! klarson@hatchagency.com -kim
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Reconstruction

What is "DIEC"???????????? In '95 I had a mastec + tram flap reconst at the same time. It was, for me, the only way to go. Not all docs are willing to do this. They want you to wait till after chemo. I was adamant. There could be complications, it was explained. I was determined to have absolutely NO complications. It was all bad enough as it was. They cut me from hip to hip, got a tummy tuck in the deal as they remove fat from that area, along with SKIN, muscle, tendons, nerves, the works and re-route it up to the breast area. Then they form or create a brand new breast! It feels like there was a large heavy boulder hanging from my chest. I had been warned of this feeling, but, could not imagine.

I was not a candidate for implants or the like, as they would take the skin in my mastec. 9 cm tumor, going wide around the margins, taking 18 nodes gave me only this option. I have been very pleased. In clothing I look normal. I am a C cup+ and didn't want to look lop-sided nor deal w/a prosthetic. Wanted to see something when in a nightgown. We don't all get options. For me, it was cut and dried. (Is that how the expression goes?) You get the point. I'd been told the belly skin is lighter. I knew that but was aghast when I saw the difference. I recovered from the shock and now I deal. All the scars, etc are badges of courage and reminders that I AM SURVIVOR. That's how I chose to see it. For more details contact me at: AndiBB@AOL.com.

Good luck w/your chosen reconstruction. Enjoy it! I am. Sending much loving, healing energy to ALL my soul sisters, ALWAYS... ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Peggy

Thanks

Thanks for the information...and I am really pleased at all the positve results. I am 61 and thought it might be silly to go for reconstruction...but now I plan to live a long time and just don't want to deal with putting my boob on the nightstand each night!

I'm anxious to see what my plastic surgeon recommends now that the time is right. Luckily, I have no visible effects from the radiation, so it sounds like that is a plus....and since it seems from your responses that reconstruction is a process not an event, I think I better get started!

Thanks again,

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote