HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Just one of those "I'm curious" surveys!!!!

Hello everyone - This oughta get the juices flowing in the old fingers as far as posts go!! Hehe!

I am curious about something. How many of you were heavy duty sugar eaters BEFORE cancer. When I say sugar I mean eating things like lots of chocolate, pastries, candy, cookies, cake etc. I ate lots - way more than I should have. I was always an avid exerciser and did keep my weight down. I also made sure I ate all the right things BUT I did eat wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too many of those chocolately things - bakery items. I still struggle with it and TRY TRY TRY to not overindulge in those things. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes I am not.

We always here about the correlation between "sugar" and cancer. Sometimes I stress over that and as I'm OVERINDULGING in the chocolate I feel so guilty. I picture cancer cells growing while I'm eating it. I know I'm torturing myself with that kind of thinking but I can't lie and say I don't think about that. For the most part I do much better than I did before cancer but as I said earlier, sometimes I don't and of course the more I stress over me "killing" myself the harder I make it for myself.

Ok - now I'll wait for you to share with me. Hugs to everyone and a kiss I send - A CHOCOLATELY ONE! Hehehehehehehehe!

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
KellyA

Hi Mary Jo,

Well, I wasn't necessarily a big "sugar eater"- not straight sugar anyways, but I would say that I was a HUGE carbohydrate eater. Breads, pretzels, cereals, etc. I have also heard/read the correlations between sugar and cancer, but if I really looked at my diet, there were probably any number of possible problems. I had an extremely acidic diet, and have drunk 10 or so diet sodas daily since I was about 15. So, whether its sugar, acidity, or aspartame :-), who knows. Could have been the fertilizer we used or some bug spray I breathed in when I was eight also. Wouldn't it be wonderful though (in a perfect world) if sugar KILLED cancer?! WHOO HOO!!!!

Love,
Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Oh Kelly - sugar killing cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that truly would be the perfect world, wouldn't it? And boy would I be successful on that diet! Haha!

You are right though. It surely could have been a number of things and really who the heck knows. If only we didn't always try to figure it out. In a realistic state of mind, I know that wracking our brains over it won't solve a thing BUT sometimes it's so easy to say "if only I wouldn't have done this or that." Ya know? But of course, I know that isn't true either. However, I was curious as to who ate a lot of sugary junk before cancer and who didn't. And of course, I am always striving to do healthy things for my body. That's the best we can do, I guess.

Hugs to Kelly and a sweet chocolately kiss. :-)

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Becky

I didn't eat very much sugar and ate a relatively good diet - just way too much of everything (especially too much meat which I have changed). I also drank alot of diet soda too. I think my biggest mistake was that I did not exercise much so I was about 40 lbs overweight (no longer though).

I changed the diet soda and haven't had one soda of any kind since I was diagnosed (keep repeating - the body is made of 70% water not 70% of diet soda). I also don't eat processed meat (except ham at Christmas and Easter - I love a nice baked ham) so no hot dogs.

I also used to put sugar in my tea which I stopped.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
hutchibk

I never was a sugar eater. Not very drawn to sweets. I never liked candy or desserts. I rarely drank colas, and ate bad carbs very sparingly. I have always tried to be a smart eater most of my life. On average, I probably consumed less than 1/4 cup of sugar a week as I usually used alternate sweeteners such as honey, maple or stevia....

Now, I have to say that since being in and out of chemo for the last 3 years, I have suffered from cravings for sweets like never before in my life. And I have less will power than ever before... when it comes to cookies and chocolates. At least I make a conscious effort to eat only dark chocolate.

Anyone else had cancer treatment CAUSE them to have sugar cravings??
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Becky

I will say that it was not the chemo but the Herceptin that gave me great cravings - especially for brownies - anything with chocolately goodness. I was grateful when I switched from weekly Herceptin to the every three week treatment. My kids would make some brownies on that Friday - or peanut M&Ms . I HAD to do it!!! And it was that as I don't need that anymore.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
RhondaH

Exclamation THAT'S putting it mildly...

I inherited my fathers sweet tooth and ate SOOOO much sugar not to mention up until 6 mo before dx I was allergic to fish and fowl (can now eat fish) since I was 4yo so the red meat and pork were my only diet (besides sugar). I PERSONALLY think that my cancer was caused by poor diet ( I always thought I was destined to be diabetic/heart attack) as NO one in my family had cancer and what "turned the switch on" was the MAJOR stress I encountered when my father became terminally ill and I was trying to care for him from 100 miles away, work full time, take care of my mother who broke her back while I was caring for my dad AND take care of my 3yo son...I was having MAJOR panic attacks. So much of what I read shows "relations of HER2" to different aspects of diet and insulin. I have SINCE had hardly ANY sugar (only when I bake and a candy bar every week or 2, but honestly they taste SO plastic, I've backed off from them). I eat fish twice a week, vegetarian twice a week and either beef or pork (organic) twice a week (we take turns as to what beef or pork each of us have a taste for then we don't get in a rut) and of COURSE my 9+ fruit and veg a day (I also think that JUST fruit and veg is not the answer, but a VARIETY of nutrient dense fruit and veg...when I unpacked I found a book I had from Readers Digest called Foods that Harm, Foods that Heal...had it for many years and when reading it so much of the fruits and veg I used to eat...corn, pears, etc...have little to NO nutritional value whereas what I eat now are a lot of the cruciferous veg...and I eat them ALL, bitter as they are...but I think these especially will help me stay healthy). I don't think there is one MIRACLE food, but you need to mix them all up. Last week due to my mom being slightly anemic, I made liver and onions (learnt this trick when my red counts during chemo were 8.1 and they wanted to give me procrit and I refused...now in reading I think I made a good choice...my mom would make liver and onions and the iron REALLY helped my reds take off...try it) and my 6 yo son LOVED it. Take care and Good bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Wow Rhonda - Kudo's to you! You really eat super duper! I thought I was eating pretty darn good - hmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................is thinkin' not so much now! Haha!

Seriously, I do alright. Really concentrate on fruits and veggies - fiber - whole grains. I take 1 tsp. of Arctic Cod Liver Oil with an orange taste, every night. The 1 tsp. fills my Omega 3 requirements as I don't eat fish. I also take calcium with magnesium and minerals. I exercise faithfully, but always did do that. I powerwalk/jog (mainly powerwalk) 4 miles a day - sometimes 6. I break it up into 2 - two mile walks per day - sometimes 3. BUT man, am I impressed with what you do Rhonda!

High fives Rhonda!

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Karen Weixel

I didn't eat much sugar at all. As a matter of fact, I'm still a very healthy eater.

Not sure it did me much good though.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Grace

Please stop blaming yourselves. I was out of the country for a number of years before my diagnosis. My husband and I had fish (usually salmon) four or more times a week, lots of salads and wonderful vegetables, always served with olive oil, very few sweets, and we walked an hour each evening, up and down hill. My good friend who does not have cancer is very over weight and eats sweets and junk all the time. My mother who did not have cancer was devoted to sweets and died at 88 from Congestive Heart Failure. And then there's my other two friends (both with breast cancer) who danced for years for major ballet companies (so lots of exercise) and both very careful, healthy eaters. You are not to blame for your cancer! Repeat this three times, please. Of course, you should eat healthy foods and exercise every day, particularly now, as it's great for our hearts and makes us feel good. But stop hitting yourself over the head.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Lolly

I am the first one in my family to have breast cancer, or cancer of any kind for that matter. My grandmothers, mother, sisters and I have ALL been devoted to sweets our whole lives, but also a healthy diet. The only thing I've done differently is that I have taken mega-doses of vitamins for 20+ years. I stopped when I was diagnosed. Food for thought, as there is an interesting school of thought that there CAN be too much of a good thing, ie throwing the body out of balance.

And now, playing the devil's advocate, an interesting article:

Science Daily: Can a Spoonful of Sugar Stop Cancer?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0925083439.htm
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
caya

I was also not a big sweet eater ( except during my period, when I had to have chocolate), but I did eat alot of carbs- potatoes, bread, bagels, pretzels, chips etc. and alot of diet coke (caffeine free) - but who knows, the aspartame? I think Grace is right though - I have couple of friends who are severely overweight - they don't have cancer. I really think stress was a factor with me - like RhondaH I had an extremely stressful year - my husband had a brain aneurysm in Jan. 2006,I (he is fine, a full recovery, but that is another story) - and not only did I have the worry about him, keeping my two daughters sane, etc. - we basically run our business ourselves and I had to take over all his work (which involved a lot of travelling) and do mine too - I did hire someone to help out, but believe me, STRESS was my middle name. I discussed this with my GP after my diagnosis, and she thinks there is a correlation between extreme stress and cancer - she says she has seen this before in her practice. So who knows? All we can do is soldier on and fight the beast. But if sugar could be a "cure" - man sign me up!!

caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Jean

Red face Thanks...for heads up information on herceptin and

sugar! I have noticed lately that I crave chocolate soon after my herceptin treatments every 3 weeks. About three or four days later I just crave it.
I gave in this weekend and boy did I feel guilty as I really eat up a lot
of M & M's (the peanut kind)...hmmmmmmm they hit the spot. It's funny
because on the average I don't have those cravings and eat pretty healthy
I am not perfect (I think that is why God put erasers on pencils) but
we must all remember that many women who followed very strict veggie
diets (Linda MaCarthy for one) still got breast cancer. I think something
goes a stray in a chemical manner and the cancer along with our immune
system allows the cell to take off. Those hormones play a mjor role also.
I hope we all learn the why and how real soon......in the meantime, hide
those M & M's every 3rd week...

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
rinaina

I was never a huge sweet eater but I did eat sweets from time to time. I am particular about what goodie I will eat though. I won't waste the calories on just any old sweet treat. I probably now have some type of dessert about 3 times a week though but sometimes that can be a piece of fruit, big on berries and watermelon and grapes, and as we all know, fruits have a lot of sugar in them. I think the old rule about anything in true moderation is wise. Portions are important too. But don't leave the pan of fudgy gooey brownies around me because they would disappear in no time flat! I don't bake because of that.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
janet/FL

I was on strict Atkins for 3 years prior to diagnosis as my husband is diabetic and that diet controls blood sugar very well. So no sugar, no bread, lots of water, I don't drink soda pop,-- we ate fairly healthy. Sauteed spinach, garlic and tomatoes with scrambled eggs for breakfast were our favorite. Some suralose for sweetener.
With chemo/Herceptin--I couldn't stop craving sweets. Now off Herceptin--I don't crave sweets. I had lost 35 pounds prior to diagnosis. I have now gained back12 of them.
Janet/FL
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Bev

I didn't eat many sweets prior to BC. Worked out lots, normal weight, ate salads and protein, even salmon, and olive oil. As I am slightly perturbed that that lifestyle didn't work out I am eating chocolate with abandon. By the way, fruit does convert to sugar. Will eat fruit but chocolate makes me happier. I think chocolate covered strawberries or broccoli is the answer.

Not my fault, Grace! I am going to make up for chocolate for- gone in the last 48 years. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
Grace

Actually, there's lots of evidence lately that eating chocolate is good for us, particularly dark chocolate. So eat away. I love chocolate and I eat it whenever the craving hits! If anyone wishes, I have a great recipe for chocolate mousse, very easy to make.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
Chelee

I've never been a soda drinker. I am a major water drinker. I have been for a good 15 plus years now. I've been told I drink too much water. (Not) lol Other then water I have my tea in the mornings, and when I'm out its ice tea. As to cooking dinners for me and hubby we WERE the meat and potato kind of people, but then I did cook a variety of other things. Including veggies with all our meals. Lots of fruits throughout the day. Big cereal eater in the mornings...be it boxed or oatmeal, malto meal, etc. My boxed cereals are NEVER suger coated...can't stand them. I ususally have bran flakes, Corn flakes, Shredded Wheat. Now I will sprinkle a tiny bit of suger on top along with a cut up fruits. My *worse* habit *was* ice cream. I got to getting into ice cream more then I should late at night. It got to be a BAD habit which I can now stay I don't touch it since I was DX. The other major player for me as Rhonda mentioned is stress. I have had far too much stress in my life...one thing after another. Major stress, not little stuff. I use to always tell everyone the stress alone was going to kill me.

Plus I was disabled before bc due to a serious back problem which seriously keeps me from the exercise I need so bad. But I did ride my bike often and used my pool throughout the summer. But exercise I feel is so important. I was the first one in my entire family to ever be DX with any type of cancer...I was in shock. But then I did wonder if the over exposure to repeated x-rays of my back for scoliosis from age 5 to 15 yrs old wasn't behind it? Guess I will never know. Susan Komen site mentioend the excessive x-rays.

But this is an intersting and fun post just to see if we can see any type of a pattern here. But when it comes to sweets, I don't think I really over did it. Maybe at *times* during Christmas & Holidays if someone bought me some See's candy or something yummy. But I was not one to just sit and snack on donuts, cookies, candy bars. Again, my worse thing was my ice cream.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #19
Mary Jo

Such great responses and it did prove the point I was after. That being........................................... that we all did something different. Ate different. Different stressors. It didn't matter. Here we are. It was just something I was curious about. You read so much about the different correlations but honestly, none of them seem to make sense because we all know someone who did the things the "experts" say we should do and still got breast cancer or another cancer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming myself. Not at all!!!!! HOWEVER you can't help but wonder if certain habits could have contributed. You can't help but wonder with all the speculation out their. But, deep down I know, it's what was meant to be. For whatever reason, and I accept that.

And Jean, I love your comment "that's why God put erasers on pencils" Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks everyone. It was a fun post. Hope more people respond.

Stay happy and eat that chocolate.

A hug to everyone.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 AM   #20
skeetur

I joined the Breast Cancer Sister Study last year after my sister was dxed. I had to fill out tons of questionnaires about diet, habits and environment from ages 10-12 (I think) and now. Diet as in foods eaten including fats, processed meats, etc. Habits as in makeup worn, deoderants, lotions, etc. Environment as in living proximity to chemical plants, gas stations, tanneries, etc.

Unfortunately, being dxed this year myself... I'm out of the study.
01/23/2007 Re-excision Lumpectomy: No clear margins on the DCIS; mastectomy recommended
03/02/2007 Bilateral mastectomy w/ expander implant insertion
03/19/2007 Emergency surgery to fix broken blood vessel in left breast
03/30/2007 Met w/ oncologist; oncologist checking on HER2 status with pathologist and doing some consulting on my case - no treatments for now!
05/02/2007 Next appointment w/ oncologist
skeetur is offline   Reply With Quote