daughter

herceptin dosage

Hi all
I haven't posted in a while. We moved from Atlanta to Jacksonville and
it's been a crazy month or so. Meanwhile I managed to get the doctors
in Yugoslavia to give herceptin to my mom, as they first refused saying
that's not the right treatment for her, and than admitted that they just
don't give it to post menopause patients. My brother and I agreed to pay
ourselves so she had received her second treatment 2 days ago.
They are giving it with taxol 500mg and 450mg of carboplatin. First dose
was higher on herceptin 4mg per kilogram of body weight and I understood
that other doses are reduced to 2mg/kg. I can only find info on that if it was
given weekly. She receives hers every 3 weeks. Can anyone tell me what dose they are given on 3 week treatment?
My mom's life is so important to me and we are trying to do anything we can, even though I am not sure how long we can continue to pay for it out of the pocket. I am just thinking, if she is supposed to get 2mg instead of 4mg /kg of body weight she can get twice as many treatments for the same amount. She is been feeling OK so far, just tired. But she continues with
her daily walks and takes naps during the day. My aunt spends 3-5 days
with her after each treatment and helps around the house and than mom
feels good enough to do things on her own. My dad is trying to help as much as he knows how.
I would appreciate very much if any of you have leads or answers for me.
Keep on fighting!
daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
tousled1

The first dose of Herceptin is larger than subsequent doses and is called a "loading dose."
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Lolly

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=6 width=538 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>I received my first Herceptin/chemo combo as a weekly tx when diagnosed with recurrent bc, when I had been postmenopausal for 5 years. I've since alternated from weekly to 3 weekly to 2 weekly and now back to weekly.

Here's an excerpt from an article regarding the dosage amount for 3 weekly:

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>OncoLink: Herceptin treatment every three weeks as safe, effective as weekly dosing</TD></TR><TR><TD><SMALL>Last Updated: 2002-03-22 13:31:13 EST (Reuters Health) </SMALL>BARCELONA, Spain (Reuters Health) - Based on preliminary results of a phase II study presented Thursday at the 3rd European Breast Cancer Conference here, Herceptin (trastuzumab, AstraZeneca) administered every three weeks is as safe and effective as administration every week.

Dr. Josep Baselga, chief investigator of the study and head of oncology at the Hospital Vall d'Hebron in Barcelona, explained to Reuters Health that this finding "is going to make the treatment more comfortable" for women who undergo this therapy for HER2-positive tumors.

The researchers recruited 105 breast cancer patients with at least two metastases, the majority of which were in the lung and liver. The women were given an initial dose of Herceptin of 8 mg/kg of body weight, followed by a dose of 6 mg/kg every 3 weeks. The usual dose of the drug when administered weekly is 2 mg/kg.

The observed response rate was 23%--comparable, according to Dr. Baselga, to that observed with weekly administration. Side effects were very similar to those reported with weekly administration, and there were no "unexpected adverse effects" reported.

The oncologist commented to Reuters Health that the HERA clinical trial that includes 3000 subjects will conclude in 1 month. The trial compares the two dosing schedules of Herceptin in breast cancer patients without metastases.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
MGordon

Hey daughter...

I would say that since she's has made it through the loading dose things are going to be better now . The most problems with Herceptin revolve around the large loading dose and not the following weekly or tri-weekly infusions. That being said, make sure the Onc keeps up on the MUGA and/or Echo heart tests!

Love and Light
Mel
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
daughter

thank you all

I will call and make sure she is getting the right dose. I just don't trust them
too much over there. I know they are checking her EKG before each treatment
and her bloodwork. I can't wait to see on a next x-ray or scan if the meds
are having positive reaction. I am hoping her mets are reduced.
Thank you all again
daughter is offline   Reply With Quote