HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Val Pfeiffer

I need the basics about Tykerb....

hi guys :-)
Can someone give me the "reader's digest" story about the current status of Tykerb? My situation is in my signature; I also am watching a non-cancerous mass on my pituitary, so I am having MRIs every 3-4 months.

I am asking this question because I want to be on Tykerb myself and I want to figure out how to get it (so far I have been successful in getting my way on the rest of my treatment requests).

But I am also curious because of a friend of mine. She had a recurrance 13 years after a stage I or II tumor she had in her mid- to late-50s. Her bone and liver mets were discovered shortly after my initial diagnosis (2005), and she was successfully treated with the same meds I received (Herceptin, Taxol, Carboplatin). But a month or two ago, she was losing her balance (of course they wouldn't do a brain MRI unless there she exhibited symptoms--I HATE that), and a 4mm tumor was discovered. She had surgery and will be getting radiation. But I wonder....could she have ben treated neo-adjuvantly with Tykerb, then surgery, then radiation, then continue wth Tykerb? That's just my uneducated thought, and I want to hear from you all about what you have experienced and learned.

thanks!
Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

Val,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,

Tykerb is slated to be FDA approved within the next 4 weeks for Stage IV bc patients. Like pre-adjuvant Herceptin, you may be able to find an onc that will give it to you "off label"

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Celeste

Tyberb

I am currently taking Tykerb through Expanded Access Program. there are various sites across the country where the drug is available. Certain criteria must be met to get the drug such as Herceptin must have "failed" etc... Also
Xeloda must be taken as part of the program.

Glaxo Smith Kline is the drug company.

Best of luck to your friend

Celeste
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote