HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Soccermom

Question First brain MRI,any tips?

Hi folks!
I've been having heachaches and neck pain and am scheduled for brain/head (not sure how to refer to the MRI) MRI on Thursday mornimg. I didnt get a chance to speak w Nurse (inventory at work) so i'll ask you guys.....is a brain MRI similar to a thoracic MRI. It is done with contrast...will I need muscle relaxers so I can remain still (lying on back KILLS my neck)? I know,I know ...I need to call my Doc....but in the meantime any suggestions? Its at 7:30 AM and I have to be at work at 10:00...any chance I will make it?

Thanks in advance!

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Chelee

Marcia, Time wise it *should* go pretty quickly. I JUST had my brain MRI. I was there about 1 1/2 hours total. That's counting the time I arrived which was EARLY. A brain MRI will be the same as your thoracic MRI...the only difference I know is its of the brain.

There is contrast involved. They have you lay on that little table and strap down your head so you don't accidently move it. They give you ear plugs as its loud. (If offered...take them.) They slide you in the machine head first to about where your breast would be. Then you just lay still while listening to the *banging* sound it makes for about 15 minutes or so? It makes different sounds as it does its thing. After that 15 or so...they slide you out and inject you with some contrast and then back in the machine you go for round two. The same thing happens. Bang, bang, bang. Thats another 10 minutes or so and your DONE.

As to your neck pain...they really try hard to make sure your as comfortable as possible. Like I have serious back pain. They got some foam and put under my lower back and always a big foam block to put under my knees to relieve pressure off my back. I STILL hurt...but it did help. It was very nice of them. They offered all this without me asking. They run into these things all the time and usually have some way of making you more comfortable. If your muscle relaxers will help your neck...it might be a good idea to ask your onc if you should take one before you get there? The BIGGEST thing is they really DON'T want you to move at all. (They don't want you to wear eye make-up or jewerly.) No metal.

I think you will do fine. The worse is lying on that hard table and not moving. But I just close my eyes and focus on not moving. Then I try to think of happy things. (Its over before you know it.) If I left anything out...let me know.

Sending you happy thoughts.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Soccermom

Thanks so much Chelee..
I guess I could have read through others posts re: MRI mybad!) Are they always done w/ contrast? I just have to decide which arm to sacrifice to the "lymphadema G-ds" before I go...I have a port ,but they wont use this one for contrast..boo hoo.

Thanks again for your help!
Warmly,Marcia
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel

Marcia, for some the brief use of an anti-anxiety drug like lorazepam really is helpful in holding still, so do ask your doc about that possibility.

At the time of my brain MRI I was having trouble lying down at all because of the vertigo that was the reason for my MRI!

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
mslinda

Brain MRI

Hi Marcia:
Don't have any tips for a brain MRI. I had a abdominal MRI because of things going on with my liver in November, and my onc. wanted me to have a brain MRI also, but I wasn't able to go through another so soon. Anyway, I will be praying for you on Thursday, that you breeze through this. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.

Linda
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Soccermom

Linda,Alaska Angel ,Thanks for responding..I spoke w Nurse at my Oncs and she said "no sedatives"...so I asked ,"IF" I am in excruciating pain can they call the office for a Meds approval? and she said yes....Gee, I hope someone is in the office at 7:30 AM?! Sometimes I am such a dunce!!!!!!!!

Wuill let you know how it goes,thanks again, Marcia
Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Soccermom

Dear All,
MRI of brain was excellent! No lesions etc etc!!!!
Cervical spine shows spondylitis and stenosis..I know what they mean but wonder what can be done for pain issues?

Thanks for the suopport!

Marcia
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Carolyns

Marcia,

That is great news! I hope that you plan to celebrate. Not cancer - that is good.

Next you will figure out what to do about the pain. Sorry to hear that you are in pain.

Love and Peace, Carolyns
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
lynnw

Hi Marcia! That's great news! Scans are so scary, but it's such a relief when they come back clean. I'm happy for you! I noticed under your dx/treatment history that you have lung nodules being monitored. Would you mind sharing your experiences with these (dr's advice, followup,etc)? I also have 3 small nodules being rescanned 1/29, so I'm curious about anyone who has had similar issues. I'm praying their nothing to worry about (for both of us). Thanks.

Lynn W
lynnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
sarah

Hi Marcia,
congrats on the MRI.
My husband had ankolysing spondylitis and his neck fused. He suffered great pain and was put on heavy inflammatories for a while. now he just takes ibuprofen periodically particularly before he plays tennis. Be sure to see a rhumatologist about it and learn what exercises help keep you flexible. My husband found acupuncture fabulous for the pain. He started going 3 times a week, then 2, then 1 and then just periodically. now he doesn't go anymore.
hope the pain is cured - it can eally be depressing.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #11
Soccermom

Lynn,
During my initial staging (Jan05) CTpickedup three pulmonary nodules too small tobiopsy.They have remained unchanged after 2 follow up Cts. Perhaps they are artifacts,who knows?

Best wishes to you!Marcia