HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Lisa

Tykerb

I'm starting to feeling like a puppet. My onc has answered every question asked by the trial's "owners" and STILL no Tykerb. I've been through every chemo, etc. and I really need to try Tykerb. We're still trying, but I feel forgotten.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Barbara H.

I'm also wondering when it will be approved. I am currently responding to Navelbine so I can't get it.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
StephN

Wink Glad to "see" you!

Dear Lisa -
I was just about to post if anyone had heard from you after your exploratory surgery. Perhaps I missed a post. But was wondering how you are feeling and if the procedure helped at all.

I am still fighting stabbing pain in my scalp after the last surgery on my head a month ago. Had to ask for more pain meds today, as Tylenol is no good and they do not want me taking any antiinflammatory pills yet.

Hope the dam will break soon and you can get the Tykerb.
Have you tried Avastin?? I have a friend on it, but your blood pressure must be in control to stay on that one.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Sandy H

Lisa, maybe its time to start screaming!!!! and get tough!!! Can Joe and Christine help you? They are our advocate for Tykerb. Might want to call them or send them an e-mail. I hope you can get it. Keep fighting my dear, its your life and not their! Sending you a big hug, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
lu ann

Lisa, Tykerb Compassionate Use, Celeste

Lisa, Look under this post for Joe's reply, second web-site. It will be Zion, Illinois. Neelamm is the doctors last name. Trials are open and i believe this is Cancer Treatment Centers of America. I went there for treatment 2 years ago and they were allways upfront with me and never jerked me around. Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Joe
Webmaster

Lisa,

I have sent you an email which may help.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
jessica

Tykerb-ExtendedAccessProtocal trial

Hi Lisa~
You've probably already gotten the info you needed re:access to Tykerb, but I thought I'd share w/you the info I've gathered.
I've been exploring this new EAP Lapatinib+Capecitibine trial too. I spoke w/a coordinator @ 888-489-5372 & she was very helpful & is sending info in the mail. If you go to the clinicaltrials.gov site & enter "EAP Lapatinib" a good amount of info pops up, including sites in every state.
The Principal Investigator @the site here in Atlanta is the same MD that was the PI on a previous clinical trial I was enrolled in, so was able to get a little more inside scoop.
I was told that the enrollment/pt.accrual schedule is 1 patient per month, but that may be a different @the site that near you.You must have "measureable disease" and "Progressive disease following treatment with anthracyclines, taxanes and trastuzumab (Herceptin)-(trastuzumab must have been for treatment of advanced or metastatic disease). "
I'm not eligible for the trial for a couple of reasons-no previous anthracycline (like Adriamycin or Doxil) and by some truly,great miracle (see other post!!!), no measureable disease
Hoping your access to Tykerb is not far away...

Keep the Faith!
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
lindaw

Dear Lisa

I wish you get hold of the Tykerb quickly - you have been through so much .
I am trying also to get it as my skin mets have come back a little after the radiadtion, and have new ones on my shoulder and now a swollen neck node. I was told 2 weeks ( im in Aus - don't think many people here have done the EAP thing yet. Well 2 weeks is up and the paperwork is still in Canberra and when it returns we have to send another one and then when thats returned - we ge the drug. meanwhile i though i had had my last herceptin but now next week i will be due for it again - cause no lapatinib to replace it. I feel unprotected - if i wasn't getting Lapatinib i would have started another chem ( not many left - i think taxoter).
It is so hard to wait and I am starting to understand how Sandy and others felt - particulalry when I am remeinded by the pain from the skin mets - constantly.
Its another degree of unfairness - i feel like going away somewhere for the week and a half and coming back when its here. So hard to get thru each day knowing there is a drug which looks so promising and can't get ir cause of red tape.
I hope you get it very soon .

love
linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Sandy H

Linda and Lisa: I certainly, can relate to your frustration. I went to bed crying one night I was so frustrated, along with hurting from the skin mets. I felt like no one cared about me!! There this drug was suppose to be there for us and yet here I was waiting, waiting and still waiting. I sent my oncologist an e-mail(I never e-mail him) sharing my frustration. He assured me he was doing all he could be get it through. The paperwork is the problem. Then I had a call from our dear Christine here. That lifted my spirits at least someone cared! I really knew they did but you both and others know what it is like to wait. I finally let it out to the Data Manager nurse when she kept saying she understood and I told her "no she did not because unless that person walks in our shoes-no they don't understand". I was not a nice person for a couple of days to her as I was not only frustrated but angry. I told her in 9 weeks of waiting people loose this battle. When we are first diagnose with an aggressive disease such as this one we are rushed into getting scans done, chemo started and surgery. Yet, now we wait and wait. This gives me a mixed message here that I don't like. Well, things started happening fast after that. She told me several times during signing of all the papers(about 20 of them) I could my point across very well! I told her this disease made me that way its called fighting for your life. She said again, "yes, you can get your point across"! I told her only if I really have to. I have been praying for you both and I check this board every night and morning looking for your post saying, "you have it" Sending you both a big hug, and more prayers to help you hang in there. Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
lindaw

Thanks Sandy

Its great to know that you are there and wishing the Tykerb on its way.It means a lot.I know how you felt when you said it is fighting for your life.Its so frustrating knowing there is something available but can't get it.

love
Linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote