HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
lynnw

ques on lung nodules

Hello,
I usually am just a lurker, mainly because I am not confident enough in my knowledge to offer sound advice to others. I read often, however, and glean lots of good advice and much encouragement from the women, and men, of this site. And today, as I find myself in a frightening situation, I turn to everyone here for your experience and opinions. Following 2 1/2 years of aggressive treatment (neoadj chemo as part of a study- 16 rounds of weekly taxol and herceptin with carbo added every 4th wk, mastectomy, followed by 4 AC, radiation, oopherectomy, herceptin alone from 1/05-8-06, and continue on an AI), I thought I was doing well. I had 8 of 12 nodes positive, but all other scans at diagnosis were clear, and I've had 2 bone scans and 2 brain MRI's clear since then. Today my onc reported that 2 small (5mm) nodules showed up on my recent CT scan (done because my abdomen felt bloated- abdomen appears fine on scan). She spoke with the radiologist who said we should repeat the scan in 3 months. My onc said she isn't alarmed and doesn't want me to worry too much about it. Needless to say, I'm petrified!! Can anyone share experience with nodules in lungs that turned out to be something other than cancer? Should I have other tests done or wait the 3 months. Sorry to be so longwinded; I'm not thinking clearly. Thanks in advance, Lynn W
lynnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
penelope

Hi Lynn,
I know that lung nodules can in fact be from infection or inflammation as well as cancer. My brother has a nodule and has never had cancer of any kind. He had a repeat CT scan and they told him that he had "valley lung" which is scarring from an old infection. In fact "valley lung" is a real medical condition here in Ca due to when they used to burn the rice fields around us.

Have you been sick with a chest cold or bronchitis since your previous CT? If so....your lungs could just be scarred.

And remember CT's show all kinds of benign things as well.
Hope this helps.

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Alice

Red face

Lynn,

I had almost the same thing happen about 2 1/2 months ago. I was having some pain in my abdomen due to a cyst in my ovary. My GP ordered an ultrasound and an abdominal CT. I didn't expect anything to show but the ct cought the bottom portion of both lower lung lobes that showed multiple 5mm nodules and a 1 cm lesion in the liver. My onc also said not to worry too much and have the scans repeated in 3 months. Needless to say all I have been doing is worrying. I think she has seen a lot of false positive scans that turn out to be nothing. It doesn't help much though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I should go in in about 2 weeks for repeat scans but I might wait a little longer.
Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Sherryg683

I was told that lung nodules are not unusal, can be due to environmental factors. I had 2 subcentimeter lung nodules that lit up for cancer on the PET scan. They went away after 6 weeks of chem, although I did and still do have a couple of subcentimeter nodules that have never lit up for cancer, and I've had 3 pet/ct scans since diagnosis. Like I said..doc said they are not unusal. If I were you, I'd ask for a PET/CT..then if that shows positive, see if they can biopsy it..pets have a high rate of false positives.sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote