HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Ceesun

Question Xeloda and the Brain

Does xeloda cross the blood brain barrier? I have read some posts of some on Xeloda for brain mets? Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
pattyz

The evidence says it does. It is technically small enough in molecular weight to do so. Some have had positive results with Xeloda for brain mets. Whether it does for everyone, or the mets respond well to it, those are still questions.

But, given the evidence and observations, I think it is in fact a potentially good option for some to try with brain mets.
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
al from Canada

Here's the kicker however, because the herceptin molecule is too large to cross the BBB, and often chemos in HER2 cancer aren't that effective without a HER2 block, xeloda alone may not work. You will probably need to take Tykerb as well.Al
Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
pattyz

Al,
But then there is the good news, too. Hannah in the UK reports that her sister's onc put her on just Xeloda for her brain mets. And she did respond well. They are waiting to get the Tykerb there, now.

There is also a gal who has posted here that she was in one of the Tykerb trials, with brain mets. But, she did not respond.

That's why I think it's fairly important to TRY something that has shown response, cuz' one just never knows. This includes the Tykerb, ofcourse.

Medical oncs have little choice when presented with a patient who has brain mets. Referral to rad onc is sop. They've had nothing decent in their 'bag of tricks' to offer us. This Xeloda response has got to be great news for them, I think. I know my onc is really delighted that I am still here, and have responded for almost a year on the X/T combo.

Maybe the reason for the small study reported by Lani was the hopeful report of the previous small study using Xeloda/Temodar for specific bc brain mets. They want more input.

When the Tykerb becomes widely available, that will also cause a similar reason to smile...

Best wishes, Al xoxo
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Ceesun

thanks to both for the informative discourse on this issue...learning more and more on this website..very helpful indeed!! Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote