HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
sassy

Any advice?

I know many of you are knowledgable about much more than breast cancer, so I am hoping you may be able to give me some advice or guidance.

My step sister has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is somewhat limited and my dad and step mother are handling most of her care. They are asking for my advice; however, they are in another state and I'm not sure I get all the correct information from them. I do have some concerns about where she is getting treatment. I learned today that her port was accessed three weeks ago and the needle/tube was left in until today when she went for first treatment! Her onc told her they must have thought she was going to get treatment three weeks ago and left it in by mistake!

My father told me that she is Stage III, with only two lymph nodes removed, one of which showed positive. One spot on her colon, but not penetrating. Would it be optimal to only remove two nodes? Do they do sentinal node testing for Ovarian cancer? If one of two was positive, isn't there a possibilty that there may be more positive nodes? Her chemo is carboplatin and taxol, but I'm not clear on how many treatments she will be getting.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on sites to research.
________
Cheap Bongs

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:52 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
StephN

I have a friend with Ovarian cancer and they started her with the Carbo/Taxol. It worked for a while but she progressed. Then she has had several other chemos and now targeted therapies since then. She has made it longer than most with that disease.

Shocked about the needle left in the port. You parents are not in the know about these things, and it would not occur to you to ask such a thing!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Sassy, I don't know if you already have gone to facingourrisk.org, but it has a message board for issues involving ovarian cancer, BRCA, etc. I've never used it but you could try there.

Like Steph I am shocked that the port was left accessed, and even more so with a patient who would be so unlikely to realize the importance of that.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
sassy

Alaska and Steph,

I too was shocked, but not surprised that my step sister did not know. She is slightly mentally challenged, able to live on her own, but needs assistance with finances, etc. So I am sure she assumes the medical personnel are doing all the right things. My stepmom is pretty savvy, but has no experience with cancer. I just wish I had asked more questions of them both. Its hard to get a picture of what is going on by phone, but I am going to ask more questions. Thanks for the tip on facingourrisk.
________
Vaporizer Stores

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:52 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote