HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Chelee

MRI of brain-Results are back...

I have had an on-going headache like never before. I was getting stressed as you all understand. Finally got my results back and its CLEAN. Now I can exhale again. I hate having scans...but I sure feel good when I get results like that. Now I just need to understand WHY I have had such a bad headache for so long? I don't think it could be ALL the stress could it? LOL

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
lexigirl

Chelee,

Well I am sorry that you are still suffering from the headaches but I am very happy that your scan is clear. That's great news. I too have been having headaches and am wondering if it's from sinus issues. I had a brain mri last week because I have been having headaches and needed a follow up scan. The tech said the scan looked fine. I wonder if it could be from the herceptin?

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Lee

Glad you got good news!

Nothing like a clean scan to put your mind at ease! I hope your headaches get better soon.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Becky

Thank goodness Chelee. Maybe you should premed with the Herceptin treatments for awhile. This happened to me after I stopped premeds and the onco nurses (the sweet angels they are) told me to start up again and that solved the problem. I then reduced down to just one tylenol and one benadryl and now, well after one yr, I take none.

Herceptin can cause sinus issues and those headaches are killers. Maybe you need Flonase or some other steroidal spray to reduce sinus inflamation (just thinking out load here).

Smile, smile, smile Chelee. You're past the worst of it and rads will be over in a month. Then its just the easy Herceptin.

Love, Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
tammymarie1971

Hi Chelee, so glad to hear that your scan was clear!!! I also had a severe headache that lasted for days it was awful!!! I was so sure it was mets, anyway the scan came back clear and I did try flonase nasal spray and it worked!!!!
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
dede10

I have had occas horrid headaches, too, and had clear scans as of last week. i do have 2 hot nodes on PET in the back of my neck, but I just wonder if I am just becoming prone to migranes, & stress of everyday fighting with this stupid disease
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Chelee

Lexi, I think it must be the herceptin. I have read several women like us are talking about these darned headaches. I am sure sorry to hear you have suffered the same thing...but glad to hear your scan was CLEAN too. Yeah.

Becky & Tammy, I WILL try the flonase, if it worked for both of you...thats enough to make me give it a try. I appreciate the help. I will try anything at this point...I hate headaches.

Becky, I am still using pre-meds for my herceptin. I always have. I know sometimes the nurses and others will say you don't need them...but I did herceptin twice WITHOUT any of them...and I did have problems. Nothing serious...but I rather stick with them for now. I have enough problems. lol I still get benedryl, tylenol and tagment.

I have ANOTHER appt tomorrow for a lung function test at the hosptial...so I will run to the drug store and get me some flonase. I can't wait to try that. It just might do the trick. Thanks!

I haven't gotten to start Rads yet...I am past due. But my pulmonary doctor ordered this lung function test for me and now its delayed my Rads. I will be at eight weeks as of next Monday...and they say to start in 3 to 5 weeks. I hope this doesn't cost me in the long run?!

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
penelope

I have been having a headache now for four days. I have thought that maybe it was the heat here in the sacramento valley as we are having that heat wave, or the sore throat that I have had that started and moved into my sinuses. But of course your brain wanders you know???????

Hearing that you ladies were fine with your scans makes me feel much better. I had a CT scan last November and my brain was fine and I have never had mets yet. Now with the idea of herceptin causing it, I wonder. My question is....when did you ladies have your last infusion? Mine was last week and my headaches started this week.

penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #9
John21

Smile headaches

It is interesting all the people who have had severe headaches. My wife's Onc continually said it is not a symptom of Herceptin along with fatigue, but yet my wife and all of you seem to have these symptoms.( go figure ) She also had scans done and they were clear( what a relief ). Glad to hear it was clear too. I wish they would at these to the list. I think we have quite a consensus.
John21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
judiek

Chelle,

Great news...now I hope you can get to the bottom of those headaches.

Warmly,

Judie
judiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Sherryg683

I agree with Becky, I would put my money on it being the Herceptin. I am right now in one of my Sinus from Hell headaches. They last for about a month. My MRI came out clean also, so now I know it's just sinus stuff. I think the Herceptin magnifies it. I have mine done weekly and the only premeds they give me is tylenol. ..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Chelee

penelope, I really believe 99.9% it HAS to be the herceptin causing these headaches. There are far too many of us women on herceptin with this same complaint. Plus almost every one of us Herceptin gals also has had problems with sinuses. If it causes so many sinus problems...then my thought it must be a herceptin headache. (Can I prove it...no.) lol

As to my last infusion of herceptin...that was 7-17-06. But I have had a "on-going" headache since June 23rd, which at that time was FIVE days AFTER my herceptin. (Strange?) I noticed you said yours was LAST week and your headache started THIS week. That sounds like me back on June 23rd? Hummm...we are on to something.

John, When I started Herceptin back with my chemo regimen...I got weak, shakey in the knees, and a bit of nausea. This would happen EVERY time with my WEEKLY Herceptin. One night I just felt awful...called the nurse advice line...they got a onc doc on the phone. I told him I didn't feel good and I only had herceptin that day. Told him my problems, and right away I might add...NOT very nice...he says "HERCEPTIN WOULD NOT DO THAT" in a very stern voice & he HUNG up on me. (Sure made me feel much better.) NOT!

I finally did a search on google...and I found out herceptin CAN cause nausea. It says so right on their page. You think these onc doc's would believe their patients when they hear the same side affects over and over again about the same drug? But MANY...not all....just don't.

I am with you John...I DO think they should ADD these to their list. Headache, sinus problems seems to be VERY common. I get tired of these doctors saying "That drug would NOT cause that". How would they know UNLESS they had a infusion themselves.

I can't believe your wifes onc said fatigue is NOT a side affect of herceptin. I can tell you first hand it DOES cause fatigue in some, and I am one of them.

When I get my herceptin...its usually the FIRST day I have EXTERME fatigue when I get home. I am SO TIRED its not funny. But I will admit...it gets much better about the 2nd day after a good nights sleep...then I feel pretty good considering.

Chelee
Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #13
tousled1

I started Herceptin in June and for the last 4 weeks I have had a never ending headache. Pain medication does not touch it. I started radiation Monday and on Wednesday I came home and was extremely nauseated. Called the oncologist who prescribed some meds for the nausea. Thursday went to radiation and mentioned the headaches to the radiologist doctor and he immediately ordered an MRI of the brain -- had it done same day. Today the radiologist did not have the results of the MRI back so I'll have to wait until next week to get results. I'm sure that this never ending headache is from the Herceptin. Seems I'm not the only one suffering like this.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
kareneg

Smile Awesome!

That is great news! I am so happy for you!

IDC
DX 1998 STAGE I ER+/ PR+
AC CHEMO TILL FEB 1999
Tamxofin till 2001
2001 exstensive liver mets and mets to lungs
Started weekly taxol
Jan 2002 found out I was strongly HER2POS+++ started herceptin continued with taxol and herceptin till June 2002 then from June 2002 till Jan 2005 just herceptin and Arimidex
2005 Navelbine herceptin had RFA Then back on taxol with herceptin
April 2006 progression again went on clinical trial with tykrerb/herceptin progressed on the started Xeloda/ herceptin
Feb 2007 started Doxil
August 2007 Taxotere,Carboplatin and Herceptin exstensive mets to liver and pancreas
October 2007 Had to stop Carboplatin due to sever allergic reaction
Jan 2008
Stopped Taxotere due to progression now on Gemzar and Herceptin
March 2008 Starting Carboplatin, Abraxane, and Herceptin.
kareneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Jean

Good Luck Tousled I hope like Chelee that your MRI comes back clean.

I have only had 10 herceptin trts - but every now and then not often I will have a headache after the hercpetin. I have been able to handle them with 2 Alieve.
So far so good. I think it is the herceptin - but I am sure happy to hear that everyone's MRI are coming back with good news.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #16
tousled1

Jean,

I'm pretty sure my headache is a side effect of the Herceptin. My oncologist prescribed Lortab for the pain but it doesn't even touch it. I've tried excedrin migrane, aleeve, etc. Nothing helps the headache which is constant. I just can't imagine having to endure this headache until next June when I will finish my Herceptin.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote