HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
clisa

Smile Navelbine and Weakness

hi everyone - just looking for some feedback once again - I have just currently completed my third round of herceptin/ navelbine and xeloda. I experienced last chemo as well as this session alot of muscle weakness - primarily my legs but also in my arms.

I get mixed answers from my different doctors as to what can be causing this. My pain management doctor feels it is strictly chemo - though I don't totally agree with this as I did not have it with the first session of this combo and also this is my 11th chemo and did not experience it with any of my other types.

My GP thinks it is the dexamethasone that I take for inflammation everyday - I have gone off the dexa as of thursday and still not seeing any relief yet.

My onc doesn't know and isn't concerned - he is very focused on "treating the cancer" and basically isn't too concerned about side effects - not that he isn't a nice guy - just doesn't see this as a hindrance to my everday life as I do.

This came on fast and some days are better than others - putting out my feelers now to see if any of you ladies have experienced this or have any suggestions.

Noticed my circulation of course is not also at it's best which I am sure is contributing too but don't know why I would be having problems with that as well.

Anyways - anyone? You ladies always have such great suggestions and I thank you ahead of time.

p.s. what other medications do the same job as dexamethasone in case they try to put me back on it - is predisnone an option? I don't need the dexa for nausea - just for inflammation of my liver mets which cause me pain.

Lisa
clisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Barbara H.

Hi Clisa,
It is the dexamethasone that is making your legs weak. It also takes a while to get it out of your system. I don't have any idea about what to do for your pain management, but maybe others with liver mets can help. I have had liver mets but they never caused me pain.
Best regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote