There is info on pet / spect /ct etc on the site which might help give you some more background. You should be able to find it using the search button at the top RH corner.
No, it doesn't always mean Cancer. It can light up when there is an infection of some sort. Although, the majority of the time, it is cancer. Do a google search on Pet Scan and it will give you some more info. The Pet that I had did not light up the liver spots that I had. But when they started shrinking with chemo, it pretty much determined they were. Pet scans are not always accurate either way...sherryg683
FYI - I had an ovary light up on a PET scan. However, when I had an ultrasound, the results came back showing normal activity. Six months later, I had a follow-up PET scan without it lighting. So, it's not always a malignacy.