HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
fuchsia

Lymphangitic lung spread

Is there anyone out there that has lymphangitic lung caronomtosis?
I was diagnosed with it in November 2005,and put on Taxol and Herseptin.
The onc says it has stopped the cancer spreading.Can anyone tell me more about these mets and what they have experienced.
I did ask if I needed to do chemo ,and my onc said i would only have 10-12 weeks if I did not.
Looks like theTaxol is doing some good.
Please let me know if any of you have experience of lymphangitic mets
Many thanks
fuchsia
fuchsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
TriciaK

This sounds very interesting, Fuschia! I have hoped someone would reply who has had experience with this. Can you explain a little more what it is? I did have lung mets but don't know if they were any specific kind. Can you tell us more info on this? I am sure others are very interested, but may not know what lymphangitic lung caronomtosis is. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Lolly

Lymphangitic Carcinomatosis?

Hi; I'm not familiar with this complication either, and hope someone will respond who's had experience dealing with it...I found this explanantion of what I think is your diagnosis, are we on the right track?
<3 Lolly

Lymphangitic Carcinomatosis

Disclosure

Background: The lungs are one of the most common targets for metastatic disease. Most pulmonary metastases are nodular, but a significant minority is interstitial. Lymphangitis carcinomatosis (LC) refers to the diffuse infiltration and obstruction of pulmonary parenchymal lymphatic channels by tumor. Various neoplasms can cause lymphangitic carcinomatosis, but 80% are adenocarcinomas. The most common primary sites are the breast, lungs, colon, and stomach. Other sources include the pancreas, thyroid, cervix, prostate, larynx, and metastatic adenocarcinoma from an unknown primary cancer.

Pathophysiology: LC occurs as a result of the initial hematogenous spread of tumor to the lungs, with subsequent malignant invasion through the vessel wall into the pulmonary interstitium and lymphatics. Tumor then proliferates and easily spreads through these low-resistance channels. Less commonly, direct infiltration occurs as a result of contiguous mediastinal or hilar lymphadenopathy or an adjacent primary bronchogenic carcinoma.

Histopathologic examination reveals interstitial edema, tumor cells, and interstitial fibrosis secondary to a desmoplastic reaction as a result of tumor extension into adjacent pulmonary parenchyma. Metastatic adenocarcinoma accounts for 80% of cases.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote