HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Lolly

Red face Mickey; Maybe Some Help

Dear Mickey, I seem to remember that you live in Oregon, like me...anyway, here is a possible remedy for you if you could switch to a treatment center in the Providence network. I apologise if this is just to much for you to consider at this point, but your situation is so UNFAIR. I had to try again to help. Hugs to you and your kids...Lolly

Oregon and Medical02 Nov 2005 09:47 am
Uninsured Patients Secure First Class Action Settlement With a Nonprofit Hospital System

Providence Health Care Systems in Oregon decided to guarantee fair pricing and charity care for the uninsured. You can read the press release here.

All charges to uninsured patients will be recalculated in two steps.
  1. They will first be recalculated to reflect Providence’s Oregon Preferred Provider average rate, which is expected to reduce the bills by approximately 30% for Portland area patients.
  2. The hospital bills will be further reduced based on the uninsured patient’s income using income statistics determined by the federal government. For example, uninsured patients whose income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level ($38,700 for a family of four) will be entitled to free care at Providence if they do not own more than $75,000 in assets. An uninsured family of four with an income of $77,400 will receive an additional 10% discount from the Preferred Provider rate.
Uninsured patients who have been treated at one of the Providence hospitals in the past four years will be entitled to a refund, vouchers or a recalculation of their bill. For instance, Gordon and Theresa Block, plaintiffs in this case who received a $96,000 bill for emergency treatment for Mrs. Block, will have their bill reduced to $8,900. Plaintiff Gerry Hugo of Medford, Oregon, will receive a refund of almost $7,300 after paying $12,000 on his hospital bill.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
Lolly

Hill Burton Program

Mickey, this program is available in Oregon also.

Hill-Burton Program

Under the Hill-Burton Program, a number of hospitals and other medical facilities receive funds from the federal government so they can offer free or low-cost services to those who are unable to pay. Each facility chooses which services it will provide at no or lowered cost. Medicare and Medicaid services aren't eligible for Hill-Burton coverage. However, Hill-Burton may cover services not covered by other government programs. Eligibility for Hill-Burton is based on family size and income. You may apply for Hill-Burton assistance at any time, either before or after you receive care. Call the Hill-Burton Program for more information on this program. (See Resources section for phone numbers.)

Hill-Burton Program
Telephone Number: (301) 443-5656
Toll Free Number: 1-(800) 638-0742 / 1-(800) 492-0359 (if calling from the
Maryland area)
Internet address: Health Resources and Services Administration

Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
mickey

Thanks for the help Lolly. My insurance only covers legacy. And I DO have some money. Everyone wants me broke. If I spend everything instead of paying a little a month, I will need to sell my home since there will be no money for food or expenses like taxes and util to upkeep the home. I can do fine if the Legacy hospital system will let me pay $100 per month and somehow I can get help with the outrageous thousands of dollars I have to pay out for the xeloda and temodar. Patty suggested switching to Gemzar since it is IV. How unfair is that. Sorry. I am really trying not to rant. I just am in a real spot.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote