HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
al from Canada

update on Linda

well, it's not good news.... linda had been off her chemo (xeloda), but still on herceptin, for about 8 weeks now. We had a PET scan to benchmark tumour load shortly after she went off chemo and another for comparison Dec. 20th. This was to ascertain if her liver mets could be considered "stable disease" as is the requirement for the U. of W. Vaccine Trial. The results came back and there was substantial tumor growth. Linda remains on herceptin and is back on the xeloda.

What next? Obviously no Vaccine. However, the wonderful Dr. Webster has offered to arrange a consultation (second opinion) with their top oncologists, an offer we will accept. As far as treatment decisions go; this is the key reason we would go to Seattle. After hearing the targetted therapy reports at SABCS; We are heavily leaning towards an AVASTIN combo of some sort. The main hurdle is financing the cost of the drug as it is not approved here. Kudos to our oncologist who has agreed to procure and administer the drug but it wouldn't be covered. So, I am starting to punch a lot of phone numbers to sort-out this issue. We have appealed to our insurance carrier to stretch the rules. This will be brought to their Board but I'm not holding my breath.
Names of friends in high places accepted and treated with reverence.

Crappy news for the holiday season BUT, at least she has hair this year.

There's always a "plan B"; that's why they call us survivors.
Al
Old 12-23-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
RhondaH

I'm sorry...

to hear your news. I just said a prayer and will continue to pray. I know you and Linda will find the answer and will continue the fight. God bless you both.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
Sheila

Al & Linda

You are both in my prayers and thoughts...not the Christmas present you want to get...I am hoping that the insurance company will give approval...there is so much waste in the insurance industry, it hurts to see them deny a medication that would be so promising, then putting the burden back on the patient...talk about stress.
May the Christmas season and the New Year bring Linda to stable liver mets...alot of prayers are out there for her.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
kristen

Dear Al and Linda,

I am sorry to hear your news, but if I have learned anything, it's that if there is a way to do something Al is your guy! I will pray for the insurance company~and also with the 2 of you. God Bless, I know it stinks to get news before Christmas, but enjoy that cooking and having everyone over and enjoy the day. Best to you both.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Unregistered

Dear Al,

I am sorry to hear that Linda can't participate in the vaccine trial. Why don't you call the makers of Avastin, they might have some reimbursement program like Genentech has for Herceptin. I know you will find a way. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Anne
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Unregistered

Al, It's good that you're aware that Linda still has many options..you've always been quite good at researching what's out there..I have a feeling that you're on the right track.
I can relate to your frustrations regarding the the drugs...we went through the same thing when trying to get financing for Lapitinib for Carole. Through the generousity of friends, family and neighbors, 23,000 has been raised for her family. I hope that you don't need to go that route and that the drug company will subsidize it partially.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Ginagce

I am so sorry to hear this news. I will put Linda on top of my prayer list.

Hopefully if your insurance does not come through the pharma company will.

In the meantime God Bless you both!
Gina
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Joan

Fighter

Al,
I was sorry to read your post.
You are such a fighter and Linda is blessed to have such tremendous support. I pray that you find a way and that Linda gets to the point that she is a candidate for the vaccine.
In the meantime a 'Very Merry Christmas' to you both. A Christmas with hair is something to celebrate.
Best wishes,
Joan
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
sarah

Al, Linda,
So sorry to hear your news but you always find a way and you will this time also. Genetech makes both Herceptin and Avastin so maybe since they have a program for helping with Herceptin, they may have one for Avastin. Lots of luck. You both are so inspiring to us all and your knoweldge is always so good.
May the New Year, bring in a better one.
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
StephN

Wink With a grain of salt ...

we must take this news.
The positive side is that the mets did not relocate anywhere else that was detectable so you have that going for you. And you know the Xeloda was working very recently, so you have that going for you. So, plan A is more than just a possibility - it will work to reduce the tumor load until you can get on to a new plan.

After San Antonio you have some new weapons to seek out and the contacts to bring them about. So glad you and Linda came down as it was really a pleasure to meet both you wonderful people in person.

Keep in touch and let me know if I can assist you here in Seattle. Our door is open.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
Helen

I am sorry to hear your news. Al, you have always been one of the persons I look up to in this group. I know you will find some way to solve the problem. I will be saying prayers for you and Linda.

Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #12
TriciaK

Al and Linda, You are such an example to us of the fighting vanguard! I know we will all be praying for you and anxious to hear the ways you have found to solve this problem, too. God bless you both to have a special family Christmas and a prayer for good news in 2006. Love and hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
Barbara H.

All I can say Al is that Linda is so fortunate to have you and your support. If anyone can find a way to help Linda beat this disease it will be you. I thank you for that, because we are all benefiting from you tenacity. I wish both you and Linda the best for the holidays and that the year 2006 will be a good one for both of you.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
Sandy H

So sorry to hear this kind of news especially around the Holidays. I will pray that the Avastin issue gets resolved for you. Where there is a will there is a way. Keep up the good work Al. You are a fighter and some times that is all it takes is not to let you guard down to anyone. Don't take no for an answer accept only the best and I know you will. May you and Linda enjoy a Joyous Christmas with your family. Leave your care and worries for Monday. Hugs, to you both, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
Diane H

My thoughts and prayers with you both, may the new year bring great healing.
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
sherri

Dear Al and Linda,

I'm very sorry to hear the news, but with Linda's spirit and your amazing support, I don't have any doubt that you beat the cancer. I'm stage 3 and have been accepted for the vaccine at UW (I think it's a different one) and I'll be in Seattle January 12 & 13. Any chance to see you there for the visit? As for Insurance, if you have extended benefit, for sure you can get approval. The first time I called The Insurance company for Herceptin (before it was approved in BC), they told me No. Then I met an insurance broker and he told me to be very aggressive and even tell them if they don't approve I'll go and see a lawyer. And if they say no again it is worth it to spend $200 and get a letter from a lawyer. Next time I called, I told them I need the drug, it's a matter of life and death, before mentionning the lawyer, they asked me to get a letter from my doctor and they will review it. Voila, they paid for 3 month of herceptin for me before BC approved it. Be aggressive and they will pay for it.
Sherri
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #17
Unregistered

Al and Linda;

I also live in Ontario and go to the General Hospital in Ottawa. I am passing this information along as the system is different here in Canada than the US and perhaps this might help. My onc is Dr. Vince Young who I really like but I don't know if he can help. However, a friend of mine sees Dr. Rowan Segal. My friend has inflammatory bc....not Her2. Dr. Segal had a conference with Dr's at MG Anderson in her case....I was impressed. However, I spoke to another cancer survivor here in town who also sees Dr. Segal and who told me that Dr. Segal trained in the US with Dr. Larry Einhorn who is an associate of Dr. Craig Nichols....Lance Armstrongs doctor. She credits Dr. Segal with saving the life of her husband who had the same type and spread as Lance. He went to Indianapolis for a very specialized operation she arranged. I always thought that if I was in dire straights she would be someone to see. She is known to fight for her patients. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Cathy
Old 12-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #18
Cathya

Sorry...I wasn't registered.

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
lindaw

Dear Al and Linda

It is difficult news to hear around this time but if I have learnt anything in this expereince it is that Al is so good and researching and sharing treatment ideas for us so I have much faith that he will this time.
all the best
love
Lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
Nicola

Update on Linda

Hi Al,

So sorry to hear the news of Linda's liver mets. I will keep you in my prayers and hope for the best. I know that staying positive can be difficult when faced with yet another hurdle but you are just the guy to leap over it. If there is ever any research that you need done and you are feeling overwhelmed by it let me know and I would be happy to try to dig in and do some research for you too.

Linda sounds like such a wonderful women and she is so blessed to have you as her friend and advocate, together you can climb mountians.

YAY for the Hair!

Here is a web site that offers some info on financial help for cancer patients, hope it helps.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/financial-assistance

Big Hugs,
Nicola
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote