HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
BonnieT

Unhappy Shingles and herceptin !!

Hi
I am taking hercpetin alone( and tomaxifen): weekly, and noticed on my left arm some burning and itching with red bumps. So after my herceptin today I saw my Primary Dr. and I have shingles.
So now I can add an antiviral med to my list of medications.
Anyway, I didn't even realize that shingles are a side effect of hercpetin 1 in about 1,000 women get it. So I wanted to pass this info. along, because if you do get it the sooner you can start on the anti viral meds the better.I think they like you to start within 48hrs.
Also my Oncologist said to stop the herceptin until it is healed.
Have a Blessed Christmas !!
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
Joan

Shingles

Bonnie,
Sorry to hear that you have shingles.
That has to be miserable and worrying.
I am taking Herceptin alone and didn't know that shingles could be a side effect. Thanks for the information, I will be on the look out for any symptoms.
Best wishes to you - I do hope that you get rid of your shingles soon.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Joan
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
kristen8594

Hi Bonnie,

I just wanted to tell you that I got the shingles too! Although, I was not on herceptin, I had just finished 8 rounds of chemo and rads in Dec 2003 and in Feb 2004 I noticed that same type of thing you had on my leg. I went to my primary and was shocked to find out it was the shingles. But like you it was caught early and fast treatment is the key. My doc said that many cancer patients get the shingles because of all the chemo and rads weakens the immune system.
Kristen
kristen8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
Unregistered

Dear Bonnie- Is there a test for shingles? I have red spots that sometimes itch all over my hands. Also, under my underarms and under my breast.The dermotologist thought it was an allergic reaction of xeloda and being out in the sun.God Bless- Cathy
Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
BonnieT

HI Cathy
I don't think there is a test for shingles, you had to have had chicken pox before ( most of us did when we were young) and the chicken pox virus stays in your body. It will only affect one side of your body . have you tried taking an antihistamine like benedryl , or putting hydrocortisone on the rash to stop the itch. ( check with your Dr. ) I also seem to get dry skin that sometimes itches, vitamine E ointment helps. I try to wear gloves when I clean or do dishes so I am not washing my hands as much since they get so dry.
Good Luck
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
sarah

I started to get red spots that itched on my right arm when I was on chemo (Taxol) and herceptin. stopped chemo over a year ago, still on hercepting and the itchy spots spread to my back and now my arm and stomach. early on I saw a skin doctor at the cancer clinic who gave me cortisone cream to put on for 3 weeks, it helped at first but they never went away. Shingles seems to happen on only one side and to hurt - this just itches. also the ww.mayoclinic.com site seems to suggest it goes away in a few weeks - this has been almost a year. I will check out the shingles analysis but any other ideas?
thanks
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
janet/FL

I seemed to have joined the group of you that have gotten shingles as the result of a surpressed immune system.
Mine is in my eyes and on my nose. I just started an anti viral drug so hope that will stop it in its tracks.
Since I had already read about the possiblity of shingles on this site, I wasn't too surprised, but certainly never suspected it. I thought I just had a stye in my eyes or something similar.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Unregistered

Me to?

I wonder if I have it too. I have a patch on the top of my right foot that itched and itched and now it is red and sore and bleed when I took my sock off the other day.

I have to go have my herceptin tomorrow so I will ask the nurse to look at it. I also get some other patches like this on other parts of my body.

Oh the fun of it all. But I'll take herceptin since it will save my life.

RAndi
Old 12-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
Lisa

Is shingles actually a side effect of Herceptin, OR does Herceptin just help it come to the surface? Shingles is the Herpes virus. Many, many people have the virus and it simply stays dormant all their lives. I don't believe that Herceptin can CAUSE a virus, but I may be wrong. Also, all red patches are not shingles, but you can be tested.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Sheila

Shingles is usually induced by stress or lowered immune system...seems thst even if you have had chicken pox, you can get shingles...this Herpes virus can lie dormant in the system just waiting for a push.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #11
Lolly

I had shingles about a month after finishing rads for primary disease, and yes, the leisions start out as red, raised bumps that are slightly itchey. Plus, there is usually pain in the affected nerves (the virus lies dormant in a nerve until activated). After a week to 10 days, the leisions scab up and look just like a chicken pox scab, almost black. The more leisions you have, usually the more pain. My mother-in-law is currently suffering from what her doctor termed the worst case she's ever seen, and is in extreme pain in the left chest and on her back, where the leisions were, even though they've all healed up. I was lucky and only had a small quarter sized patch on my cheek near my temple, but had very sharp headaches on that side of my head for months after.

My onc told me it's very common after cancer diagnosis and treatment to develop shingles, due to the comprimised immune system.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote