HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Tracy

First Oncology Visit

Met with my onc today, he said I am her2 positive, all 4 of the lymph nodes he took have cancer in them, now I have to have a ct scan, bone scan, heart test and start chemo on 12/1. He said I have to heal a bit from the 3 surgeries I had in the past 2 weeks. I am just praying it has not spread out of the lymph nodes. This is such a scary thing. Has anyone else had positive nodes without it spreading that is her2 pos and er/pr neg?

He was a wonderful man and I have heard one of the best breast cancer docs in the state. He said even if it has spread it will be a chronic illness, not a death sentence. My husband fell apart today, it really hit him after being there with me. The dr gave me a script for a wig, said I will def lose my hair. Hard to deal with all of this.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Becky

Tracy

You will be okay. I am assuming that you will get 4 doses of AC (adriamycin and cytoxan) and then taxol with herceptin then herceptin alone (to equal one year). If not, you need to discuss this with your onc because Herceptin is specifically for HER2+ breast cancer and its use is new as an adjuvant.

It is very overwhelming at first, the surgery then chemo (and the side effect of losing your hair). But in the Spring, the hair will be back (but short) and you will be on the road to healing.

All of us here have been though this. Having cancer in your nodes does not mean that it will recur. That is why you have surgery, chemo, herceptin etc. - It is all risk reduction.

Ask all the questions you want of us and then your doctor.

Warmest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Unregistered

Tracy,
I remember how hard it emotionally was when I first started the chemo. I remember crying half way to the hospital for my first treatment (which was 2 hours away) because I was so scared. I have to tell you that there were a few things that helped me tremendously.
1. Learning to trust in God
2. Atavan (nice calming drug)
3. A wonderful husband who has been there to support me 110%
I am her2 pos and er/pr pos with 8 positive nodes. As far as I know that is as far as the cancer got. I have a bunch of scans next month, but am sure they will be fine. My hair is long enough now that I go without a wig. (I started chemo in March) I read a lot of books by cancer survivors at first and that helped, especially the humerous ones.

Prayers and hugs,
Lori
Old 11-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
MCS

Tracy,

I know how you feel. It's a real long road ahead with so many questions. I started this road in Septmber. I'm on ac right now. You will lose your hair. Trust me losing hair is inconsequential- it's just what society sees and marks you as a cancer patient. Read the inspirational quotes on another thread from a lot of women like us.

Each day you will lean another problem but you will also learn the solution. Day by day.

There's a welcome wagon board for the babies like us. log in

Blessings to you for Thanksgiving-be thankful the tumors were found. I know the holidays will be hard-i'm with you on this one.

Take care

MCS
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
geraldine

Tracy,
You must be going through hell just now.
I remember how I felt 4 years ago. What was worse was the not knowing. Once chemo started, then I started to get my head round it. The unknown is horrific.!!!!!
I didn't feel as bad about losing my hair as I thought I would and it can be fun to be a blonde or redhead or whatever, as the notion takes you.
Through personal experience, I found that my family took my cancer worse than me. They felt helpless and needed reassured as much as me.
Keep positive and you will come through this cos there are marvellous drugs on the market now that wern't there years ago. It is no longer a death sentence.....
This site is fantastic and you should use it to the full. Loads and loads of answers here

God Bless You
Geraldine
geraldine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
lynnw

Hi Tracy,
So sorry for all you're going through. I remember all too clearly how terrified I was when I was in your same position about 1 1/2 years ago. You are at, what was for me, the scariest point. Waiting for those scan results was horrific! But I can also tell you that things will get better. Once you know exactly what you're dealing with, you can begin a strong fight. Starting chemo will probably be scary, but many women, myself included, felt empowered while in treatment. Each treatment will put you closer to being healthy once again. I'm praying for good scan results for you, and hoping that chemo's side effects will be minimal. Take care.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
lexigirl

first oncology visit

Tracy,
i know how you are feeling. I too was recently diagnosed. I am a stage IIIb her2+++. I am so overwhelmed, but you will feel much better after reading the wonderful posts and after getting the positive responses. I know that before I had my scans that I was sure it had spread to other areas. Thankfully they appeared to look ok (they did find a few gall stones). Take care of yourself...
lexigirl
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
athena453

Tracy,

The beginning is that hardest part. I also was dx young with lots of nodes - 30/34+ at age 27. This is a terrible thing to have to go through. If you would like to email me or have any questions: arielle119@hotmail.com

(I post on the YSC also.)
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Cindi

Tracy,

I had 1 node positive. I am Her2+++ and ER, PR negative. My original dx. was in 4/2002 at age 41. Now, almost 4 years later, I am now a happy 45 year old! I am still here!!!

Hang in there. You are in the early stages of finding everything out. Be proactive. Ask any questions you might have of your doctor and his/her staff. They will give you the answers that they can. They are your medical team.

God Bless and Keep the Faith,
Cindi.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote