HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile Xeloda and Glucose Tolerence

I was reading the post "Can anyone help" and came across the comment that Xeloda can effect your sugar level, well I think I just experienced this first hand. Wednesday night I didn't bother having dinner because I had a large lunch and about 4.00am I got up to go to the bathroom, I went back to bed, felt something soft next thing I know I had bashed my head up against the wall and consequently broke my shoulder bone, ouch!! I have know idea how I got to that part of my room but can relate to a hypoglycemic episod because this happend once before to me and I ended up on the kitchen floor with 2 broken front teeth. I will be asking for a glucose tolerence test. I have been very low in energy pale and eating a lot of sweet things, but not thirsty? I am on Xeloda/Oral Cyclophosphamide and anything is possible.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
jojo

Cool Hi Lyn

Lyn, anything is possible, although next to impossible, too.

I would have NEVER guessed that I might get diabetic, based on my family history and eating habits. Lo and behold, after all the first rounds of chemo (AC/T), my blood sugar has gone wacko, a bit unpredictable.

I am also on Xeloda, so I will ask onc about this as well.

Man, this is crazy!!!! <shaking head>

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Pam P

Interesting.......... with my family history and my not very disciplined eating habits I think I have risk for diabetes. So far my glucose levels always seem to be in the 91-98 range, which I guess is good. Your notes are a reminder to me to eat more carefully.
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
energystar

Smile Xeloda and glucose

I have been on Xeloda (with herceptin) for abt 4-5 months, and it has been a wonder drug for me.
But my sugar cravings have gone crazy recently, and this thread makes me think it may be related to the Xeloda.
I have been on Herceptin for a year so it is probably not that.
Does anyone else have this experience?
energystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
al from Canada

Hmmmm.....I have to wonder as well. Ladies, if you are also taking decatron, that is a receipt for sugar disaster.

Intersting post,

Al
Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
Lyn
A Living Legend

Hi there, no decadon for me, I had bloods done and my sugar was down to 5.3, I think because I have been in so much pain with my neck and shoulders I have had no appetite and it has been the hottest here in Australia for 110 years so I have been drinking gallons of water and picking at fruit and yoghurt, easy food to eat, so it is possible that under normal circumstances the Xeloda could cause sugar cravings, I also wonder if my sore neck and shoulders is a result of the Xeloda as well, I started the Xeloda in September and the pain esculated after I had my fall, something to think about. I am on that much pain meds I could have headaches and don't even know it and my white cells have been low and come the middle of the day I just want to crash and burn and go to sleep, usually about 3 hours, I eliminated the pain meds causing it so I don't know.
I had a punch biopsy today so I will know on Friday if my combo has been working, scan shows nothing there but that means nothing for me and my CA 15-3 is 9 so all will be revealed and I shall post the outcome.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
al from Canada

Thanks Lyn,

This sounds all too familiar.
Good luck,
Al