HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Unregistered

calcium supplements

Did I read in one of the post here, that it is not good for Her2+++ women to take calcium supplements? If this is true, can you tell me why.

Thank you,

Karen
Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
RhondaH

Gina posted this and I sent her a private message asking her the same thing. Here is her reply to me:

Hi,

Unfortunately I am at work and just off my lunch hour..but the main reason is that despite all you read about calcium helping osteoporosis..etc., mostly it is not true...go online and google calcium magnesium homeostasis and you will learn the biology that no matter how much calcium you ingest from diet or supplements, the only amount that will be absorbed is an amount equal to how much magnesium you have in your gut at that particular time...as American diets are notoriously LOW in Magnesium and already way too high in calcium and as her-2 gals are 9 times out of 10 more likely to suffer from mild magnesium deficiencies already and moreso if they have taken the mag depleting chemos of cisplatin or carbo platin..., the reason our bones thin, etc. is because we don't have enough MAGNESIUM...

I know this is so confusing but everything in bio-chemistry operates as a bio-feedback system trying to achieve or maintain bio-chemical balance...if you only have 25 mg of mag in your system and you dump say 1,000 extra supplemental calcium into that system..only 25mg of the 1,000mg of Calcium will be absorbed and less than that if you don't also have adequate stores of Vitamin D....it is all in the bio-chemistry...you can read about it for yourself. I personally think it is a crime what doctors are doing to women in this country by constantly pumping them with supplemental calcium and fosomex and the like...for a while, your body merely excretes the excess calcium through your intestines and kidneys, but after years of over-dosing on Calcium, calc plaque mixes with cholesterol and builds up a waxy substance/biofilm in your blood vessels and arteries and causes high blood pressure and eventually stroke and heart attack. That calcium alone prevents osteoporosis is just a sad myth...no need to take my word for it..do the research yourself and you will see...Fortunately, the benefits of the magnesium for cancer patients is finally trickling down in popular literature like Prevention Mag and some of the health mags...but I think it is too late for your mom's generation...but at least you could help her by switching her to supplemental magnesium to balance the already too much calcium we get in American Diet... and as for you, Dearheart, what ever you do, DO NOT take supplemental calcium. If you want to take something try the basic regimen: at least 800mg of pure mag (not mag citrate); 500 mg of evening primrose; 1,000 I.U. Vitamin D with 20,000 to 25,000 IU real Vitamin A as in fish oil with zinc and olive leaf capsules and a basic no frills multi daily..eat a healthy diet and walk a lot --it will make a big difference...

Hope this helps...there is a lot more but I am rushing..

Email me at home any time..are you going to the San Diego Cure conference?? I wil be there..

Take it easy, smile
Gina
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
chartermom02

I'm confused, as usual - so I should NOT be taking Fosamax and calcium with vitamin D for my osteopenia??? All of my docs were in agreement of this regimen, believe me, I asked them all!!

Gloria from DE
chartermom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Lisa

If you trust your docs and they said do it, unless your intuition says otherwise, I would follow their advice. One of my drugs is Zometa. They recommend calcium and my cancer nutrionist also recommended Magnesium among others.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Unregistered

Calcium Supplement

Lisa,

How much Magesium do you take?

Thank you.

Karen