HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
StephN

Question Left-handed, pre-meno = higher BC risk!

Here is something I just found. Seems like a very curious finding - this left-handed business.
Being post-menopausal and right handed lets me out of this group.
Just curious how many of you DO fit into this group??

Anything we can add from this finding to the positive or negative blood possibilities discussed farther down this list?

Updated: 03:02 PM EDT
Risk of Breast Cancer Higher in Left-Handed Women

By Patricia Reaney, Reuters

LONDON (Sept. 26) - Left-handed women are more than twice as likely as right-handers to suffer from breast cancer before reaching menopause, Dutch scientists said on Monday.
More than a million women are diagnosed with breast cancer worldwide each year. Three-quarters of cases occur after menopause, which usually begins around the age of 50.

Researchers at the University Medical Centre in Utrecht in the Netherlands speculate that there is a shared origin early in life for both left handedness and developing breast cancer, possibly exposure to hormones in the womb. "Left handedness is associated with breast cancer, most specifically pre-menopausal breast cancer," said Cuno Uiterwaal, an assistant professor of clinical epidemiology at the university, in an interview.

He and his colleagues studied 12,000 healthy, middle-aged women born between 1932-1941 who were part of a breast screening programme. The scientists determined their hand preference and followed up their medical history to see which women developed breast cancer.

"If we take pre-menopausal and post-menopausal breast cancer then there was a 40 percent increased risk," Uiterwaal said of left-handed women.

But when they spilt it further the scientists found most of the excess risk was in breast cancer before the menopause.

"We found that left-handed women are more than twice as likely to develop pre-menopausal breast cancer as non-left handed women," the researchers said in the report published online by the British Medical Journal.

Other risk factors such as family history of breast cancer, numbers of pregnancies, smoking habits, and social and economic status were considered.

About 8 percent to 9 percent of women are left-handed. But the scientists said the findings should not alarm them.

"What our study intends to do is focus on this area. We do not know all the causes of breast cancer, that is why we should continue. This may be one new factor that leads us to a better understanding of the aetiology (cause of the illness)," Uiterwaal added.

About 5 percent to 10 percent of breast cancers are hereditary. Most are due to mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes. The earlier the illness is diagnosed and treated, the better the prognosis is for the woman.

"Although the underlying mechanisms remain elusive, our results support the hypothesis that left handedness is related to increased risk of breast cancer," the researchers added.

09-26-05 13:00 EDT
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Sandy H

Steph this is interesting! I'm with you post men. and right handed so that leaves me out. I am interested to see what you get for replies. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
chartermom02

Nope, doesn't fit me either - right handed and was 41 and pre-menopausal at time of diagnosis. I don't seem to fit in any of the categories or risks other than being a female!!
chartermom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
mamacze

Hi Steph! I am right handed and was premenopausal at dx...I guess I am out...Love kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
al from Canada

Linda is right handed. This is sort of interesting stuff AND, did you know that the Netherlands are pridominately Roman Catholic and during that time in history, the catholic nuns (teachers) often "made" left-handed children switch to their right hand....for whatever reason. So...it may look worse for "lefties" than reported.

just some added trivia,
Al
Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
jhandley

leftie

Hi
I am left handed and was pre menopausal before diagnosis.
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Cheryl

Weird

OK, I'm a leftie. What next? Innies and Outies? Just kidding. Who knows what can contribute. Interesting thought.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Lolly

I'm right handed, A+ blood, dx post menopausal...and I'm an innie!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Unregistered

I'm right handed dx premeno at 46yrs.