HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
jojo

Celina -- How is Carole?

Been thinking about her & your family. How is your sister?

1st Dx: May '03 at age 35
Stage 3b
6cm IDC tumor
17/18 + nodes
Neoadjuvant: 4x A/C dose dense; 12x weekly Taxol & weekly Herceptin
Left Mastectomy: Nov '03
27x Rads
Stage 4 since June '04
Still on maintenance Herceptin since the very beginning
Currently on Abraxane (3 weeks / 1 week off)
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Celina

Hi Jojo!

Thanks for asking about Carole. The truth is I haven't wanted to post because it's rather depressing and the last thing I want to do is scare anyone on this website. I'd have to begin by stressing how, in many ways, unique her case has been. Her cancer has been VERY agressive and it's only been 2 years since her original diagnosis. She has never been NED, nor has she ever been even close to being in remission. When she received her original breast cancer diagnosis, she already had extensive liver and bone mets. When she received her original brain mets diagnosis, there were too many mets to count..her doctor ONLY gave her an MRI when she was having significant symptoms.
She is off her trial in Boston still because of low liver function. Although she will receive a last blood test on Wed., it is highly unlikely that her liver function will be high enough to resume the study drug.
She is currently at home. They delivered a hospital bed for her and she is receiving some care from a nurse 4 days per week. She requires care most of the time and my parents, her husband and children are with her constantly. It's, obviously,a very sad time for us and we are all having much difficulty understanding and accepting that there is nothing left to do. But we continue to pray and we will always hope for a miracle. She is in no pain, still eating quite well, but she sleeps a great deal and has more frequent periods of confusion. She is quite weak and though she can walk from room to room, she requires help standing up.
It is so nice to read about everyone on this site enjoying their lifes and in some small way, their good fortunes...because there are many. The drugs and drug combinations today are bigger and better than ever, and I know that everyone will continue to do well, taking each challenge has it comes and forging ahead knowing a cure or something so very close to it is around the corner.
Happy healing to everyone,
Celina
Celina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Julie2

Celina,

I am sorry to hear the news. I very much appreciate your positive attitude and how much you care about all of us here. I sincerly hope for a miracle to happen to Carole and she be back to normal.

best wishes,
Julie
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Sandy H

So sorry to hear your sad story. Sounds like you are all sticking together and trying to support each other. You all are in my prayers.

Julie you say were diagnosed as a stage 3b? That is inflammatory breast cancer did they tell you that? Maybe, we have e-mail before, my memory leads me astray at times. I am always looking for IBC'ers as there are so few of us. I am IBC diagnosed in March 2001. How are you doing? Are you in remission now? hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Julie2

Sandy,

I am not IBC. I was staged as 3b since I had supraclav node involvement. I am in California. Yes I finished my treatment.

Julie
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
al from Canada

Celina,

My heart goes out to your sister, you and your families. Don't lose faith because something may still come up.
Take care,
Al
Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
Lolly

Celina,

I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. It seems such a blessing that Carole isn't in pain. Thank you for sharing with such honesty, and remember that you can lean on us.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
StephN

Unhappy Heartfelt message

Dear Celina -
Was hoping to hear some better news, but liver function is very important to the drug processes, so guess they really need this to be working better. Am sending all my best thoughts that the test will turn out better this time.
Meantime you and your family are doing such great strides to take Carole's ups and downs so well.
I can't help but recall the trip you all took together to Bermuda a while back. This will be a good memory to balance out the difficult times.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote