HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
prayer

Hi ladies,
this is my first time posting and I just need some advice. I am scheduled for chemo this Friday and very confused. I have seen three oncs all have differing opinions and I am forced to go with one as that is what is covered by my insurance. Here is the jist...
I am 35 with a grade 2, SBR score 6, er<5% pr- , her2+++by IHS, 7mm, negative nodes and vascular/lymphatic invasion. I also did not have any cell necrosis or perineural invasion. Sounds pretty good to me ecept everyone is freaking out on me.

The first onc suggested ACx4 or FEC but did not offer stats on either and at the time I did not know any better. She also said that hercepting "would almost certainly not be paid for by insurance."

The second said ACx4 ofr FEC and said that FEC was 59% and AC 47%. I asked her which one she would do and she got mad and said that it wasn't a fair question.

The third said ACx4 +T and herceptin. I liked the sound of that, but my insurance will not pay for him.

This is where I need advice..... Which regmine is better for her2 tumors? Is herceptin only effective in combo with chemo or can I have it after FEC and if so how does it affect its effectiveness. I have hear that herceptin is 50% effective when it is given in combo with chemotherepy. Everyone seems to be having AC.

The second is the way her2 was tested. I have heard that IHS is not very accurate. The second onc said that there was a 10% chance that I would turn out negative on as FISH test. There seems to be a strong corrolation of grade 3 and a high mitotic count with her2. I am a grade 2 and have alow mitotic count, 2/10HPF. I have taught high school biology for 4 years and have a good understanding of what a high power field is and how many human cells can be seen in it...it's about 100. That means they could only see two dividing in each field. Dare I hope? The test would probably cost me money out of pocket.

If you have taken the time to read this I thank you. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.