HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
*_IRENE FROM TAMPA_*

I have "requested" for tumor markers to be drawn on me on a monthly basis. Since my original breast cancer in 1996 I have kept all of my results and have been able to notice a pattern in how they rise and fall. I have had four recurrences since and each time by noticing an increase in my CEA which prompted scanning and finding a new tumor early enough to treat. Of course, I do not depend soley on markers, but I seem to be sensitive to them, especially the CEA in my case.

I know that there are doctors that do not put alot of faith in having them drawn so often - but since we seem to keep things under control by doing this (and my oncs. agree) I feel more comfortable having them drawn monthly for my peace of mind. Of course like I stated we also keep an eye on any other symtoms, if any occur. This does not work for everyone I understand, but if you can establish what is normal for you, then I feel there is no harm and I make sure that I establish a relationship with an oncologist that shares my views.

There are other factors that can give you an increase in the numbers so knowing how your body works is very important so as not to cause you needless anxiety.

My advise is to keep close track of your blood work and establish your pattern. This seems to make me feel like I have at least a little control.

Good luck to you -

Irene