HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
al from canada

Hi everyone,
Linda is looking for and inspirational (survivor) book on BC. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Al
Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Sheila

Al
I know of 2 good ones, Uplift, secrets from the sisterhood of breast cancer survivors by Barbara Delinsky and Beyond Breast Cancer , our stories of hope and courage by Alda Ellis.
Hope this helps
Hugs
Sheila
Old 02-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Kristen

Linda,
I like, There is no place like hope, by vicki giardi (sp) very good.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
imported_Joe

Al,

I've always had luck finding books on Amazon.com. In most cases they have an excerpt from the book.

Regards
Joe
Old 02-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Cindi

The Anatomy of Hope by Dr. Jerome Groopman. It is for EVERY type of cancer patient. Reading it gave me great hope.

I also found that "The Five People you meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom was a good read. Very insightful, how one person's life affects so many others.

God Bless,

Cindi.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
AlaskaAngel

I vote for the Anatomy of Hope too. I have so much anger about some parts of diagnosis and treatment, but this is one book that finally helped me some to feel better.

When I was in Seattle last, at another site online I asked for a list of books that I could try to find to take home with us, because I like to pick up a book and browse it pretty thoroughly. I ended up breaking my piggy bank but learned from people like Christopher Reeve, Michael Gearin-Tosh, and Lance Armstrong...

A.A.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Sue

Remarable Recovery by Hirshberg & Barsch Was one of the most inspirational books I have read about spontanious recovery from cancer. Hear is the publishers summary: Offering the first scientific proof that remarkable recovery from terminal illness happens more than anyone ever suspected, this startling book gives new evidence of the powers of the human healing system. If the scenario has not already occurred, it's one we have all imagined: A routine checkup shows a complication, and a few more tests show cancer. Out of panic, or a desire to live, we search our memories and our communities for stories of people who recovered miraculously from a terminal illness after doctors predicted they would not live beyond a few weeks. What did those people do? Was there a magic cure? Until now, we have had no resource to turn to and no scientific way to interpret such seeming miracles and apply the knowledge to our own lives. Medical researcher Caryle Hirshberg and journalist (and cancer survivor) Marc Ian Barasch went on an epic quest to understand the mystery of those cures which defy current medical knowledge and to find out what these cures can teach us about getting well again. Hirshberg and Barasch sought out and interviewed individuals who experienced a remarkable recovery and who left their doctors baffled in its wake. All of these people approached the healing process in their own unique way. Some had faith in their doctors; others drew upon their spiritual beliefs. Some drastically changed their health habits, while a few others did not, refusing even to quit smoking. But patterns and common threads emerged, pointing to an innate healing system of mind, body, and spirit that can respond dramatically to the assault of disease. Hirshberg and Barasch believe that where the immune system functions beyond what science thought its capacities to be lie the answers to healing for all of us. They propose a new medicine, one based more firmly on the body's self-curative powers. Remarkable Recovery presents the work of a small nucleus of international researchers, unusual patient accounts, and novel theories about the nature of healing
Old 02-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
*_Susan M_*

Thanks Sue for posting! I have the book and agree the cases
are detailed and fascinating! A really different sort of book.

I have seen Anatomy of Hope,couldn't put it down
at the book store. Thanks to those who reminded me to order.

A few more of my inspirational favorites:

A Dietician’s Cancer Story by Diane Dyer

50 Essential Things to Do When the Doctor Says it’s Cancer by Greg Anderson

Hope Lives- After Treatment Survival Handbook
Hope is Contagious- Treatment survival Handbook
by Margrit Esser Porter

My favorite references for diet and alternatives:

Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillan

Breast Cancer Beyond Convention –over 20 authorities on complementary and alternative medicine

VERY WORTHWHILE TO ANY CANCER PATIENT:
Cancer Patient's Workbook By Joanie Willis
Everything you Need to stay Organized and Informed.
Mixed in with humor.
Warning: I misplaced the book thanks to chemo fog,
so I lost the benefits of half the book. Keep this one handy.