HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
mkiley

Hello, this is my first time on this forum. I was diagnosed with probable inflammatory breast cancer in June 2002. ER/PR+ and HER2+++.
Had 2 rounds of CAF when we found bone mets. Switched to femara/zometa/zoladex....stable for over 2 years.....now some bone progression, so time to change to new hormonal....aromasin or faslodex......any thoughts on whether to add herceptin at this time?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Mary Anne
Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Ron, Cyndi's Husband

Mkiley,

With progression beyond the breast, it is now Metastatic Breast Cancer, and should qualify you for more aggressive treatment protocol. Stage IV, HER2, MBC is what Herceptin was designed for. I do not understand why an Onc. would not make that a priority choice. Perhaps there are issues I do not know about, but I think now is the time to begin getting pushy with the Doc. at least get a second opinion!

God Bless You,
ron
Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Sandy H.

Welcome to our board! You will find a great group of caring, proactive and knowdgeable people. Each person is unque and you will find a great wealth of valuable information. I think Ron is right on target by saying now is the time to get aggressive. Usually, Herceptin is added following a recurrence. I am sure others will be posting. Good luck to you, hugs, Sandy
Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Lyn

Hi there and welcome, I don't understand oncology, here is herceptin which isn't cytoxic yet they are willing to put all the other space junk in our bodies first. I think they need to look outside the square and realise that we are HER2 for a reason, meaning we need Herceptin to get rid of it, my choice would be Herceptin and another synergeric drug (works with it) and perhaps even another if necessary, it is all a guessing game getting it right, in the long run I don't believe Herceptin is as bad as they say, I have been doing this since 1998 I had a prognosis of 2-3years a cery agressive BC at that stage, and before I had heard of Herceptin so I had the usual protocol AC Rads CMF and when I finished treatment the very next week end I ended up in hospital with Pericarditus which is a tightening around the heart, or that is what I believe it was because they couldn't even say but kept my in hospital until I was better. I then had Taxotere on its own and only lasted a month in remission then kept doing with different cocktails ever since. Having said that I have been on Herceptin for about 3 years and so called harmless Thyroid medication gave me heart failure in 3 valves, I nearly died, I wasn't expected to come out of hospital and that was 2003, and my left ventricle which they worry about was fine and I continued on Herceptin when I got out of hospital and because I was having a triple dose every 3 weeks I hadn't even gone longer than 5 weeks with out it. My heart today is better and getting stronger and I no longer need valve replacement, but I definately believe Herceptin is one of the keys for our cell division, my latest lump which has been there for nearly 2 years, similar but not the same, so I believe the Herceptin has slowed the growth at least and changed the mutation of the cells. Hope you are not too confused.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
*_Christine_*

Anne
Herceptin should always be a part of your Tx. unless there is a problem .
Aromasin seems to get good results and can be given with Herceptin
.Hugs
Old 01-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
JoJo

Hi Mickey,

I have taken all that you just mentioned, except for Zometa, but not in that particular order. I took Femara, then at 1st progression, I moved onto Faslodex, then again at 2nd progression, I am now taking Aromasin. Femara & Aromasin come in the pill form; Faslodex is a monthly injection.

I have been taking weekly Herceptin in conjunction as well.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
JoJo

Oh, and I am still taking Zoladex. In fact, it has been a budding sidekick to all my hormonals all along.