HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
michelemd

Hello

Seeking feeback on survery. My breasts are a MESS -- with recurrence, even though the Herceptin is keeping it at bay in bones, kidney and most nodes.

They have tried THREE chemos -- no avail so far; my skin is gone on the right breast. I look awful - need to keep dressing on the breast, and it oozes stuff.

Dr says radiation might hurt lung tissue and leave open wound forever.

Surgeon says I cant have surgery becuase theyd have to take me off chemo for a month and do major reconstruction because not enough skin.

How strong do you have to be to go through radical mastectomy with skin grafts? What are the risks and side effects? Can I die?

I am concerned all the chemos that don't work will harm my system even more in the long run.

Should I seek advice from a second surgeon, even though I have the best in the region?

Has anyobody ever heard of such surgery on a Stave IV patient -- or do we all have to wait for clinical trials and more drugs???

TESTING: Has anyboyd tried that clinic in Long Beach that will take your tumor tissue and test it against all the drugs to see which one might be the best one to kill your cancer??

Thanks for your feedback - you guys have been great.

Michele in MD
Old 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
al from canada

Michele,
One has to wonder how things can go this far and you still have no clear-cut answes to any of it. You seem dissatisfied with your treatments so far: I would shop-around for another opinion form a whole new TEAM, surgeon, radiologist and oncologist. From what I read, you have ben told your options are limited in many areas. Find a team who will give you the options you are looking for, because there are always options!
All the best,
Al
Old 01-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Sandy H.

I am IBC so am stage 111b diagnosed 4 years ago. I had a modified radical mastectomy with graft to the chest wall. I also had a profalactic simple mastectomy on the other side. The skin from the profalactic was used as the graft on the radical side. I do have skin mets but have never had any open areas only a rash that pops up and goes away with chemo. I would get some other opinions and then decide what you want to do. Keep looking until you can do something. Some times we think we have the best, until we step out of our comfort zone and find other options. You can always come back to where you start from. Good luck. Hugs, Sandy
Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Lyn

To Sandy, I think I have asked you this before, so here goes again, does your IBC stand for Inflammatory or Invasive BC.

Thanks Lyn
Old 01-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
Lyn

Hi Michelle, I had my radical mastectomy in 1998 and I have been having chemo and radiation ever since for nodes and skin mets. I was due to have my reconstruction in October 2003 while still on chemo but heart failure put that on the back burner for 12 months so seeing plastic surgeon next month for another go at DEIP. His only concern with me being on chemo was the toxins for his staff, I had to have had 72hour break and then he could operate, he wasn't concerned about healing because he does a lot of reconstructions at time of mastectomy and then the patients go on for their treatments. I have had a lot of different chemos but I am still considered healty even with all of the setbacks I have had along the way, my worst side effect has been with Taxol with neuropothy in feet and finger tips and I didn't have this with Taxotere so depending on your general health it is hard to say because we all react differently to the drugs. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
michelemd

Thanks guys!!

I am typing out list of questions for my onc.

Will start physical therapy and consult another surgeon.

Bless you all!!!

Michele