HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Anonymous

Did any of you have symptoms or were they discovered by routine scans. I recently went to Onc; all bloodwork was fine. But I've had a pain in my side that doesn't go away anymore and is getting a little stonger. I hate to feel like the boy (girl!) who cried wolf but I'm concerned.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Janelle

My symtoms were excessive weight loss and lack of sleep. Had some "fullness" in upper abdomen, but never any pain. Hope this helps.

hugs,
janelle
Old 02-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
Linda in TX

My liver mets were discovered during routine scans after finding another lump in my breast. I had no symptoms at all and the lesion was found to be 7.5 cm. I am currently on taxotere/herceptin and the lesion is shrinking wonderfully. I might add that my bloodwork 3 months prior to the discovery was "a bit high but still within the normal range". Although there could be many reasons for the pain in your side it is always a good idea to have it checked out. Best of luck to you.

Linda
Old 02-24-2004, 03:15 AM   #4
Steph N.

Yes, I did have some discomfort in the right side just above my waist and under the rib cage where the capsule surrounding my liver was enlarged and pressing on a nerve.
BUT - and this is a BIG one! My bloodwork was ALL normal range for liver functions (very normal) - only CA 2729 was up to 57 from 24 3 months prior. The rest of this is that right up to the point of discovery I had been feeling just fine and had no idea that the tumors had taken over more than 50% of my liver! My med onc was really shocked as well.
So, feeling fine until the week before regular checkup and liver functions ran normal. (I found out that a person can function normally with only 10-15% liver working.)
Based on my experience, I would get any new pain checked out. I have had a couple of other pains (scares), that my med onc had the appropriate test done for and so far all NEGATIVE. Probably the herceptin keeping me NED - praise God for this drug!
Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 AM   #5
Lisa

SCREAM "wolf" if you have to. I, too, had normal blood work done 3 months prior to discovering liver mets throughout 25% of my liver. While looking for something else, a CT scan found it. Why not insist on one? If nothing else, for your peace of mind. Also, in hindsight, I had a pain in my back under my right shoulder blade, which I later learned is a sign of cancer in the liver.

Let us know your results!

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
Staci

I had no symptoms when I was diagnosed. My CA was up from 10 to 21, but still well within the normal range. A rountin PET Scan picked up 4mm 17 mm lesions on my liver. I had them removed with RFA followed by chemo. So far so good, but I am doing a stem cell transplant to increase my chances of staying NED.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #7
Marsha B

I also have mets to the liver. I was tired and had "flu like" systems for about two weeks. I was seven years NED and never even thought about it being my Cancer again. Surprise it was, I would go in and get a scan for your own peace of mind. Your onco will totally understand. Please let us know!
peace,
Marsha