HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
sarah

hi everyone,

i'm new here so i'm not sure what to say or what to really ask.

my mom was diagnosed in june with idc. she had a mastectomy, no node involvement, 1.3 cm tumor, so that makes her stage 1. her path report showed that she's her2 positive. her oncologist recommends doing chemo along with herceptin.

i guess we're wondering if we should just go with the standard care of stage 1, without the herceptin or go ahead with the chemo & herceptin. i'd appreciate any thoughts or links regarding this... i've read as much as i can on the web about it, but would love to hear some stories or advice.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
joy

Welcome sarah, sorry you have to be here, but this is THE best site out there. I personally can't answer your questions, but many of these amazing women here can help you. If I had it to do over again as a stage 1 and could get herceptin I think i'd go for it. We'd love to know more about you and your family too.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE joy
Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 AM   #3
Rozebud

Welcome!

That is a hard and personal decision. I'd recommend going back and reading some of the former posts on herceptin and early stage bc. I think most of the women on the site would encourage your mother to get it if she can. You just need to weigh the potential benefit against the possible side effects (heart).
Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 AM   #4
eleanor

Hi,
you know there is no way to predict how someone will respond to drug therapy, but if I were first dx and herceptin were available to me I would take it immediately.
el
Old 07-20-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
Sheila

Sarah
First of all how wonderful to be helping your mother out with finding the best treatment....the bottom line is you have to make alot of decisions....we can all give you our opinions, and you can take them under consideration, but the ultimate decision is your Moms. Your Moms breast cancer sounds very much like mine, Stage 1, Neg nodes, same type,Her2 Pos., but I had a smaller tumor. Herceptin wasn't available to me 2 years ago...I would have taken it in a heartbeat
Well, I now have mets to the lymph nodes in my neck and I am now on Herceptin...but I always wonder if this would have happened if I had taken Herceptin early on....my advice would be take it if she can...it may depend on the type of chemo she gets, as Adriamycin and Herceptin can cause problems with the heart. Good luck to your Mom, I know she will make the best decision.
Hugs and Prayers to you both
Sheila
Old 07-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Meg

Hi,
So sorry about your mom. I was dx stage I, 1.2 cm turmor, no nodes, er/pr+ and HER2+++. I am 42 and in a study to see what the benefit of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin will be for early stage cancer. I have just finished chemo and begin raidation in a few weeks. I'd be happy to talk with you or your mom, just email me.