HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Linda in Calif

Hi Regina: I had a question for you....When I approached my Onc. with the idea of having my ovaries removed (I'm stage III, ER/PR +, Her2+++, age 51) he wouldn't authorize it. Said the Tamoxifan would be just as good and didn't want me to have to go through another surgical proceedure. I wasn't terribly thrilled about this but figured he was the Dr. so he should know what he's talking about...but I wonder....
Why did your Dr. recommend this proceedure instead of just taking the Tamoxafin? Take Care, Linda
Old 01-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #2
Regina

Hi Linda,

I am only 37 and raloxifene is only for post menopausal women. They need to put me into menopause first. It really mainly has to do with my age.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
lauren

I had mine out last year, and I haven't regretted it for one second. It was the easiest thing I have ever done. I had them out using laparoscopy. I was recovered in a mere day. Not fully recovered, but back to doing my thing.

I believed I had a risk of ovarian cancer based on family history and my own breast cancer. Plus, my cancer was er/pr positive. I wanted no more children. So, it was an easy decision. I made the decision and TOLD my onc about it.

Didn't ask. I told her what I wanted, and she sent me to the gynecologist that she recommended for it.

Hope this helps...

lauren
Old 07-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #4
michele u

susanne,
I had my ovaries removed when i had my axillary dissection. I did not know at the time if i was hormone pos or not. I took them out because a) i had a cyst on one that looked ugly 4 months before that B) no one can tell you for sure it won't go to your ovaries c) eventhough i am hormone negative, i know some gals have their cancer turn hormone pos and some pos turn neg. when they have a recurrence. I would say if you done having children have them out. I gained some weight, but other then that no complaints.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 AM   #5
susanne

Thanks. I need to gain weight! A good 20 lbs would be great. How should I approach this with my onc? She will consider just about anything I ask, but I must present a compelling reason. I am h2Neu pos. er+ and pr- last time I checked!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
michele u

Well there is your reason right there er pos. That is enough for them to want to suppress you hormones. Either by shots or removing them. Like i said if are done having children and your er pos. I wouldn't think you would need to ask twice! If you were er neg like me, all i had to tell them that i was having ovary pain for years, which was well domunented and that was enough. I know it seem like a hard decision, I didn't want to go into menapause instantly (and gain 26 pds) but some of the weight i needed to gain. When i went for my first onc appt i weighed 100 pounds.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
lauren

If you are pr positive, that is good enough. Progesterone is VERY dominant at the end of your cycle. I was highly pr positive and that alone was reason enough for me...