HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2004, 06:03 AM   #1
Leslie

Hi,
I would appreciate any imput on this subject.
Baseline bone density at breast cancer diagnosis was above normal. With follow up scan 2 years later I have dropped 13% making me osteopenic. (Chemo induced menapause). I will need to be on treatment, and thought that Zometa would be a good drug to use. Since it is a bisphosphonate like Fosomax, it seems like it would address the bone thinning problem and perhaps help keep my bones resistant to getting bone mets. I believe Zometa is only FDA approved for bone mets and not osteoporosis at this time, so treatment would be off label. Is anyone using Zometa or Aredia for osterporosis without documented bone mets? Seems like these are good drugs and I really don't want to take the oral drugs. I will see my doctor soon and wanted some opinions before I went in.
Thanks, Leslie
Old 08-01-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
Sandy H

The nurses in my oncology has mentioned about using this drug for this purpose. Its not approved but they seem to think it should be. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-01-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
lauren

I get Zometa off study and off label (non mets). I asked my doctor for the same reasons you are asking yours, and she gave it to me. Good luck!