HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2004, 04:27 AM   #1
Janelle

I just found out that the new Oncoligist I'm scheduled to see on 8/17 is a D.O. (a doctor of osteopathic medicine). Since I was dealing with Michigan State University, I guess that I assumed they would all be M.D.'s.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between MD's and DO's? Which do you see and does it matter? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~hugs

Thanks and hugs ~

Old 08-01-2004, 05:03 AM   #2
jojo

Hi Janelle,

I did not even know that onc's could be DO's. I thought that in order to become an onc, you would have to get a MD degree only.

I do have a primary care physician who is a DO, though. Every time I see him, he usually asks me what is my stress level. No other MD's ever asked me that. If I had to guess, my doctor probably believes that stress could affect the body elsewhere, other than the original problem site. Perhaps DO's have a more general picture of one's body to figure out medically, instead of one targeted area.

Sorry, I can't be of much help, but this is just my 2 tiny cents here. :-)
Old 08-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Lisa

An osteopath is like a doctor and chiropractor combined. They are medically trained. No problem there. I believe they do look more at the whole body than most MD. In fact, the doctor who discovered my mets is an osteopath, and I love him! I'll bet you'll be in excellent hands.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
Lolly

Janelle,
My grandfather(now deceased), was a Doctor of Osteopathy who ran a practice specializing in Internal Medicine and practiced as a family physician. The training is the same as for an MD, with the addition of a sub-speciality in the musculo-skeletal system. I think you get a bouns when you're cared for by a D.O.!
Love, Lolly
Old 08-03-2004, 01:06 AM   #5
Vicki

In Australia osteopaths do not have the same medical training as MDs but often refer to themselves as "doctors" and claim "medical training". Such training here is TOTALLY DIFFERENT to the training oncologists would receive. I don't imagine things are that different in the US. Perhaps you should ask your oncologist.