HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2004, 02:55 AM   #1
arati

i read an article that the intake of milk is not good for people with breast cancer... what do you say..i hv gvn up milk and dairy products but dont know if i really shd?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:05 AM   #2
Merridith

Hi Arati:

I have read that milk isn't good for you as well, however it depends where the article is coming from and what research it wants to emphasize. Milk can also be very good for you.

In North America, farmers produce high-volume milk be injecting hormones into their cows to force them to produce much larger than normal quantities of milk. North American milk cattle have one of the highest level of medication in the world, particularly in the United States. (It apparently isn't as bad in Europe). These (female) hormones could go into the milk and then you can ingest them. This MIGHT influence your cancer, but as far as I know there is no scientific proof.

I think you live in India. Do farmers do the same there?

You can avoid these hormones in North America by drinking goat or sheep milk. Those animals aren't medicated.

Another theory that I have read about is that sugar encourages cancer growth. Milk contains lactose which is a form of sugar. If you want to avoid milk for this reason, buy lactose-free milk.

Personally, I don't worry about it. The theories out there are a legion. If we were to eliminate all the theoretical cancer-causing foods from our diets, we would only be able to live on toothpicks and water. I would suggest that you keep on enjoying your dairy.

Take care,
Merridith

Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Lisa Shipes

All food no matter what you eat, even if you ate a diet of all vegetables, or all fats, eventually turns to sugar in your body (in the form of glucose). This is what each cell in your body, whether it is a normal cell or a cancer cell, uses for energy. There is no way around basic biology and biochemistry.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #4
arati

yes u r right i am from india and i do think that hormones are pumped into our cows. that is a good idea ..wl change to goats milk soon... thanks.. its amazing how this sight can helph