HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
LOPSIDED

Question Does Your Skin Heal Quickly After Radiation?

My poor fair skin will be so relieved when that last radiation treatment gets here, I am really red and it looks like my skin is breaking out in a rash above on my chest. I am half way thru 35 treatments. I see the doctor every week and he thinks it looks like he expected it too considering how fair my skin is, he told me to keep using aquaphor and hydrocortizone. I feel like a big baby complaining about radiation. Does your skin heal quickly once radiation is over?
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Cathya

I didn't have the problems overall that many have but I was blasted in my clavicular node area and if I even touched it for about 5 weeks it bled. I had creams which helped and I used to carry around a wet (water) baby facecloth in a baggy in my purse that I could put on it if I was out and it was sore. That was my greatest relief. I had no other problem but know a few ladies who are still (after one year plus) red in a square around the area they were radiated. They are not sore but the area is still red. Like everything else....it passes. Best of luck.

Cathy
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Becky

I healed pretty quickly after burning like a crisp. My radialogist couldn't even look at me at the peak (blisters and sores in the moist places - like under the breast and arm). I ended up getting Silvedene cream (a prescription). I also used Fruit of the Earth 100% pure aloe gel. I put it on all over at least 2X per day and let it dry before putting on a cami. I also used cami's with built in bras (for work) as they were much more comfortable than a bra (I had a lumpectomy so I still have my breast so I don't know how to recommend more comfort if you had masectomy and have a prothesis - maybe someone else can comment). There was another ointment called Biofine that I used. It used to be a prescription but its not anymore but my pharmacist had to order it. It is about $25 per tube but it works much better than the aquaphor (which is more like vaseline).

5 weeks after radiation was over I had my yearly gyno appt. My gyno said I had the best looking radiated breast (5 weeks post last rad) that he had ever seen (no scabs or anything was left). It did look good considering but I think that is how it goes and you heal fast. Eating right, mild exercise and lots of rest help alot too.

Have a nice weekend and holiday

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
janet/FL

I used aloe gel right after tx--Before getting dressed. Don't know that it helped, but my skin, along with Aquafor tht I put on when I got home, did all right.
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Sue2001

Hi, I also have extremely pale skin and ended up with some bad burns. I thought for sure I would have scars for the rest of my life but I was amazed at how quickly it healed. Within a week it no longer hurt and was healed within two. I have some minor scars but as the years go by they get lighter and lighter. Keep using all the creams you were given - It's very important. I was also given large saline pads to place on my skin. It added moisture to my skin and cooled it at the same time. These were wonderful!! A radiation nurse gave them to me.

Hang in there, Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Bev

Last rad tomorrow! Only peeling under breast and at nipple. Also prescribed biafine. It's parafin based. The areas that aren't in the boost field seem to be healing and fading already after 10 days. I have a friend who at 2 years out says the only thing lingering is a patch of dry skin. Good luck, BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
michele u

are you using 100% alovera? You can get it at Walmart. It's clear. That really helped me
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Unregistered

I'm a redhead so I burned pretty badly and was bleeding toward the end. I used silverdine (sp?) several times a day and while I was getting dressed after rads. I healed up great -- it was amazing how nice the new skin looked!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
R.B.

Oooowch !

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #10
Tessa

Aloe + visualization

I also recommend 100% aloe very gel, I slathered it on immediately after radiation and I actually didn't burn. Another tip I got from a previous radiee was to visualize cooling water during the actual radiation. I would imagne myself under a refreshing tropical waterfall, or splashing in a cool, clear lake, or just think of water flowing over dar stones in an ornamental Japanese garden. I think that helped too.

All the best.
Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
tricia keegan

I too have very fair skin but used the aloe vera from day one and all I have is a little redness and an itch! I am doing the boost and have 3 out of 10 done although they do think I will suffer with this as it's in the nipple area.(Ouch) I was told to only use the hydrocortizone cream for 7 days as it thins the skin.Try the aloe, I'm convinced thats what has helped me.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
storyteller

Been there.

My radiation treatment ended 12/30/05 and I was amazed at how quickly my skin healed! Keep your spirits up.

I am extremely fair and the description of your experience sounds just like mine. However, just over half way through treatment, the itching and severe discomfort did subside yet remained "irritated." I loved the feeling of aloe vera as it kept me cooled, but I used the prescription dr gave me in addition.

I also took prescription pain medication especially about 5-6 hours after treatment per my doctor's recommendation. Do whatever you can to make it through these next few weeks...there is a light at the end! (Don't feel badly about complaining. Radiation isn't a breeze for everyone!
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
mts

My rads were no problem. I had 35 treatments that ended in August of '05.

In the last two months though, I have had this awful rash just under my breast and armpit. Itches like crazy. It's the bra. It rubs the skin and irritates it. Plus, I think the Herceptin has made my skin more sensitive. So, here I am, a year later and having a reaction.

Maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #14
Andi

I, too, and fair skinned,Aloe Vera made my skin more red, I then used Biofine during radiation, when I got into the boosts, my doc told me to go buy some Desitin cream (not the jell) and use that, it was sooo soothing and I healed up right away.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote