HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
madubois63

the latest adventures of madubois63

So, it's 7:30 am on Saturday and I am still in a light sleep. I feel my nose dripping (blood) and wake up. I grab some tissues and pinch my nose. Get up, go to the bathroom, make some tea, check my e-mail...my nose is still bleeding. I use Ice...still bleeding...two hours go by and I called the oncology center. The NP calls me back and says to come in for a CBC. She tells me I will probably need a platelet transfusion. So I drive with my big box of tissues and I am still bleeding....my platelets are low but not seriously low. The doctor on call orders a transfusion...I drive to the hospital and have now have finished my second box of soft (aloe) tissues. A bed is waiting for me. They take some blood (I joke - why not just take it from my nose)...They didn't have my blood type, so I had to wait for a few hours for a delivery from the blood bank. My mom, sister and one nephew hop on the ferry and come to the hospital. It becomes obvious that I was not going home that day. After 7 1/2 hours and several of those scratchy cheap hospital tissues, my nose FINALLY stopped bleeding. This morning they did another CBC and then my oncologist's NP came in and said, "your not gonna like this..." My reds and whites dropped considerably since yesterday, but my platelets were good. They would not release me unless I had a blood transfusion. I agreed as long as I was home in myobed to watch Desperate Housewives. I got home about 7ish and feel fine. This was a total surprise to me. I felt fine except for the nose bleed...In any case love you all and am praying for all of us!!! Ugh - I hate this disease!!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Barbara H.

Dear Madubois,
So sorry to hear about your continuing ordeal. I'm impressed with your abtility to keep your humor through all of this, and laughed when you said you needed to get home to watch Desperate Housewives.
Thinking of you and hope you continue to feel better!
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Sheila

Maryann
You turned a serious situation into a humorous one for all of us....you are so lucky you were not forced to use hospital kleenex....you would have suffered some serious abrasions along with everything else...so glad you are doing better.....take care of that nose...sounds like you have some delicate vessels in there that wanted to act up!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Lolly

Gosh, talk about springing a leak! So sorry you had such an ordeal, but your medical team sure takes good care of you.
My husband is a border-line "bleeder" and tends to get nose bleeds. Believe it or not, jello works wonders. It doesn't stop a bleed instantly of course, but will help prevent a recurrence if you eat some daily for a few days or so.
It's one of those folk medicine things, my mother-in-law told me about it.

Thanks for the update Maryanne
<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
Sue2001

My goodness Maryann, what a way to spend your weekend! I'm so glad everything worked out ok and also that you made it home in time for Desperate Housewives. You have a wonderful outlook on life and a great sense of humor.

Take care of yourself. Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Maggie

Thumbs up

Maryann, I'm glad your home and all is OK, now! Take care of your self and let us know how your doing in a couple of days.

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
CLTann

Nose bleeding can be quite dangerous for any person. My folk treatment is to pinch the middle part of the nose for more than 6 minutes, while breathing through the mouth. That is the area where you can feel the indentation or concave shape. In most instance, the bleeding will stop. If one is vulnerable of nose bleeding, stop taking aspirin or blood thinning medication.

The above treatment obviously does not cause any harm. For safety, you should continue do what you would otherwise do, like going to the emergency room for help. Hopefully, you would have done what the medical team has spent 7 to 8 hours in their method.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
madubois63

And would you believe?? No Desperate Housewives tonight AND Grey's anatomy is a rerun!!!! Not that I wanted to stay in the hospital...

I will try the jello - thanks!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
Old 04-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Chelee

Hi madubois63, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal...or should I say nightmare. Seems with this darn disease its always something. I was going to post and tell you Desperate Housewives weren't on after you hurried to get home...but I see you BEAT me to it in your second post.

I am on the herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin also. I have always worried a bit because I always have a bloody nose. Not like you are talking about! By no means even close. But maybe its the herceptin causing it? I just know EVERY time I blow my nose my tissue is full of blood. I do mean always. Not alot...but enough to have red all over the tissue. Not to mention occaisonally dried up blood clots that come from the back of my nose. It stays all crusty in there. I have had to really take care of it to keep it in check.

I like your sense of humor in such a situation as yours. Especially you telling them to take blood from your nose. lol I bet that got some laughs.

I can't believe you got through all that and actually made it home. Your a tough cookie! I hope and pray you are feeling much better by now. I am sending your WARM HEALING thoughts. Hang in there...and you are in my prayers.

Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
RhondaH

Maryann...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
lisahammo

Hi Maryann

Glad to hear you got through the ordeal. I was surprised to see your thread, as I was going to ask about nose bleeds tonight. I find that the Taxol gives me nose bleeds, and I get them about 2-3 times a week. I usually bleed for about 10-15 minutes, nothing like what you went through, but I have often wondered if anyone else has this problem.

My chemo was cancelled AGAIN today. 3rd week in a row. My platelets were very low, are now back up, but now my haemoglobin and neutrophils are low. Borderline blood transfusion. Very frustrating. I feel like I'm not doing anything to beat this bloody thing at the moment.

Look after yourself. We have Desperate Housewives on TV tonight, but no Greys Anatomy!

Take care.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
cherylynnie

Wink

Maryanne,

My nose bleed through most of chemo. Everytime I would blow my nose there was usually blood. I went through a boxes of tissues. Then when I had my last Taxotere, there was no more bleeding. It was weird.

If your nose is bleeding that badly sometimes nothing will stop it. All long time ago when we lived in Fort Worth, my husband was prone to nose bleeds, his bleed for over 2 hours and nothing would stop it. I had to take him to the emergency room, and they put a facial tampon (that is what they called it)up his nose and then he had to make an appointment with an ENT doctor to carterize the vessel that was broken. Of course it took two days to get the appointment. After that he carried around Afrin and tissues. The afrin helped stop the nose bleeds. He also used vaseline to moisted the area.

I stayed up to watch Greys and it was a rerun..argh. My husband hadn't seen that episode, so we still watched. He thought it was hysterical when the lady lived after her heart caught on fire.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, hang in there.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
tricia keegan

HI Sorry to hear about your "ordeal".Nosebleeds can be very scarey.Mine bled all through chemo,again nothing like yours or as sudden but it went on for months and has only stopped now as I'm nine weeks finished chemo.Glad you could see the funny side though,I have found that a great attribute with this disease. Good health to all
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
madubois63

Thanks for all the well wishes. when I was little, I would get nose bleeds when I got a cold, so I guess I have a sensative nose. I have been getting nose bleeds since being on Taxotere, but nothing like this. I truly was surprised that I needed a transfusion. I thought the headache I had was from my LOUD roommate...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Sherryg683

Hospitals suck and it was even worse that there was no Desperate Housewifes and I'm getting tired of all the Greys Anatomy reruns too. You have been through so much and keep plugging like the brave gal that you are. You are such an inspiration. Hope you don't have to go through that again...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #16
Annemarie

Nose bleeds

Hi,
I am glad you are feeling better and it was not cancer! I get nose bleeds with oral decadron.
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote